PDA

View Full Version : Tripod head for 8x10

sergiofigliolia
17-Jul-2017, 08:29
Hi all, I just got an 8x10 field camera. It weighs about 4kg.
My tripod is a Manfrotto 055 and it's ok.
But the problem is my 410 Junior head isn't.
It shakes quite a bit.
I was thinking of either getting a second hand Gitzo 3 way head. I found a very old one for 100 euros
or a manfrotto levelling base (338) but then I'd still need a panorama head to rotate once levelled. Any suggestion on panorama head?
I am not keen on ballheads although they look steady and light.
I know FLM does ones in which you can only unlock tilt so it must be like having a 3 way head...

mathieu Bauwens
17-Jul-2017, 11:14
Hello,

I have a FLM ballhead 48 FTR and my Kodak 2D 8x10 is secure on it.

sergiofigliolia
17-Jul-2017, 11:31
Thanks!
I just realised though that even the FLM FTR ballheads are not really 3 way ballheads...you can lock tilt but not in 2 directions

Ari
18-Jul-2017, 06:37
The FLM ball heads with tilt lock are regular ball heads that also have the ability to lock up the L-R axis.
This permits movement of the ball on one axis only, the front-to-back axis.
With the tilt lock applied, it behaves like a 2-way head, but it's not a real 2-way head, it's an added feature that has practical applications.
A YouTube search will turn up a couple of videos showing the feature and how to use it properly.

sergiofigliolia
18-Jul-2017, 07:21
The FLM ball heads with tilt lock are regular ball heads that also have the ability to lock up the L-R axis.
This permits movement of the ball on one axis only, the front-to-back axis.
With the tilt lock applied, it behaves like a 2-way head, but it's not a real 2-way head, it's an added feature that has practical applications.
A YouTube search will turn up a couple of videos showing the feature and how to use it properly.

Exactly so I am leaning towards a levelling base + a basic panoramic head.
Any experience with this setup? (possibly from 8x10 users)

Keith Pitman
18-Jul-2017, 11:42
If you like the 410, there was a larger version, the 405. I don't think they are available new any more, but you should be able find on the used market.

sergiofigliolia
18-Jul-2017, 12:04
If you like the 410, there was a larger version, the 405. I don't think they are available new any more, but you should be able find on the used market.Thanks Keith, I have considered it but it is too expensive (at least Euro 400) and it just(!) supports up to 7.5kgs. My setup is slightly lighter. This tells me it is not stable enough if I compare to other solutions like the ones I suggested above (15kgs).

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Michael Kadillak
18-Jul-2017, 20:20
I shoot a lot of 8x10 with cameras that folks here would consider a bit on the heavy side and have tried any number of tripod heads. I have used ball heads and dial heads and Ries and Majestic platform heads and with 8x10 I find the three way individual control arm heads such as the Manfrotto 3039 to be the easiest and most efficient for me. I like the levels on both sides of the base, the quick release plate that is solid and locks down quickly and firmly as well as controlling and locking down rotation, fore and aft movements individually. Keep an eye on the used market. I found an identical Manfrotto 410 tripod with the 3039 head in like new condition local on a reselling listing and keep it as a backup.

Peter De Smidt
18-Jul-2017, 20:22
I prefer a Gitzo Series 5 low-profile pan/tilt head for 8x10 field cameras. This video shows a series 3 head, but the same thing work with a series 5, and it's even more effective if you can use two tripod screws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-jXeJtw_24

Michael Kadillak
18-Jul-2017, 20:39
I prefer a Gitzo Series 5 low-profile pan/tilt head for 8x10 field cameras. This video shows a series 3 head, but the same thing work with a series 5, and it's even more effective if you can use two tripod screws:

Personal preference. Familiar with the Gitzo head and it does a good job. I have big hands and like the longer thicker handles. I get annoyed trying to mate the bottom of the camera thread with a moving head screw in the field. I do not have a choice with the Deardorff V11. Quick release takes that variable out of play and puts the process in expedite mode. Whatever gets the light to the film as efficiently as the photographer desires is what gets put to use.

sergiofigliolia
19-Jul-2017, 23:47

Thanks Peter, I want to try the Gitzo Series 5 low-profile as it looks solid and not that different in terms of workflow to the Manfrotto 410 I used up until now

neil poulsen
20-Jul-2017, 04:56
. . . I find the three way individual control arm heads such as the Manfrotto 3039 to be the easiest and most efficient for me.

Currently designated as the 229, I've used this head for years. It has the advantage of being a quick-release system that use Manfrotto's hexagonal plates. With a maximum capacity of 26 lbs, this head would have no problem supporting your light-weight 9 lbs camera.

https://www.manfrotto.us/3d-super-pro-3-way-tripod-head-with-safety-catch

No longer made, a 3297 4"x4" plate that's compatible with the 3039 would be the ideal plate for your field 8x10.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5582-REG/Manfrotto_3297_RC0_Quick_Release_Plate.html

They're hard to find, but well worth the effort. In the meantime, the regular hexagonal plate would work acceptably well.

Another possibility is the 030UNIV universal plate that's also been discontinued.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/325231-REG/Manfrotto_030UNIV_030UNIV_Universal_Hexagonal_Quick.html

They're easier to find than the 3297.

I tried all three on my now sold Deardorff V8. While the standard hexagonal plate works OK, I preferred the increased surface area of the other two plates.

I've had a couple of the low-profile, Series 5 heads, and they're a pain to use. They provide good support. But, it's awkward having to screw the camera onto the head each time.

sergiofigliolia
20-Jul-2017, 10:38
Thanks Neil!
Your experience is very precious!

Emmanuel BIGLER
20-Jul-2017, 11:37
Hello from France, Sergio!

Since now Manfrotto and Gitzo belong to the same European group I'll not comment on the relative merits of one against the other on a US-based forum ;) "You need both", Manfrotto, AND Gitzo" ;)

I second Peter de Smidt's advice, and I'll add that in France, used alumin(i)um series 4 or series 5 Gitzo tripods can be found ocasionnally, are rock-solid, and spare parts are available if necessary.
The low-profile series 5 3-way head Ref. 1570 is still available as new, I prefer the low-profile ones (https://static.bhphoto.com/images/images500x500/Gitzo_G1570M_G1570_3_Way_Head_1415140551000_170918.jpg) to the classical "têtes Gitzo rationnelles" which are higher. I have the smaller 1370 (now discontinued), suitable for a 4x5" but probably not for a 8x10" camera.

What I like very much with the GItzo 3-way head is the ultra-large, so comfortable platform covered with cork, able to take almost anything with a 1/4" or 3/8" screw.
Gitzo has on catalogue very convenient brass screw with large "ears", I have both the 1/4" and the 3/8". (http://www.photocomedie.com/5652-6704-thickbox/gitzo-vis-3-8-avec-ecrou.jpg) Those screws are an absolute must-have!
Good luck!

sergiofigliolia
21-Jul-2017, 00:08
Hello from France, Sergio!

and I am actually your neighbour. I know Manfrotto bought Gitzo. I am keen to try the Gitzo low profile series 5 head although the idea to screw everytime the camera to the tripod head is not encouraging as I am used to quick release. But somehow I can take also this as part of the lower speed process of 8x10 as compared to 4x5 shooting :-)

Emmanuel BIGLER
21-Jul-2017, 00:51
as I am used to quick release.

So do I my, with my Gitzo 1370 [same for 1570], my quick-release clamp is attached to the Gitzo platform by the Gitzo screw mentioned above : the Gitzo platform can take anything ... including a quick-release clamp ;)

Peter De Smidt
21-Jul-2017, 08:21
Or you can easily modify the head, as per the video posted earlier.

sergiofigliolia
22-Jul-2017, 00:34
Or you can easily modify the head, as per the video posted earlier.

Sorry being at work I had not seen that. But now I have!

Pawlowski6132
27-Jul-2017, 11:46
Can I assume that the Manfrotto 400 is over kill for you? I just got one this week for my 8x10 and it is awesome. I also have the 405 which I use for lighter equipment.

Peter De Smidt
27-Jul-2017, 12:33
The 400 is very nice. A bit on the heavy side, though.

sergiofigliolia
27-Jul-2017, 22:19
Can I assume that the Manfrotto 400 is over kill for you?

It must be amazing but looks too heavy

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk