PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid 8x10 - still going strong?

Ozzz
19-Jul-2017, 05:46
Hi all, does anyone know if the recent rumours of 20x24 Studio not supplying pods (crucial components in producing peel-aparts) to third parties (which was the principal reason for the termination of New55 PN's recent kickstarter campaign) would somehow hit Impossible Project production, especially its 8x10 offering? I've enquired folks at IP but no news on that front as yet.

It appear that IP 8x10 films are still supplied in the America at the moment (but I couldn't really see major european retailers stocking them), but would really want to know about the sustainability of the film before diving in - last thing I want to see is film discontinuation after spending $1k on processor and film holders!

Any heads up would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Tracy Storer
19-Jul-2017, 07:06
Impossible has their own pod machine in Enschede, so no IP production will be affected.

EdSawyer
19-Jul-2017, 09:54
I wonder if new 55 could get pods from IP instead of 20 x 24?

Tracy Storer
19-Jul-2017, 10:25
Possible in theory of course, but perhaps not practicable or practical. IP uses very different chemistry.
It would be nice to see New55 continue if they can and the market supports it.

Ozzz
20-Jul-2017, 02:21
Many thanks for the reply!! May I have a further question about the lateral inversion of the final image (due to IP films being an integrated film but not a peel-apart) - the official manual says you can separate the transparency from the "negative" (which is covered with white pigment), flip the transparency and stick it back so that texts won't appear weird. Is this a permanent solution? I just wonder how if the white negative part has some sort of adhesives to stick itself to the flipped transparency, or if one would have to glue it on.

vdonovan
20-Jul-2017, 11:57
Many thanks for the reply!! May I have a further question about the lateral inversion of the final image (due to IP films being an integrated film but not a peel-apart) - the official manual says you can separate the transparency from the "negative" (which is covered with white pigment), flip the transparency and stick it back so that texts won't appear weird. Is this a permanent solution? I just wonder how if the white negative part has some sort of adhesives to stick itself to the flipped transparency, or if one would have to glue it on.

Separating the transparency from the backing is a tricky business and it doesn't always turn out well. The times I've tried it have always left white residue on the transparent image.

Once separated, I would not put the transparency back on the original substrate (which has no adhesive), flipped or not. You'd be better off putting it on white mat board, maybe sandwiched in a frame.

BobCrowley
7-Jan-2018, 08:19
I discovered and did the work that shows how to use their negative in a peelapart. This was published. It cost me a small fortune. Unfortunately, we got nothing out of it. I assume it will show up in 8x10 and 20x24. https://new55project.blogspot.com/2016/10/color-peelapart-experiments-demonstrate.html

Amedeus
7-Jan-2018, 10:59
Polaroid 8x10 is discontinued since 2008.

Impossible 8x10 is a different product and had not even close to the original Polaroid performance in my testing and use of all their different versions.

And no, I won't refer to the Impossible product as "Polaroid", different product, different esthetic.

Peace.

Amedeus
7-Jan-2018, 11:04
I discovered and did the work that shows how to use their negative in a peelapart. This was published. It cost me a small fortune. Unfortunately, we got nothing out of it. I assume it will show up in 8x10 and 20x24. https://new55project.blogspot.com/2016/10/color-peelapart-experiments-demonstrate.html

Agreed Bob, I tried the reversal also and the white stuff that clinging onto the film is just bothersome.

It takes a ton of resources to get it all right. Land/Polaroid had it at the time but I currently don't see much at the horizon in terms of attaining the original quality with scalability up to 20x24 as the volume market doesn't seem to be there. As soon as you talk $$$, there's a lot of hmmmmm and aaaahhhhhh ... ;-)

Cheers,