PDA

View Full Version : Petzval lens identify

seanwang
21-Jul-2017, 21:50
Recently I got a petzval lens which seems 210mm F3, unfortunately because of time and rust, it lost all words on lens barrel only left this mark. So, does anyone know this trademark belong to? Thanks. :)

lucaas
21-Jul-2017, 22:47
It looks like Peerless portrait lens which was Manufactured by Scovill.167472

Steven Tribe
22-Jul-2017, 01:07
This engraving has been seen before - wish I could remember in which context!

I know that there are obvious differences between the printed trademark shown above and the engraved version - but, essentially, it is the same.

I blame Gasc et Charconnet for these confused "overlay" engravings. They started this trend with their less than artistic trademark which included their Christian names Albert and Alphonse.

Louis Pacilla
22-Jul-2017, 06:17

I agree w/ Lucaas. Peerless Portrait.

seanwang
22-Jul-2017, 07:41

I agree w/ Lucaas. Peerless Portrait.

Thank you Lucaas and Louis, the mark of Scovill is M.S. but my lens is something like C.M. ? So that's same or different?

seanwang
22-Jul-2017, 07:44
This engraving has been seen before - wish I could remember in which context!

I know that there are obvious differences between the printed trademark shown above and the engraved version - but, essentially, it is the same.

I blame Gasc et Charconnet for these confused "overlay" engravings. They started this trend with their less than artistic trademark which included their Christian names Albert and Alphonse.

I'm sure I seen this mark before in largeformatphotography forum, but I cann't find it ......:eek::rolleyes:

Steven Tribe
22-Jul-2017, 08:04
C is for Company - you can see Co on the paper trademark. M is perhaps Manufact....

The engraved sequence is SCM or SMC (Scovill Manufacturing Company)?

seven
23-Jul-2017, 00:08
here is my old thread about the same logo http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?126806-Lens-manufacturer-id
looks like the rusty one in this thread and both have only a slight similarity with the Scovill logo.

Steven Tribe
23-Jul-2017, 01:37
Yes, there is absolutely no S there.

So my guess would be an American importer of French lenses. Only person I can think of is H. Codman & Co.
who had the agency in the USA for Gasc & Charconnet for sometime. G et C had a very similar trademark design for the period when Codman had the agency.

Nothing on the lens edge?

Steven Tribe
23-Jul-2017, 01:56
Some photos from the P et P french lens series.

Note that the "circular" text is quite unusual in engraving and was used by G et C (and their successors) for years. The other one is the known Codman engraving, which doesn't exclude there being others.

seanwang
23-Jul-2017, 08:52
C is for Company - you can see Co on the paper trademark. M is perhaps Manufact....

The engraved sequence is SCM or SMC (Scovill Manufacturing Company)?

Thank you Steven. That's good analize I think it's possible for " SMC".

seanwang
23-Jul-2017, 08:56
here is my old thread about the same logo http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?126806-Lens-manufacturer-id
looks like the rusty one in this thread and both have only a slight similarity with the Scovill logo.

oh~ that's exactly same logo! Because rusty, the "C" is gone.
I bought it from UK, it's made in England?

seanwang
23-Jul-2017, 09:02
Yes, there is absolutely no S there.

So my guess would be an American importer of French lenses. Only person I can think of is H. Codman & Co.
who had the agency in the USA for Gasc & Charconnet for sometime. G et C had a very similar trademark design for the period when Codman had the agency.

Nothing on the lens edge?

Nothing left but this trademark. It seems G.M.C ?

studiochrom
23-Jul-2017, 13:30
i had a lens with the same trademark. i was quite sure it was a peerless lens. on the other hand peerless also rebranded french made lens at some point, and GCM sounds awfully like Gasc & Charconnet Manufacurer...? so in the end it might be a G&C lens which was imported to the US market and branded like this. that would be my best guess here..

goamules
25-Jul-2017, 07:22
It's not a Peerless, which had two versions, one French, one American made. Both always say "Peerless" on them, the Peerless mark is well documented in period journals. It's very likely a french maker. And I do believe even foreign trademarks could be registered, as this one is marked. "Registered Trade Mark" is typically a US designation, starting in about 1875.

There is a chance it's related to Scovill, but their trademark always had the "S" that I know of.

I've had a few, let me try to remember who made them.