PDA

View Full Version : Ugly Lincoln

Rael
14-Jul-2017, 07:42
I thought this (http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/abraham-lincoln-photos-edited) was a pretty entertaining article, so figured I'd share.

Ulophot
14-Jul-2017, 12:23
Thank you for sharing this. A notable discovery.

Andrew O'Neill
14-Jul-2017, 13:35
Article? Where?

Robert Brazile
14-Jul-2017, 16:45
The word "this" in the original post is a link, Andrew. Not easy to see with the link color and the default color scheme.

Robert

Andrew O'Neill
14-Jul-2017, 18:26
Yes, very hard to see. Thanks.

BrianShaw
15-Jul-2017, 09:24
Fascinating... I had no idea that they had Photoshop back then!

Rael
15-Jul-2017, 17:05
Fascinating... I had no idea that they had Photoshop back then!

It was an early version. But seriously, how did they do it? Masking? Cutting negs apart?

Jim Jones
15-Jul-2017, 18:11
Some prints were made by piecing bits of print together and shooting a master negative of that. Skillful assembly of the original composite and retouching the master negative finished the tedious process.

Mark Sawyer
15-Jul-2017, 18:39
It was an early version. But seriously, how did they do it? Masking? Cutting negs apart?

Most likely, piecing together negatives and a lot of pencil retouching. It was a fairly well-known practice at the time. Read up on Oscar Rejlander, he used thirty-some negatives pieced together for his 1857 work, The two Ways of Life".

Rael
15-Jul-2017, 20:52
Some prints were made by piecing bits of print together and shooting a master negative of that. Skillful assembly of the original composite and retouching the master negative finished the tedious process.

I actually did that myself when I was about 15. For some reason I assumed it would be more involved with what I assumed was probably glass negatives. I put mine and my friend's face over kirk and spock in a star trek bridge portrait. It came out pretty good. I was a geek..

Alan Gales
15-Jul-2017, 22:19
Hmmmmm. That really makes you wonder. Do you think those some of those photos of Kim Kardashian may have been enhanced?

Jim Jones
16-Jul-2017, 05:56
Hmmmmm. That really makes you wonder. Do you think those some of those photos of Kim Kardashian may have been enhanced?

. . . or Kim herself may be enhanced.