PDA

View Full Version : Wista VX for architecture

Karl Beath
5-Jul-2005, 17:20
Hi to all Wista VX users who shoot architecture. Before I continue, I have to say thanks to Robert Ley who has been very helpful thus far. I realize, that I have asked a similar question quite recently; however a specific answer is now quite urgent.

I have an option on a 2nd had Wista VX and Horseman 612 back. I have also searched the past threads for people who shoot architecture with this camera, but have had no joy so far. Can the Wista VX with bag bellows, recessed board and lenses as wide as between 75-90mm be used for architectural photography, or perhaps put another way, are you managing relatively comfortable to use this camera in this role? Is the rise and shift adequate for this, or am I asking too much of the camera?

I also backpack and shoot scenic work. As I have only enough cash to buy one camera, which I need to fill both roles, I don’t though want to waste money on a camera that can’t meet my criteria.

Thanks in advance, and to all those who have already given me some assistance.

Yours
Karl

jarrod connerty
5-Jul-2005, 18:55
It has 56mm of front rise, which exceeds the coverage in 4x5 of any lens except the Super-Angulon XL 90mm.

However, the best option if you intend to use that kind of rise is to buy the dedicated combo of the special lensboard & bag bellows-the lensboard which attaches to the rear of the front standard and the bellows which screws onto the back of this lensboard. They aren't a cheap combo, but it'll get the front standard 40mm further away from the rear of the body, permitting much easier rise and making it a bonafide architectural camera.

With the conventional bag bellows and recessed board, I'd imagine you'd have problems with interference with the body. I had the Schneider 110mm XL for awhile, which I used with a flat board because of that #1 shutter, and I got tired of having to reach back into the body to manipulate the front standard so I dumped it for another lens.

Donald Hutton
5-Jul-2005, 19:51
The specs required of a camera for shooting architecture are very dependent on your subject matter. I would suggest that the lack of rear shift is probably the most serious limitation of this camera. The choice of camera position is often the most limiting factor when shooting both interior and exterior architecture - you will frequently require large amounts of shift to avoid non-desirable obstacles in compositions. If you are set on buying a camera for architecture, a monorail or monorail hybrid is likely to be a better bet. I use a Toyo VX125 which has a collapsible monorail. While I have used field cameras, they can be quite restrictive when using wide angle lenses. I would have a good look at an Arca Swiss F-line as well as the Toyo VX125 if you're looking for an 'easily portable' camera. A second hand Sinar F2 is probably as functional as you will find for architectural work and they can be had for very little.