PDA

View Full Version : Initial Submissions of Photos as JPEGS on CD OK?

Brian Vuillemenot
27-Jun-2005, 15:57
Hello,

I have several publications that I'm planning on submitting work to in the near future, but I need to figure out the format for the submissions. Sending original transparencies is, of course, not an option. Since the work is all in the 4X5 and 6X17 format, it is difficult or impossible to get duplicates made. I had been thinking about sending 8X10 prints, but since I don't do my own printing, it could be expensive, particularly if the prints aren't returned to me eventually. Has anyone out there had any experiences with submitting work as jpegs on a CD? This is just for an initial query, to see if there's any interest in my work. I would be willing to submit the originals if I received a positive response to the submission. Any other suggestions for promotion packages sent unsolicited to magazines and other photo buyers? Thanks!

Mark Windom
27-Jun-2005, 16:24
Personally, I wouldn't send unsolicited submissions of any kind. First of all, there's no obligation on the part of the editor to return them to you. Secondly, there's a good chance you could send them in a format (prints, CD, etc) that they wouldn't be interested in reviewing. Third, with all the competition out there you need to appear as professional as possible and unsolicited submissions would not be considered "professional" by many. In addition, many (if not most) editors are so busy that receiving a submission they didn't ask for may close, rather than open, doors for you.

Best advice would be to send a query letter asking for submission guidelines and then follow those guidelines to the letter.

BTW, I have always sent original transparencies and in over 10 years of doing so have never had a problem. Many editors are now accepting digital submissions but have very specific requirements you must follow...ask before sending.

The above mentioned advice is based upon my personal experiences with the various paper product publishing industries. Others may have differing experiences and opinions.

John Flavell
27-Jun-2005, 16:27
I've been submitting for shows on cds and the file size has been about the same as we need to view on screen from a website. I take it up just a notch: 100 dpi and five inches on the long end. Just enough for a juror or editor to get a good look on a screen. Most of the standards I see are for jpegs.

Most publications have a standard these days and they all seem to be moving to the same kind of format, the cd or the dvd. Some are even listing standards in the publication, on a website, or in Photographer's Market.

QT Luong
27-Jun-2005, 18:29
I don't really know the mechanics of submissions, since I've given up on the practice of sending out materials to prospective clients. I refer them to my web site (which in general they find first).

Based on my experience of licensing images over the web, I'd say
that 95% of photo buyers select images based on a typical web resolution (500 pix on the long end),
and then ask you for the digital file at production size. Although I assume they could refuse the final file if the quality is unsufficient, I think at the point when they receive it, their decision is already made.

Maybe you can set-up a website, and just refer them to it. This would be more efficient than sending CDs, and let you control the presentation better. It would also free up the photo editor's desk.

paulr
27-Jun-2005, 20:34
Many publications put submission guidelines on their websites, though you often have to dig for them. Otherwise, send an email. Some have very specific guidelines, others don't care what you send, others don't want to hear from you at all.

In any case it's easy to prepare digital files in different sizes, you should plan to prepare them individually for each pub rather than do a mass mailing.

domenico Foschi
28-Jun-2005, 10:32
I have put together a little "presentation" package comprising of a cd with images, query letter, resume, a SASE in case i want the material back. Make sure that the CD is both readable for PC & MAC.
I would recommend you to spend ,time in this project since the look of the package will reflect the pride you have in your work.
The book " Photographer's market " is a good source of adresses, and you will also find submission guidlines in each of the entries.
GOOD LUCK!

tim atherton
28-Jun-2005, 10:58
Brian,

As Paul says, if you hunt around either the actual publication or their website, you can often find their submission guidelines.

An awful lot really depends on exactly what type of work and what type of publication.

I started off doing this years ago when I did much more photojournalism and editorial work. The promotional/marketing side of it all has never come naturally or easily to me.... but a couple of things I have learnt is that unless you have had some kind of communication with an editor and they have said "sure, send me some prints from that project to look at", you are probably better off with fewer rather than more images. Just a few that will catch their eye. Most are so busy that they aren't going to look more at a CD or package of images unless something hooks them at the first glance. So trying to find a different way to show and present your work from the moment they open it up is going to be a big advantage (you can look for the annual "Promotional" issue of Photo District News - some very fancy stuff, and some people spend a fortune producing it - I have always used it more as a source of widening my imagination about how to promote my work, and then finding a way to do it on a budget....)

With my more recent work - more personal, less photjournalistic, I produced a small handmade book a couple of years ago "Seven photographs from the blah blah blah project" etc - 5x7 or 4x6, printed on cotton rag paper on an Ultrachrome Inkjet printer and either hand sewn or bound with those little brass screw posts. Signed and numbered in an "edition". It was a bit of fiddly work, but I've had more response from that (and a slightly similar b&w follow up of another project) than anything else I did over the years. It came across as hand crafted (but not "home made"), I kept the few graphics and text simple (one of the best bookmakers/publishers I know commented on how much he loved the layout and text - and I find doing that kind of stuff about 100 times more difficult than actually taking the photographs).

I also found editors and curators didn't want to throw it out, because it felt like a small piece a "art" rather than say a couple of promo postcards. I've got assignments from this, I've sold images as stock, written an article on the work for an architectural magazine, I've had one solo and one group exhibition from it and two institutions have gone on to purchase work - as well as a lot of other positve response that is still being followed up on.

I guess what I'm saying is find a simple way to make your work stand out and look different from the 200 hundred other submissions that will cross their desk that week (or day...)

Brian Vuillemenot
28-Jun-2005, 17:42
Thanks for your advice, everyone. Tim, I'm intrigued by the promotional book you made- it seems like a great way to stand out, especially among the more upscale photo buyers. Was yours limited to seven photographs, or did you have a few more? I was thinking perhaps a dozen or so?