PDA

View Full Version : New Ultra-Light Chamonix 810 Camera

Hugo Zhang
17-Jun-2017, 19:32
Hi everyone,

Our new ultra-light 810 model is coming out in mid July.

It is a horizontal only format and you have to turn the camera 90 degrees for vertical shots. The name of the camera is 810 Alpinist.

Here are some numbers:

weight: 2,460 grams without the ground glass cover
max bellows without extension rack: 570mm, 700mm with extension rack
min bellows: 60mm
front rise: 72mm, front fall: 53mm, front shift: 50mm on each side
rear swing: 10 degrees on each side
rear tilt: 30 degrees
folded size: 355mm x 270mm x 97mm
price: $3,500 plus $115 EMS shipping

I will post some pictures next month in our website when it comes out.

Hugo

Tri Tran
20-Jun-2017, 22:58
Excellent design. Thanks for the update Hugo.

cp_photo
15-Aug-2017, 15:23
Any news about this camera or pictures? It could influence my purchase decision!

Hugo Zhang
15-Aug-2017, 15:49
First batch of 25 are all sold out and next batch is coming out next March. I will post pictures of it later this month on our website. But you can email me and I will send pictures to your email. Thanks. Hugo

consummate_fritterer
15-Aug-2017, 17:36
We all love you, Hugo. :)

Jim Fitzgerald
15-Aug-2017, 18:00
Hugo, awesome. Can't wait to see it!!

martinf5
15-Aug-2017, 23:49
Hugo is a really good guy, helped me so much with my 4x5!

blue4130
16-Aug-2017, 03:11
I am guessing this is it...

https://world.taobao.com/item/556627849404.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a230r.1.14.107.76bf523MIsUIe&ns=1&abbucket=12#detail

ericantonio
22-Aug-2017, 15:15
Great! Just when I thought I had enough equipment...

Ozzz
5-Sep-2017, 19:46
Just out of curiosity - what is the weight savings that can be achieved by making the camera horizontal only? I have a similar query on the Chamonix H-1 5x7 offering which also does horizontal only. I've been advised to get the 057Fs2 if I want to go 5x7 in portrait position, but that loses the non-folding charm of the H-1 so I balked at the time. I've the same question here for this new 810 product. Who does 8x10 in horizontal positions only? Those who shoot only 4x10?

Not meaning to trash talk this product (in this day and age, any new film gear is music to the ear), but I am genuinely lost as to "what's the point".

Hugo Zhang
5-Sep-2017, 21:15
Ozzz,

This new camera is about half the weight of our flagship 810 camera with convertible back. Anybody who wants one 810 camera for universal use should consider our 810 camera with convertible back.

But over the years, people keep asking us to make them a light weight 810 camera, many of them already have our 810 convertible cameras. Excuses can always be found: some people who want to walk far from there parked cars and others who shoot mostly horizontal landscapes.

Do we plan to make another camera with convertible back at the same weight? Not possible. But we do plan to make an identical sister for this camera and it will be vertical only. So we will have a twin. All the numbers will be the same. The new baby will come out next March.

I guess the point is that some people, this number is very small indeed, are asking for and willing to pay multiple cameras for one format. Crazy, isn't it? Almost like some car people.

Ozzz
5-Sep-2017, 23:38
Thanks for the reply Hugo, the example is aptly put indeed. I have sent you a PM on a similar subject which doesn't relate the 810 (hence I sent by way of PM). Thanks and look forward to reading reviews on the camera!

Michael Jones
14-Oct-2017, 13:09
I just received my Alpinist. What a wonderful camera! It is the new Millennium successor to the Phillips Explorer. Absolutely world class materials, construction and finish. The camera is so simple it becomes an extension of you.

I probably insulted Hugo when I emailed that having owned two Phillips Explorers, I think Dick would pleased to see what Chamonix has done with his concept. I meant it as a compliment of the highest order.

Mike

karl french
14-Oct-2017, 13:13
Beautiful.

Andrew O'Neill
17-Oct-2017, 09:06
Like the look and the GG protector.

Peter De Smidt
17-Oct-2017, 09:26
That's a nice looking camera. I look forward to hearing about how it is in the field.

Ozzz
17-Oct-2017, 10:05
Appreciate this is an ultra-light option for a 8x10 camera - but is there an easy way to put the camera in portrait positions when you want to, say, picture a tree? I seem to be unable to comprehend the charm of horizontal- / vertical-only field cameras...have I missed the elephant in the room, or do you really shoot exclusively horizontal composition?

Michael Jones
17-Oct-2017, 11:47
Landscape orientation in virtually all my imaging. Given the weight, tilting ninety degrees is not an issue. However, as Dick Phillips cautioned many years ago when buying his Explorers, if you have more that 10% of your images in portrait orientation, you will not be happy with a horizontal only camera.

I wanted compact and lightweight to trim down my 8x10 kit. Lighter camera, lighter tripod, smaller lenses, and where are our replacement Mido holders to round it all out? All this fits into a "largish" shoulder bag.

Mike

Ozzz
17-Oct-2017, 21:48
Thanks Mike. Are there quickload-like options for film size larger than 4x5?? I'm not as seasoned as the other members here so would love to know the options!

Ari
18-Oct-2017, 08:28
Landscape orientation in virtually all my imaging. Given the weight, tilting ninety degrees is not an issue. However, as Dick Phillips cautioned many years ago when buying his Explorers, if you have more that 10% of your images in portrait orientation, you will not be happy with a horizontal only camera.

I wanted compact and lightweight to trim down my 8x10 kit. Lighter camera, lighter tripod, smaller lenses, and where are our replacement Mido holders to round it all out? All this fits into a "largish" shoulder bag.

Mike

I'm one who uses 90% portrait orientation on 8x10; does Chamonix offer this option (portrait-only back)?
I could live with having to flip the camera at 90˚ to landscape orientation for the remainder of shooting.

Vaughn
18-Oct-2017, 09:05
I'm one who uses 90% portrait orientation on 8x10; does Chamonix offer this option (portrait-only back)?
I could live with having to flip the camera at 90˚ to landscape orientation for the remainder of shooting.

I used a 4x5 Gowland PocketView (Calumet version) this way for many years -- granted, it is easier to turn a 2 pound camera 90 degrees. The PockerView could be set up as landscape or portrait 'mode', just not practical to do in the field if the light was changing. One just removed the four screws holding the camera on to the standards, rotate the body 90 degrees and put the screws back in. I stopped doing this when I dropped one of the screws in a creek and just flipped the camera 90 degrees on the tripod/head.

But what was interesting was that which ever way I had the camera set-up (portrait or landscape), that was the type of images I tended to see.

Hugo Zhang
18-Oct-2017, 09:58

Ari,

We are coming out with a vertical only 810, same as Alpinist. See my earlier post.

Hugo

Ari
19-Oct-2017, 07:40
Ari,

We are coming out with a vertical only 810, same as Alpinist. See my earlier post.

Hugo

Thanks, Hugo; I must have missed that part. Looks like that speed-reading course was a waste of money. :)
I'll keep an eye out for the portrait Alpinist.

Alan Gales
19-Oct-2017, 18:12
Thanks, Hugo; I must have missed that part. Looks like that speed-reading course was a waste of money. :)
I'll keep an eye out for the portrait Alpinist.

Ari my friend, this Portrait Alpinist may be the camera that you are looking for. I know how much you want something sturdy but still light as possible. As much as Frank Petronio hated wooden field cameras for being flimsy, he bought a Chamonix 4x5 and raved about how sturdy it was.

Ari
19-Oct-2017, 18:20
Ari my friend, this Portrait Alpinist may be the camera that you are looking for. I know how much you want something sturdy but still light as possible. As much as Frank Petronio hated wooden field cameras for being flimsy, he bought a Chamonix 4x5 and raved about how sturdy it was.

We'll see, Alan (good to hear from you, btw); if the Arca bug hasn't caught me by then, your prediction just might come true!

Alan Gales
19-Oct-2017, 19:04
Yeah, I just hope you get a camera that you really enjoy.

Ari
19-Oct-2017, 19:58
I enjoy most of them, but haven't been able to keep any of them for more than a year or two.
Then there's that whole "economics" thing that makes me sell stuff I don't want to.

Alan Gales
19-Oct-2017, 20:23
I enjoy most of them, but haven't been able to keep any of them for more than a year or two.

I do that all the time.

For me it's hard to find the close to perfect camera. As you know I'm very happy with my Wehman 8x10. I also loved my Contax 139 35mm camera. My favorite medium format camera was the RZ67 but it was too heavy for hand held shots due to my bad back. I've got a Mamiya C220f now and an added Minolta Autocord. In digital my D200 and D300 worked well for my sports photography but I always hated the tiny viewfinders. Since I'm no longer shooting sports I now own a Fuji X100s. I like it but I'm looking to possibly add a Nikon D800e with a 3 lens set.

I don't know if you ever saw Frank Petronio's extensive list of cameras that he has owned. I've owned probably 3/4's of the amount he has owned if you are talking about varieties. Some camera's I have owned multiples of. I have no idea how many original Pentax 645 cameras I have bought and sold. ;) It just worked out that way. Also those Cambo/Calumet 4x5 monorails! I'd buy those just for the lens sets that came with them. Anyway, I tried everything out before I sold it. I learned a lot about cameras and a lot about myself.

Here is my list of my favorite cameras. Contax 139, Mamiya RZ67, and Wehman 8x10. The Minolta Autocord may be in the running. I hope you noticed that there were no digital cameras mentioned in the best list. :)

To be fair to Hugo, I've not yet owned a Chamonix.

Alan Gales
19-Oct-2017, 20:45
I have to give it to Chamonix for the way they keep coming out with new large format cameras. It seems like they are trying to appeal to everyone. I wish them the best.

Alan Gales
19-Oct-2017, 20:56
Then there's that whole "economics" thing that makes me sell stuff I don't want to.

I've met your lovely wife. I'm sure your daughter is wonderful. How could she not be with the loving parents she has? :) I'm not rich either. Balancing family with an expensive hobby can be hard. The hobby always gets the cut.

Hugo Zhang
20-Oct-2017, 10:11
Ari,

I have been looking an ideal lens, just one lens, for the Alpinist. The Cooke convertible lens you have is the top candidate. For 810 portrait, you can use the combined for half or whole body and use the single element for head shots. The camera can handle that lens with ease, but not my Universal-Heliar 42cm. I would use different camera for studio head shots.

Ari
20-Oct-2017, 21:40
I've met your lovely wife. I'm sure your daughter is wonderful. How could she not be with the loving parents she has? :) I'm not rich either. Balancing family with an expensive hobby can be hard. The hobby always gets the cut.

Thank you, Alan; and you're right, the cameras have to come last these days.

Ari,

I have been looking an ideal lens, just one lens, for the Alpinist. The Cooke convertible lens you have is the top candidate. For 810 portrait, you can use the combined for half or whole body and use the single element for head shots. The camera can handle that lens with ease, but not my Universal-Heliar 42cm. I would use different camera for studio head shots.

Hi Hugo,
The Cooke is a very special lens, so you obviously have great taste! :)
But it's got its quirks as well, which are really just natural properties of convertible lenses.
The Chamonix 8x10's bellows maxes out at 700mm with extension board; believe it or not, this isn't long enough when using the Cooke at its longest FL of 646mm. For that you need 733mm of extension just to get to infinity.
And the shorter 476mm FL needs 542mm of extension, just barely enough for full extension without the add-on board.
The 311mm needs 312mm of extension.
https://www.cookeoptics.com/l/xva.html

howardpan
29-Apr-2019, 17:17
Has anyone used this camera turned 90 degrees to get a vertical composition? How did it handle? What was your experience?

Hi everyone,

Our new ultra-light 810 model is coming out in mid July.

It is a horizontal only format and you have to turn the camera 90 degrees for vertical shots. The name of the camera is 810 Alpinist.

Here are some numbers:

weight: 2,460 grams without the ground glass cover
max bellows without extension rack: 570mm, 700mm with extension rack
min bellows: 60mm
front rise: 72mm, front fall: 53mm, front shift: 50mm on each side
folded size: 355mm x 270mm x 97mm
price: $3,500 plus $115 EMS shipping

I will post some pictures next month in our website when it comes out.

Hugo

Hugo Zhang
4-May-2019, 15:18
We recommend this camera for people shooting 80% of 8x10 format in horizontal format. Yes you can turn the camera 90 degrees to shoot portrait as long as the lens is not too heavy.

We also have a vertical only 810 Alpinist for people shooting mostly portraits. A few photographers have both cameras because they don't like to turn the camera 90 degrees.

We plan to make an 810 Alpinist with convertible back so you don't have to turn the camera 90 degrees. This is going to be more expensive and the waiting time will be at least 8-10 months.

Greg
4-May-2019, 16:26
Ari,

Recently have come to more and more use one lens for on my 8x10 Chamonix... 13" (330mm) Wollensak f/6.8 Series IA Raptar. Its lens coating is amazingly good and compares quite favorably to modern coatings. Also convertible to 20" and 25 1/2" which I am using more than I thought I would. Size is also compact and image on the GG brighter than I thought it would be when I acquired the lens.

Hugo Zhang
4-May-2019, 17:04
I used to have that lens too and liked it a lot. Very sharp.

dodphotography
19-Sep-2019, 12:25
We recommend this camera for people shooting 80% of 8x10 format in horizontal format. Yes you can turn the camera 90 degrees to shoot portrait as long as the lens is not too heavy.

We also have a vertical only 810 Alpinist for people shooting mostly portraits. A few photographers have both cameras because they don't like to turn the camera 90 degrees.

We plan to make an 810 Alpinist with convertible back so you don't have to turn the camera 90 degrees. This is going to be more expensive and the waiting time will be at least 8-10 months.

Any word on the Alpinist with convertible back?

Hugo Zhang
19-Sep-2019, 14:02
Chamonix 810 Alpinist with convertible back will be out in the first half of 2020 and 810H will be in later part of 2020.

peter schrager
19-Sep-2019, 14:46
Nothing against chamonix but Richard ritter's 8x10 has all the blows extensions you will ever need

peter schrager
19-Sep-2019, 14:46
That's bellows extension..oops!

Sal Santamaura
19-Sep-2019, 15:46
That's bellows extension..oops!In post #39 you, as the poster, should be presented with an "edit" button. Much easier to use it than immediately replying with another post. :)

James Morris
21-Sep-2019, 21:51
Chamonix 810 Alpinist with convertible back will be out in the first half of 2020 and 810H will be in later part of 2020.

What is the 810H? Non-folding? I'd love to see a super lightweight non-folding 8x10.

Dave Wooten
17-Jun-2020, 06:32
Guys, have you heard from the Chamonix 810 Alpinist yet?

Send Hugo Zang a note,
He will have "all the scoop"

JayJayOkocha
18-Jun-2020, 09:21
This post goes to Hugo:

Any news about the new Alpinist with Convertible back?

Hugo Zhang
18-Jun-2020, 09:43
Our convertible Alpinist model will come out at the end of next month. I don't have its details yet. I will put its tech data and prices on our website when it comes out.

I can't wait for it as I have been using the Alpinist horizontal for the last few months. It is an incredible camera.

JayJayOkocha
18-Jun-2020, 13:43
Thanks for the fast reply. Can you give a price on the new one too already?

Hugo Zhang
18-Jun-2020, 14:07
Thanks for the fast reply. Can you give a price on the new one too already?

I will when it comes out in six weeks. :)

Hugo Zhang
29-Jun-2020, 09:45
Here is the latest news about our 810 Alpinist X, the convertible model:

810 Alpinist X Convertible Camera

Is expected to come out in mid August 2020.

Here are some number:

weight: 2,890 grams without the ground glass cover

max bellows: 680mm, min bellows: 60mm

front rise: 87mm, front fall: 75mm, front shift: 50mm on each side

front tilt: 30 degrees

folded size: 355mm x 310mm x 97mm

expected price: $4,690

Please email Hugo at hugoz_2000@yahoo.com to get on the waiting list if interested.

Pictures will be posted when they are available.

aflc
29-Jun-2020, 13:09
Here is the latest news about our 810 Alpinist X, the convertible model:

810 Alpinist X Convertible Camera

expected price: $4,690

How much in euros?
Thanks!

Best regards
Alexandre Carneiro

Enviado do meu GM1913 através do Tapatalk

Hugo Zhang
29-Jun-2020, 14:47
How much in euros?
Thanks!

Best regards
Alexandre Carneiro

Enviado do meu GM1913 através do Tapatalk

That is about 4162 in Euro.

Hugo Zhang
6-Jul-2020, 21:58
Please see the pictures of Alpinist X here:

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/cameras/8x10alpinist

ghostcount
6-Jul-2020, 22:38

:cool: WOW! :cool:

Jim Fitzgerald
6-Jul-2020, 23:34
Awesome cameras!

Swami
8-Jul-2020, 04:23

Incredible... take my money.
:p

Hugo Zhang
8-Jul-2020, 15:29
Somebody asked me last week how rigid the front standard was and if it could handle heavy lenses with tilts. I put the 810 Alpinist horizontal on the tripod and put my heaviest lens on shutter on the camera. It is an Apo-Lanthar 30cm f/4.5 lens with a weight of 1.8kg. It was rock solid when locked down. I would guess the X model will be the same.

JayJayOkocha
28-Sep-2020, 17:23
@ Hugo

any news on the 810H?

Hugo Zhang
28-Sep-2020, 17:58
@ Hugo

any news on the 810H?

Al least 10-12 months away if we make it. Our Alpinist X is so popular and nobody asks about 810H model anymore.

Andrew O'Neill
29-Sep-2020, 12:27
Beautiful camera... the only thing I don't like is having to tilt the camera on its side for verticals, and no front tilt capability. The 6cm minimum bellows is great. Is there a bag bellows for this camera? Too tight, otherwise for any movements.

Hugo Zhang
29-Sep-2020, 12:31
Beautiful camera... the only thing I don't like is having to tilt the camera on its side for verticals, and no front tilt capability. The 6cm minimum bellows is great. Is there a bag bellows for this camera? Too tight, otherwise for any movements.

Our Alpinist X is convertible model with about 1 lbs more added weight. You can do both horizontal and vertical with X model without tilting the camera. No bag bellows.

Vaughn
29-Sep-2020, 14:32
If I had not relatively recently purchased an 11x14 Chamonix through you, the Alpinist X would be sorely tempting!

Andrew -- It looks to have on-axis front tilt. Edited: it has 30 degrees front axis tilt (there are two sets of specs)

Drew Wiley
30-Sep-2020, 10:21
An impressive camera!

JayJayOkocha
6-Dec-2020, 14:17
Did anyone has to pay taxes/custom/import fees buying a chamonix?

Tin Can
6-Dec-2020, 14:44
Move along, nothing to see here...

Swami
7-Dec-2020, 02:01
I made a purchase from Chamonix and had it delivered to the US. No taxes, customs or import fees.

Jim Becia
11-Dec-2020, 17:48
I have this camera and it is an incredibly lightweight and well made camera. It’s also a joy to use.

Tin Can
12-Dec-2020, 06:16
Excellent!

Don't let the Trolls take it!

I have this camera and it is an incredibly lightweight and well made camera. It’s also a joy to use.

Hugo Zhang
23-Oct-2021, 13:00
Hass has just made a video of instruction for 810 Alpinist X camera.

https://youtu.be/BVPNrn-v9ek

Andrew O'Neill
25-Oct-2021, 08:41
Nice!

Vaughn
25-Oct-2021, 14:00
Nice video. I have an 11x14 Chamonix, which looks a lot like an enlarged 8x10 Alpinist. The 11x14 weighs similar to my Zone VI 8x10...larger 'package' of course.

Nicely thought out -- the sliders that zero the back to vertical are handy.
I need to adjust the focus adjuster on the 11x14 -- it will not tighten the focus down firmly...usually no problem when the camera is level and should be an easy adjustment when I take the time to look at it closely. Just have to introduce a little more drag.

I have to remember to double check that the back has no swing accidentally set before I start focusing (can be done under the darkcloth with one's fingers). I tend not to tighten strongly some of the movements/knobs when packing up the camera. That way, any small bumps in storage, transportation, and/or set-up in the field will cause the camera to shift a little instead straining wood or metal parts. Perhaps just under 'finger-tight' and I handle the camera by the base, or camera parts firmly attached to the base (handles are for show as far as I am concerned, tho they are well-made on the camera).