PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on cleaning Fidelity deluxe film holder

Rael
24-Jul-2017, 07:12
I bought some film holders (either from here or eBay, I can't recall) and one of them must have been used on a beach shoot because it's full of fine white sand. Before I trash it, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to clean this thing. I tried compressed air, but it still feels gritty, like there is stuff stuck in the felt seals and it just keeps grinding whatever is in there to a fine powder and spreading it on the inside platen. I'm about ready to just dunk it in a bucket of water and if that doesn't work, toss it. I can't see a way to get inside it.

jim10219
24-Jul-2017, 08:34
Have you tried a vacuum? Use the brush attachment and try blocking off some of the area to concentrate the flow of air. Also, maybe get something like a pipe cleaner, or one of those things kids use to clean their braces to thread down inside there and knock some stuff of that junk loose.

Rich14
24-Jul-2017, 10:06
I bought some film holders (either from here or eBay, I can't recall) and one of them must have been used on a beach shoot because it's full of fine white sand. Before I trash it, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to clean this thing. I tried compressed air, but it still feels gritty, like there is stuff stuck in the felt seals and it just keeps grinding whatever is in there to a fine powder and spreading it on the inside platen. I'm about ready to just dunk it in a bucket of water and if that doesn't work, toss it. I can't see a way to get inside it.

Rael,

I don't think dunking the holder in a liquid is going to help. I would not dunk it in water. Even though using compressed air has not cleaned it enough, that's the best way to go. It may be that your compressed air stream is not strong enough or the nozzle is not focusing the stream of air. Are you using a compressor, or a can of air? I don't think anything less than a compressor with a focused nozzle will give you enough force for as long as its needed.

I recommend you just keep at it with the air. The grit will eventually be gone. Whether it's worth it to spend the time to accomplish that is the question.

Rich

Jac@stafford.net
24-Jul-2017, 12:32
This suggestion comes from my cleaning sand filthy car engines with inaccessible crevices. You must have a compressor capable of 60PSI. Flood the holder with a Teflon lubricant, concentrating on the edges, hard-to-reach parts, then let it sit for a few minutes. Finally blast it with air from the darkslide insert, down, with the bottom flat open. Repeat once. Try the darkslide and if it still finds grit, throw it all away.

Doremus Scudder
24-Jul-2017, 15:15
FWIW, I've run lukewarm tap water from the kitchen faucet through the light traps of several Riteway and Fidelity holders with no ill effects. I didn't do it for long and dried them quickly and carefully. I'm not sure if the glue holding the light trap material would weaken or dissolve with extended wet time or not. As a last resort, you may want to try this yourself.

A note on the brush attachment for vacuuming: I keep a dedicated upholstery attachment just for filmholders. I've taped around the brush leaving only about 1/4 inch of bristles exposed to concentrate the airflow. I vacuum the light trap openings and the rest of the holder before each loading. Sliding the darkslide in and out with the vacuum attachment held close underneath helps too.

Best,

Doremus

Rael
24-Jul-2017, 18:18
Thanks, all. Some good suggestions. I do have access to a compressor. I'll try blasting it first, then the taped upholstery attachment.

AtlantaTerry
27-Jul-2017, 02:12
Here is a tip to help the darkslide move smoothly in and out: Beeswax.

Secure a bar of Beeswax from your local beekeeper. GENTLY move each of the two long thin edges of the darkslide down the block of wax.
Do NOT lubricate the single short end of the darkslide because that could contaminate the felt light trap.
Also do not lay the darkslide flat on the bar of wax, just touch the thin edges.

Yes, if you can not find a bar of beeswax, you can purchase a block of Parafin from your local grocery store but I want to keep the bees employed.

Rael
27-Jul-2017, 04:21
I happen to have beeswax laying around for creating paper negatives. Thanks for the tip!

Martin Aislabie
28-Jul-2017, 13:59
I too got sand stuck in the light traps on my film holders.

I found tapping them firmly repeatedly on the hinge end as well as the darkslide end helped dislodge the grit, when used in conjunction with compressed canisters of camera cleaning gas connected to the little fine tubes shoved in to the film light traps.

Also, repeatedly wiping the light trap area of the darkslide as it was slid in and out.

The grit leaves deep marks on the darkslides but I'm not sure it does any other real damage.

Martin

AtlantaTerry
28-Jul-2017, 18:26
One cleaning sheet film holders, one of the problems is dust being held in place by static electricity. There is a tool that is very useful for eliminating static electricity: ZeroStat.

When you squeeze then release the trigger, positive and negative charges are released from the front thereby neutralizing any static electricity. I have used these for many years.

One is also useful for zapping a sheet film holder prior to inserting film. Just be sure no unexposed film is nearby because the ZeroStat puts out a low level glow due to the spark being generated by the piezo crystal.

From time to time you can find a ZeroStat on eBay or they are available new for about US $72. Here is one source: http://www.reyzersystems.com/store/1a-281407-B0033SHDSS-MILTY_ZEROSTAT_ANTI_STATIC_BLUE.html

Serge S
28-Jul-2017, 19:39
Like Doremus I've washed my film holders with tap water.
I find it does the best job. I use the spray on the kitchen sink to blast the crevices too!
I also use furniture wax to get sticky dark slides gliding. Works well.
I've considered using end dust spray? Has anyone tried that stuff?

Serge

AtlantaTerry
28-Jul-2017, 21:41
Like Doremus I've washed my film holders with tap water.
I find it does the best job. I use the spray on the kitchen sink to blast the crevices too!
I also use furniture wax to get sticky dark slides gliding. Works well.
I've considered using end dust spray? Has anyone tried that stuff?

Serge

I'm not sure but I believe Endust is a very thin oil spray.

seezee
29-Jul-2017, 16:12
I've just used an old toothbrush with adequate results, then followed with a bit of paste wax on the darkslide. YMMV.

seezee
29-Jul-2017, 18:38
One cleaning sheet film holders, one of the problems is dust being held in place by static electricity. There is a tool that is very useful for eliminating static electricity: ZeroStat.

When you squeeze then release the trigger, positive and negative charges are released from the front thereby neutralizing any static electricity. I have used these for many years.

One is also useful for zapping a sheet film holder prior to inserting film. Just be sure no unexposed film is nearby because the ZeroStat puts out a low level glow due to the spark being generated by the piezo crystal.

From time to time you can find a ZeroStat on eBay or they are available new for about US $72. Here is one source: http://www.reyzersystems.com/store/1a-281407-B0033SHDSS-MILTY_ZEROSTAT_ANTI_STATIC_BLUE.html

I replaced my old, broken Zerostat with a new-to-me one for dust control during scanning. Bought my 1st one back in the early 80s to keep my record collection clean.