PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid Instant Sheet Film

brian steinberger
28-Jun-2005, 18:49
Can someone explain to me how polaroid instant sheet films work, such as Type55. I know they produce a negative, but do they produce an instant print as well? And how much "on-the-spot" chemicals are involved? Thanks

Brian

Scott Rosenberg
28-Jun-2005, 19:04
brian...

check this out:
http://shopus.polaroid.com/shop/public/search/dsp_quick_search_results.cfm?category_code_id=626&subcategory=B04

the two polaroid film i use are type 54 and type 55.

type 54 is an iso 100 film that produces a print only. i use it to check my focus and exposure. works brilliantly.

type 55 film produces both a negative and a print. if you're shooting it for the print, rate it at iso 50. if you're shooting for the negative, rate it at 25. it yields a VERY fine negative with those wonderful polaroid egdes.

type 54 requires no chemistry.

type 55 requires some chemistry.
after shooting it, i remove it from the holder w/o developing it. once i get home, i load it back into the holder and run it through the rollers developing it. i then perfrom the following:
1. wash it in hypo remover (heiko perma wash, hustler rapid bath, etc)
2. rinse in water for 5 minutes
3. soak in a 1:10 selenium toner solution for 2 minutes
4. rinse in photo flow solution for 5 minutes

good luck!
scott

Scott Rosenberg
28-Jun-2005, 20:01
woops, after the selenium toner the neg goes back into the hyop remover, then to the final rinse.

Capocheny
28-Jun-2005, 22:50
Brian,

My apologies if I'm hijacking your thread a bit but I hope my question helps you out too! :)

I've not used Polaroid film either...

Scott,

Many people say they use Polaroid Type 55 to check exposure... If I'm using Provia 100 and the Type 55 is set at ISO 25 (for neg)... what is the procedure from here? What should I set my meter at for exposing the Polaroid? And, for the Provia? 100 or 25?

Me's a bit confused here. :(

Many thanks for your assistance...

Cheers

Scott Rosenberg
28-Jun-2005, 23:44
henry,

i use type 54 to check exposure for two reasons:

1. at 100, it is a very good match iso-wise for the film i use (fp4+) so there are no adjustments to make... if my type 54 print looks good, i'm all set to shoot... just re-cock the shutter and i'm in business.
2. there is no chemical-coated negative to have to deal with.

i'm a bit confused by your statement:
Many people say they use Polaroid Type 55 to check exposure... If I'm using Provia 100 and the Type 55 is set at ISO 25 (for neg)... what is the procedure from here? What should I set my meter at for exposing the Polaroid? And, for the Provia? 100 or 25?

i really can't see why you would want to shoot type 55 for the neg just to check exposure... it's far easier, for me at least, to check a positive rather than a negative. if i wanted to check exposure, i'd either use type 55 for the print at iso 50 or type 54 at iso 100.

if you are shooting type 55, iso 25 will yield a proper negative; iso 50 will yield a proper print. the film has two correct speeds depending on what you want from it. if you want to evaluate your exposure via the print, shoot it at iso 50 and toss the neg, as it's going to be off by a stop. if you want to make a printable negative, shoot it at iso 25 and toss the print, as it's going to be off by one stop.

in your example, if you're shooting type 55 at iso 25 and get a good negative, you're going to need to give your provia two stops less exposure to have the provia properly exposed.

if you're shooting type 55 at iso 50 and get a properly exposed print, you're going to need to give the provia one stop less exposure.

i'm not sure i answered your questions, so feel free to email me at scott@srosenberg.com or post back here.

scott

Scott Rosenberg
29-Jun-2005, 00:22
henry, i re-read your post a few times, and think i discovered the disconnect.

type 55 film produces both a negative AND a print with each exposure. if you want a properly exposed print from which to evaluate your exposure settings, you meter at iso 50. if the print looks good, then make the necessary adjustments for the other film that you're using - provia in your case, which is one stop faster at iso 100. if instead you desire the negative from your type 55, you shoot at iso 25. the negatives are very fine, and have great 'polaroid' edges. very nice for certain type shots.

scott

Capocheny
30-Jun-2005, 01:05
Hi Scott,

Thanks kindly for the information you've provided... as I've never used Polaroid film this is, indeed, a learning experience for me. There is just sooo much to learn! :)

Once again... thank you.

Cheers

Bosaiya
1-Jul-2005, 12:46
I shoot a lot of Type 55. The way I do it is to soak the negs in water for "a while" (up to three or four days sometimes) and then process in sodium sulfite. The reason is that the negtives are very goopy and it's easier to have all the goop come off in the water than in the solution, which would then have to be replaced more frequently. You can put them straight into the solution but you will go through it more quickly.