PDA

View Full Version : Technika/Toyo/Wista Lensboard holes???

Paul_5410
2-Jul-2005, 16:37
Hello Everyone,

I have been searching the usual spots like B&H, Adorama, Midwest Camera Exchange etc for a "0.0" 27mm lensboard. I find (blank, 0, 1, 3) and I have been told that a 2 is a rare request item and that is a DIY project. However, I am about to conclude that 0.0 is a DIY type item with a pilot hole blank board? Is this right?

Thank You,
Paul

Bob Salomon
2-Jul-2005, 16:41
Any size other then blank or pilot hole (001013 fro Linhof), 0, 1 and 3 arE not currEntly manufactured by Linhof and Wista. 00 and 2 are DIY projects

Paul_5410
2-Jul-2005, 16:48
Thank You Bob,

That was a very quick answer! Oh well, I happen to have an old Linhof blank I use when I have a camera out without a lens to keep clean, so it is now a volunteer for the drill press downstairs.

Thanks,
Paul

Bob Salomon
2-Jul-2005, 17:55
"so it is now a volunteer for the drill press downstairs."

These boards should not be drilled. They are designed to be milled or to be cut with a chasis punch to prevent heat buildup and possible warping from drilling.

Paul_5410
2-Jul-2005, 18:45
GEEZ Bob,

I'm really glad you told me that, I always use the slowest speed and an oil bath for the circle cutter I use. It is high strength carbon hole cutter bit. I do not think it produces as much heat as drilling, it cuts more like a lathe bit a very thin groove. It has worked well on aluminum plate in the past.

Bob one more question please, do you happen to know if a geniune Linhof labeled board is aluminum or perhaps some alloy mixture?

I ruin a cutter trying to cut a Cambo lens board and then realised it was an alloy most likely a bit of magnesium mixed in for hardness though I am guessing there.

Thank You,
Paul

David A. Goldfarb
2-Jul-2005, 20:51
Last I had it done, S. K. Grimes charged $15 to mill a lensboard hole.

Paul_5410
3-Jul-2005, 07:28
Hello David,
Thank You for the note on SK Grimes, that is a very reasonable fee for the task,
Paul