PDA

View Full Version : Drkroom rental in portland oregon

robert lyons
3-Jul-2017, 13:02
Hi All,

Looking to find an arrangement to work in someones darkroom here in PDX. I thought to post as it might be best to find a fellow analog/large format person who would be willing for someone who is extremely careful to rent time in their darkroom space. I primarily need to work with medium format sizes and likely would not print larger than 16x20 for the time being......please let me know via pm if you have a space. Thank you all...

Robert

Paul Cunningham
3-Jul-2017, 14:07
Two options here are the Newspace darkroom. And also joining the PCC darkroom class, where are you can get extensive free time.

paulbarden
3-Jul-2017, 15:33
Robert, I also recommend Newspace.

chassis
3-Jul-2017, 18:34
I visited Newspace a few years ago when I was in Portland for business. Looked like a great place. There were a handful of people there working.

stawastawa
3-Jul-2017, 22:27
I no longer have a darkroom, but I have the equipment and am interested in setting up a darkroom if that is something you would be interested in doing together.

I too recommend newspace. the autoprocessor is helpful for doing some quick work prints. Their secondary darkroom is also great if you want a more solitary experience or need special equipment.

~nicholas

robert lyons
7-Jul-2017, 08:24
NewSpace is no longer.....so I am searching still for someone who has a darkroom to share on a part time basis......
thank you

paulbarden
7-Jul-2017, 09:02
"NewSpace is no longer"??? What are you saying?

robert lyons
8-Jul-2017, 09:10
go to their website....

Louis Pacilla
8-Jul-2017, 09:30
NewSpace is no longer.....so I am searching still for someone who has a darkroom to share on a part time basis......
thank you

"NewSpace is no longer"??? What are you saying?

go to their website....

Try this link.

http://newspacephoto.org/classes/

stawastawa
8-Jul-2017, 10:25
They are just wrapping up some facility maintenance, but they are definitely still open.
http://newspacephoto.org/events/
or call 503.963.1935

Summer Hours of Operation
Monday-Thursday
10am-10:30pm
Saturday-Sunday
10am-6pm

paulbarden
8-Jul-2017, 11:40
Robert, they were closed for a week for maintenance, that's all.

neil poulsen
8-Jul-2017, 14:55
Good heavens -- I felt the ground shake beneath me for a moment there.

robert lyons
8-Jul-2017, 15:20
actually go to their main page if you can get on it...it seems that one is unable to access it...and in the previous days it stated they were closed until further notice???

Paul Cunningham
8-Jul-2017, 18:33
Yes, the official news is that they are officially closed in a permanent way.

Peter Gomena
8-Jul-2017, 22:55
Yes, we're closed for good.

paulbarden
9-Jul-2017, 09:20
Yes, we're closed for good.

How? Why? What happened? I was just there for a class a few days ago!

Peter Gomena
9-Jul-2017, 10:50
Facilities rentals, class enrollment, and memberships have declined steadily for the past 4-5 years. Summer has been our worst season for a long time, and we ran out of money. Simple as that.

I think you must add in that our rental facilities and equipment were getting pretty shabby. In the three years I worked there, we never had a dime for equipment replacement, maintenance, or even freaking light bulbs sometimes. It produced a reputation of unreliability in some cases.

Regardless of all that, Newspace was the center of a large photographic community that now will go unserved. It's a shame, but in it's last few years Newspace has been unsustainable. It's over and done and time to move on. The community we created may well try to resurrect a photography cooperative of some kind that will serve in Newspace's place. I hope they succeed.

Peter Gomena
(former) Facilities Manager
Newspace Center for Photography.

Louis Pacilla
9-Jul-2017, 11:41
Facilities rentals, class enrollment, and memberships have declined steadily for the past 4-5 years. Summer has been our worst season for a long time, and we ran out of money. Simple as that.

I think you must add in that our rental facilities and equipment were getting pretty shabby. In the three years I worked there, we never had a dime for equipment replacement, maintenance, or even freaking light bulbs sometimes. It produced a reputation of unreliability in some cases.

Regardless of all that, Newspace was the center of a large photographic community that now will go unserved. It's a shame, but in it's last few years Newspace has been unsustainable. It's over and done and time to move on. The community we created may well try to resurrect a photography cooperative of some kind that will serve in Newspace's place. I hope they succeed.

Peter Gomena

That's just downright sad :(

paulbarden
9-Jul-2017, 14:21

Peter Gomena

I took Ray Bidegain's Tintype Workshop recently and it was the first of what was going to be many workshops offered through NewSpace. I am very sad to see this unique resource disappear from the Portland artscape.

Paul Cunningham
9-Jul-2017, 18:18
Ray will still be around of course. If you haven't already, you can contact him and get on his mailing list at www.raybidegain.com.

I took Ray Bidegain's Tintype Workshop recently and it was the first of what was going to be many workshops offered through NewSpace. I am very sad to see this unique resource disappear from the Portland artscape.

Peter Gomena
10-Jul-2017, 08:35
Yes, Ray and Katharine Jacobs Anderson have been running tintype workshops out of Jailhouse Studios, and are both well-connected in the photography community. Stay in touch with them!

Kinografx
10-Jul-2017, 14:41
Blue Moon had a nice post on their FB page today about NewSpace, it’s sad to lose any part of Portland’s vibrant photo community.

stawastawa
21-Jul-2017, 10:42
curious, the website is back online.

stawastawa
21-Jul-2017, 10:45
Newspace
Clearance
Sale!!!

Saturday July 22nd 9 AM to 1 PM
Cash & Credit Card Only

Dear Newspace (http://newspacephoto.org/about/contact-us/) Community,
Many of you asked if, and when, we would be able to sell Newspace equipment. Today we were asked to vacate our space sooner than anticipated and notified that we can sell assets to begin paying down debt.

This Saturday morning (July 22), we will be selling Newspace assets. we will be open to the public from 9am-1pm.

SaturdayIf you are interested in purchasing Newspace equipment, please come ready to pay with cash or credit card - NO CHECKS - and be prepared to take what you purchase with you the same day. We cannot store purchased equipment.

We realize this is short notice, but we need to rapidly reduce the amount of stuff at 1632 SE 10th Street and begin repaying our debts as soon as possible.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT OF NEWSPACE.

Please help the photographic equipment at Newspace find a new home!