PDA

View Full Version : Combi Plan vs SP-445

v.kapoor
5-Jul-2017, 14:22
Any thoughts between the two? Looking to buy one of these models.

I appreciate that the combi plan can take 6 sheets since I'm generally using a Grafmatic.
Do user of the Combi find it cumbersome compared to the new SP-445?

Thanks!

jp
5-Jul-2017, 14:46
I have only used the Combi. It has shortcomings, but still provides excellent results to me.
The SP-445 seems built specifically to address the shortcomings of the Combi (slow drain time being the most annoying)
If four sheets isn't enough, if you like it, buy a second. I do LF in batches and usually have 5-6 sheets for the combi plan, and sometimes do 2 combi tanks separated by a minute if I have a bunch of film.

The Combi is not likely available new. That might simplify the decision a little.

esearing
6-Jul-2017, 15:36
drop combi plan on cement floor, it breaks - SP445 doesn't. Plus you can order parts for the SP445 (currently).

AtlantaTerry
6-Jul-2017, 19:42
Combi-Plan systems have not been made for several years now. But, some parts are available. I was lucky enough to find a used Combi in good shape. I like it for small runs.

For larger runs, I use Kodak #4A sheet film holders in 116 ounce plastic tubs from Dollar Tree stores. Of course, this requires total darkness until the film is in the fixer bath.

v.kapoor
7-Jul-2017, 14:33
Thanks everyone. I found a Combi-Plan in great shape. Excited to get started!
If anyone has any advice for developing Acros in these that would be swell.

V

devb
10-Jul-2017, 08:29
I only use the Combiplan for developing x-ray film because it tends to leak from where the lid meets the tank. I haven't found a solution for this yet.

Bob Salomon
10-Jul-2017, 09:18
I only use the Combiplan for developing x-ray film because it tends to leak from where the lid meets the tank. I haven't found a solution for this yet.

Ask Omega Brandeis's to replace your defective lid.

devb
10-Jul-2017, 10:37
Ask Omega Brandeis's to replace your defective lid.

I got the tank for free from some guy in NYC and don't know where the tank came from. It's one shot developer and I wear gloves, so it's no big deal. Thank you though.

v.kapoor
10-Jul-2017, 19:05
Bob, can I developer color in the Combi Plan? That is, is the plastic safe for heating the water at 100 degrees f?

Bob Salomon
11-Jul-2017, 04:39
Bob, can I developer color in the Combi Plan? That is, is the plastic safe for heating the water at 100 degrees f?

Perfectly safe