PDA

View Full Version : Sinar P cleaning and maintenance

Rich14
18-Jul-2017, 20:17
I've recently gotten a Sinar P 4x5.

It's in excellent shape, but after all, it's an old piece of equipment. The fine focusing mechanism of the rear standard is a little stiff (the front standard is very smooth).

I examined the rear rack and pinion mechanism. The white (nylon?) rack was very dirty and the teeth were filled with grime. I can't see the pinion gear. I cleaned the rack with naphtha and q-tips and a tooth brush. I cleaned the upper and lower (nylon?) guide rails.

Everything now is nice and clean. The mechanism moves smoothly, but is harder to move than the front.

Now that it's clean, do these parts get lubricated? Or do they operate dry?

Thanks,

Rich

Kleiny41
14-Apr-2018, 05:54
I've recently gotten a Sinar P 4x5.

It's in excellent shape, but after all, it's an old piece of equipment. The fine focusing mechanism of the rear standard is a little stiff (the front standard is very smooth).

I examined the rear rack and pinion mechanism. The white (nylon?) rack was very dirty and the teeth were filled with grime. I can't see the pinion gear. I cleaned the rack with naphtha and q-tips and a tooth brush. I cleaned the upper and lower (nylon?) guide rails.

Everything now is nice and clean. The mechanism moves smoothly, but is harder to move than the front.

Now that it's clean, do these parts get lubricated? Or do they operate dry?

Thanks,

Rich

Hi Rich, I realize this post is a little old but I was searching for Sinar P2 cleaning advice in case you’d figured anything out since last summer. I picked one up around Christmas and I know it needs some cleaning and care- I just hadn’t figured out what I should do to it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk