PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 camera recomendations

bholland
23-Jun-2017, 10:34
Hello All,

I am getting back into photography after a long absence. I currently shoot on a memiaflex c220 2.25x2.25. I love it but I am looking to go bigger and an 8x10 seemed to be awesome. Stellar in fact.

I know very little about this. The brands that continually come up are Ebony and a few Japanese brands.

I would like to know a few things. What other brands are considdered good, just in general. Cost is an issue but given that I typically keep equipment, it is more of an investment for me than anything else. I would like to keep this under about 5000 dollars though.

I am looking for 3 things primarily. The first is mobility. I want a camera that doesn't weigh much, even with the tripod. I believe I am looking for a "field camera" (I assume this means a shorter bellows). I also want a camera that can take a few lenses, really at least 3. I would like a wide angle, neutral, and a telephoto. I don't know if that is reasonable or if almost all large format photography uses a single fixed lense. The one thing I will demand is that the lenses are in mint condition and I assume that will greatly affect availability. For my TLR, there are a suprisingly good number of excellent used lenses. Large format cameras are a bit more specialized.

I typically photograph buildings, portrates, and still things like plants.

What should I be on the lookout for? Do I have to buy new to get the requirements?

Thank you so much,
~Ben

mathieu Bauwens
23-Jun-2017, 10:54
http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/810.html

https://www.gibellinicamera.com/n-series

https://www.theitaliancamera.com/shop

http://www.stenopeika.com/prodotto/stenopeika-810se2-folding-camera/

Rich14
23-Jun-2017, 11:11
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINAR-P-8X10-View-Camera-Excellent-Condition-/122555308103?hash=item1c88dd9847:g:CFEAAOSwCkZZR9P6

DrTang
23-Jun-2017, 11:13
for 5K you can get a KMV, 6 holders, 3 lenses and a tripod I bet

Vaughn
23-Jun-2017, 11:20
Hello! There are some great reference material on this site that you may wish to read. Read about camera movements -- what they are and how they are used. It will help to decide what movement you want on a camera.

The used market is good enough for 8x10 not to have to buy new. This also includes lenses. You can put together an great set-up for $5000. I suggest starting with one lens, learn it, then you will be more experienced and knowlegable about which lens to get next...perhaps start with a 'normal' focal length...somewhere between 250mm to 360mm.

A Fuji W 250mm/6.7 would be a fine first lens...slightly wide. I started with a Fuji W 300mm/5.6.

A field camera is just that -- designed to go into the field...lighter, compact and folding. Unless you plan on using a 600mm lens, keeping the bellows shorter does save weight. I have used a 600mm and a 480mm on mine with no problem at landscape distances, but my camera weighs 14 pounds...but it has most the movements and is a sturdy beast most of the time.

Chamonix is coming out with a new light-weight 8x10. The trade-off in less movements and a horizontal only film back (you'll have to turn the camera 90 degrees for verticals). But do not get too wrapped up in worrying about a few pounds -- adding tripod, lenses, light meter and film holders to the load will make a couple pounds insignificant (until you get into your 60s!). My 8x10 set-up is about 60 pounds.

LF lenses usually come mounted in their own shutters (but some have no shutter -- barrel lenses)...as long as they fit on the lensboard designed for your camera, any lens will work.

Rich14
23-Jun-2017, 11:22
Mathieu,

I have never heard of (or seen) this camera.

https://www.gibellinicamera.com/n-series

My, God! That is too beautiful to be believed! That is almost obscene!

I must have one of those! (yeah, in my dreams!)

Wow!

Rich

John Kasaian
23-Jun-2017, 11:33
Hello All,

I am getting back into photography after a long absence. I currently shoot on a memiaflex c220 2.25x2.25. I love it but I am looking to go bigger and an 8x10 seemed to be awesome. Stellar in fact.

I know very little about this. The brands that continually come up are Ebony and a few Japanese brands.

I would like to know a few things. What other brands are considdered good, just in general. Cost is an issue but given that I typically keep equipment, it is more of an investment for me than anything else. I would like to keep this under about 5000 dollars though.

I am looking for 3 things primarily. The first is mobility. I want a camera that doesn't weigh much, even with the tripod. I believe I am looking for a "field camera" (I assume this means a shorter bellows). I also want a camera that can take a few lenses, really at least 3. I would like a wide angle, neutral, and a telephoto. I don't know if that is reasonable or if almost all large format photography uses a single fixed lense. The one thing I will demand is that the lenses are in mint condition and I assume that will greatly affect availability. For my TLR, there are a suprisingly good number of excellent used lenses. Large format cameras are a bit more specialized.

I typically photograph buildings, portrates, and still things like plants.

What should I be on the lookout for? Do I have to buy new to get the requirements?

Thank you so much,
~Ben

You can certainly start out with an 8x10, but mistakes in the learning curve are considerably cheaper with a 4x5 or even 5x7---not to dissuaded you but it is something to consider.

There are lightwieght 8x10 cameras---Nagaokas are rare in 8x10 but do exist. I don't know what their max bellows length is. The Tachihara double extension might interest you as well.
Weight concerns more than the camera---a substantial tripod & 8x10 film holders bring a lot of weight to the party!

For your intended subjects I'll make an off the cuff guess that a 10"-14" lens will suffice in most cases, but of course only you can make that determination. I've found a 10" WF Ektar particularly useful for architecture for it's coverage. I think Fuji offers something similar in coverage for less than what WF Ektars are going for these days, plus you'll have a modern shutter (which shouldn't be a deal breaker, but many people find working with modern Copals more reassuring.)

Enjoy the adventure!

John Kasaian
23-Jun-2017, 11:39
IMHO a telephoto lens on a LF camera is an exercise in frustration to use. For a long lens I use a 19" Artar which wants around 28" of bellows.

Alan9940
23-Jun-2017, 11:52
Not much time left to get in on this Kickstarter, but you may want to consider it:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1436129614/intrepid-8x10-camera-an-affordable-large-format-ca

This would provide you with a brand new lightweight 8x10 without much investment. If you find, after some time, that the 8x10 format suits your style of photography, then you could always move up to something more sophiscated (read expensive.)

paulbarden
23-Jun-2017, 11:54
Intrepid Camera makes a good, very lightweight 8X10 camera. I own a Deardorff 8X10 and it weighs SO MUCH to cart around. A lighter option would be great.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1436129614/intrepid-8x10-camera-an-affordable-large-format-ca

PS: I acquired my Deardorff 8X10 not long ago for $3300, which included an outstanding Kodak Ektar 12" f6.3 lens (sharp beyond words) and 8 film holders, plus a focusing loupe, a polarizer, dark cloth, and a few other extras. Not only did I acquire a wonderful kit that was ready to go, but its one of the nicest "vintage" cameras around and I got it all for less than what you've budgeted for. However, "light weight" is not how I'd describe it, but I've found it manageable.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2162/33023307275_647a19abd0_b.jpg

Alan Gales
23-Jun-2017, 13:31
Besides the other great suggestions look at the Ritter 8x10, especially if light weight is important.

http://www.lg4mat.net/LFcamera.html

I own the Fujinon W 250mm f/6.7 lens that Vaughn recommends. I paid only $300 for mine but lately I've heard that they have sold for $200 and even less. What a bargain!

Personally, I own a Wehman 8x10 and a three lens kit consisting of the Fuji, a 14" Kodak Commercial Ektar and a 19" Red Dot Artar. You don't have to spend a fortune to get great lenses. My Wehman 8x10 is no longer available new and is very hard to find on the used market or I would highly recommend it to you.

Alan9940
23-Jun-2017, 14:22
I have owned and used a Deardorff 8x10 since the early 1980's, but at 64 years young it's getting to be a bit much to backpack around the countryside! ;) I'm looking forward to the lightweight of the Intrepid 8x10 (for backpacking) and will relegate my Deardorff to working from the car. Remains to be seen if it all works out.

@Alan Gales - I just picked up a Fujinon W 250mm f/6.7 (inside lettering) recently from a board member here and, though I've only shot a few negs with it, I'm mightily impressed! I love my Fujinon A 240mm as a lightweight wideangle on 8x10, but I'm looking forward to the increased movements the 250/6.7 will provide.

Vaughn
23-Jun-2017, 15:56
Ben, I should have read your post better! "I typically photograph buildings, portrates, and still things like plants."

Those three have different requirements when it comes to the optimal lens for each type of photography.

For example, for still life, a process lens in a barrel (no shutter) would be an inexpensive way to get high quality glass designed for what you are doing (sharpness optimized for close-up work). Exposures are usually long enough to use the lens cap as your shutter.

Portraits: many people are using old portrait lenses and shy away from modern glass. These are rarely 'mint condition' and rarely need to be. It will depend on what qualities you wish the image to have. If you want a sharp modern image, than any modern lens should do. Head shots with a long lens -- that is when you'll need the bellow length!

Buildings: Typically, one wants lots of coverage to take advantage of rise/fall. But you might also need shorter lenses if you can't back up far enough from your subject. Those are two opposing characteristics in the world of lens design that can usually only cured by a lot of money (check out the Super-Symmar XL lenses!)

One thing to consider is how much glass (weight) you will be hanging off the front standard. I have a Fuji W 360/6.3. Hefty pieces of glass in a Copal 3 shutter! I really bought it for the 11x14 I have coming, but the front standard of my Zone VI 8x10 has no trouble supporting it.

Good luck!

Alan9940
23-Jun-2017, 16:04
One thing to consider is how much glass (weight) you will be hanging off the front standard. I have a Fuji W 360/6.3. Hefty pieces of glass in a Copal 3 shutter!

Vaughn,

I have a Fuji CM-W 360/6.5 which like yours is a chunk of glass! But, the Fuji 360 pales in comparison to the small dinner plate front element size of my Schneider Symmar-S 360/6.8!! I don't backpack that Symmar anymore. :D

David Lobato
23-Jun-2017, 16:32
I have an old wooden Conley 8x10 with a 12 inch Kodak Commercial Ektar lens. It's much lighter than my Deardorff, even with the lens, and is (relatively) easy to transport and carry. It's great for portraits and close up subjects not needing lens tilt or back tilt. It has a bit of front rise and with a shorter lens around 240mm it would work for architecture. There are lighter weight cameras like this that might meet your needs.

ruuuz
24-Jun-2017, 00:15
8x10" face :-)

with stenopeika 810se2

B.S.Kumar
24-Jun-2017, 22:52
And if you're looking at new 8x10 cameras, I can get you a Toyo 810MII for 375,000 JPY plus shipping.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?138969-Toyo-Cameras-Accessories-and-Spares-from-Japan

Kumar