PDA

View Full Version : Largesense or Nonsense?

xkaes
26-Jun-2017, 18:25
I couldn't find any discussion about this -- soon (?) to be released camera:

http://largesense.com/?ccm_paging_p_b754=3

Oren Grad
26-Jun-2017, 19:25
It's been a while since he last visited, but if you search on member name "Bill Christian" you'll find some pictures that Bill Charbonnet has posted here from prototype cameras.

Roger Thoms
26-Jun-2017, 19:44
Bill Christian has been posting images from a prototype LS911 here for a while. Here's a link to his posts. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/search.php?searchid=6913871

Roger

John Kasaian
26-Jun-2017, 22:18
Does it need batteries?

locutus
26-Jun-2017, 23:30
6.7 Megapixels for the 5x5 and 12 for the 8x11 model, its hard to imagine that this would be appealing to many people....

jnantz
27-Jun-2017, 04:40
you don't need many mp's to post on the web !
i might get one seeing that
i have a set up with my Dslr and the
giant magnifier that used to go infront of my sony trinatron to make
its 3"diagonal screen look like a 32" gives too much distortion...
still less distortion than the coke bottle.

Alan Gales
27-Jun-2017, 05:17
you don't need many mp's to post on the web !

And all you need is a cell phone for that! :)

jnantz
27-Jun-2017, 06:11
And all you need is a cell phone for that! :)

ssssshhhh ! :)

xkaes
27-Jun-2017, 06:35
6.7 Megapixels for the 5x5 and 12 for the 8x11 model, its hard to imagine that this would be appealing to many people....

The 8x11 model you refer to is the Minox model, right?

Heck, I picked up a LIKE NEW Konica Minolta Dimage A2, with all the fixin's, at Goodwill yesterday for $7. It has 8Mp and works GREAT. So, because Goodwill cleaned me out, I'll have to pass on the Largesense.

Jonathan Barlow
27-Jun-2017, 09:18
$104,000? The price should keep it from going anywhere.

cp_photo
1-Jul-2017, 12:17
With the ongoing developments (e.g. cheaper, better image sensors) in digital imaging technologies how can such a product possibly be priced so high? It makes no sense. I imagine that within a decade we all will have cheaply priced digital backs available to us.

locutus
1-Jul-2017, 12:41
semiconductors mostly become cheaper due to becoming smaller (there's some other things that made 35mm sensors drop in price such as single shot 36x24 steppers but that's trailing off...).

A large format imager is by definition of fixed size, a size which is in semiconductor terms huuuuuge, this will be expensive forever. Its just how it is, unless you solve a lot of sciency magic.

For this back, i kind of wonder if this is similiar or derived of DALSA's butted arrays, those are tiled arrays of sensors that are bonded together on one package. These are used as Xray detectors and some other medical applications and do exist in the sizes talked about. DALSA at one point even made one in the shape of a X-ray film cassette.