PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding lens board for 47mm XL and 58mm XL on a Technika 2000

xiaubauu
19-Jun-2017, 18:45
About to purchase a Technika 2000 and 47mm XL or 58mm XL...

I am wondering what kind of lens board is required to fit the lens in order to use the wide angle focusing mechanism built into the body? Do I need a recessed board or it can function with even just a normal board?
Another question will be how much of a rise it can get? I know it's not a lot, but will using a recessed board generate an easier movement?

Thank you.

Bob Salomon
20-Jun-2017, 05:10
Go to the Linhof web site, download the brochure and look at it. It lists the required boards. Or, go to the web site and down load the price list, it lists all the required boards there. Or down load the instruction book and read it, it lists them there.

xkaes
20-Jun-2017, 07:02
I've been down your path, but I can't speak to your specific camera. My cameras' (TOKO 4x5) bellows collapse to 65mm. The flange focal length for the 47mm XL is 59mm (FFL on 58mm XL is 70mm). So, with 47mm XL, I can't focus on infinity without a recessed board -- my cameras do not accept a bag bellows. If your camera collapses shorter than mine, you might be able to use a standard board, but even if you could, any movement would be pretty difficult or impossible.

I use a generic, 10mm (1/2") recessed board and it works fine. But there are a couple of things to remember:

A: Even with a recessed lens board you still will have very limited movements for two reasons -- #1: Your camera may not physically allow much movement at that setting. #2: The lens coverage is so small that even if you have some movement, the corners of the image are quickly lost. I can move my lens a tiny bit at infinity, but that's OK with me because it keeps me from losing the edges.

B: Different cameras can have different center points -- re: ground glass and lensboard/shutter diaphragm. That means that your camera might need a shutter hole in the middle of the lensboard recess -- or slightly lower. On my cameras, it is about 10mm off-center (lower). If I put the 47mm XL on a recessed board with a centered hole, I would not be able to collapse the bellows enough to use the lens, let alone dropping the front standard to center the lens. The exact amount of off-centering you need is probably not listed in your camera specs -- mine wasn't-- and if you need an off-centered board, the seller may not offer the specific detailed information without you asking for it. I use Wista/Linhof boards, but I found a less expensive, generic board (the genuine Wista/Linhof's were insane) with the correct off-set and size for the #0 shutter of the 47mm XL. The off-set that you will need on the BOARD (if any) depends on the CAMERA you are using -- NOT the lens. You need to get the center (AKA Axis) of the lens centered on the groundglass.

P.S. The off-set can be confusing. On Wista/Linhof boards, there is the "center of the board" itself, and the center of the "light ring" which you see on the back of the board (or recess, if it's a recessed board). Where YOU need the center to be depends on the camera. The lens controls are on the top of the lens, so there needs to be enough room for them! Getting your fingers to reach the controls is hard enough with a 1/2" recess, so I'd advise against going much deeper.

xiaubauu
21-Jun-2017, 23:29
Go to the Linhof web site, download the brochure and look at it. It lists the required boards. Or, go to the web site and down load the price list, it lists all the required boards there. Or down load the instruction book and read it, it lists them there.

Thanks Bob, I have downloaded the brochuse/pricelist for the part. It doesn't have anything for the 47mm XL, but it does have lens board 001159 for the 58mm XL. Does that mean that they share the same lens board?

Will 001015 (12mm Comfort series) lens board work as well?

My aim is to use the 3000's inner ultra wide focus rail to focus.

xiaubauu
22-Jun-2017, 02:45
Ok, did a measurement.

With the front element extended to the extreme of the wide angle focus rail (with the infinity focus stop tab set to the edge), and releasing just the infinity focus of the wide angle focus rail, i measure about 52.18mm to the focus screen... so for 47mm XL is more than enough as the flange is 59.1mm, am I correct to assumed that I only need a normal flat lens board to get infinity focus...

I then measure the maximum extension of the ultra wide focus rail, it's set at 72.4mm, so if I want to use 72mm I need an extruded lens board of about 20mm...

So, my assumption is all wrong!

Bob Salomon
22-Jun-2017, 07:22
Thanks Bob, I have downloaded the brochuse/pricelist for the part. It doesn't have anything for the 47mm XL, but it does have lens board 001159 for the 58mm XL. Does that mean that they share the same lens board?

No, they don't.

David Lindquist
22-Jun-2017, 14:01

The 2013 Linhof price list includes the 47 mm Super Angulan XL. It shows lens board 001120 is the one to be used on the Master Technika 2000 and 3000. This is a flat lens board bored for the No. 0 Copal shutter and has the cable release "Quicksocket."
David

xiaubauu
22-Jun-2017, 18:18
The 2013 Linhof price list includes the 47 mm Super Angulan XL. It shows lens board 001120 is the one to be used on the Master Technika 2000 and 3000. This is a flat lens board bored for the No. 0 Copal shutter and has the cable release "Quicksocket."
David

Thanks, I think I work it out... 47mm XL only need a flat board. Which is quite nice to be honest.