PDA

View Full Version : Rear standard on Tachihara

Paul Cocklin
27-Jun-2005, 14:34
Hello all.

As some of you know, I purchased a used Tachihara about a week ago. I just received the lensboard from Badger (fast shipping!) and I shot a couple of test shots on Fuji Velvia100 to make sure it's lighttight, etc. I've noticed a couple of things that don't really 'concern' me, but I'm not sure if they're normal or not.

1. There are two screws that hold the verticals of the rear standard to the base. These don't seem very tight, and the rear standard 'wobbles' a little (maybe 2mm) when racking out the front stardard or when opening the camera. I can tighten them, but I don't have a torque wrench that small and I don't want to over-tighten them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. How do I get rear tilt backwards? Is this possible on this camera? I figured out forwards tilt for the rear (I opened it...) but I don't want to force anything and can't seem to figure it out. :-(

3. Does this camera do forward tilt from the base? I figured out forward axis tilt (not as intuitive as I thought it would be but still easy) but I swear I've seen pictures of this camera with front base tilt forward. Please let me know if I'm wrong on that.

I guess that's it...I almost wet myself with excitement when I heard UPS pull up. Can't wait to go shooting the CA coastline in a couple of days.

Thanks again for everything this forum's done for me.
Paul

Graeme Hird
27-Jun-2005, 15:57
Paul,

Rear Standard tilt: The knobs you used to tighten the rear standard in place should be loosened and the curved guides can then be slightly moved to allow the rear standard to swing beyond the detent.

Front Standard Tilt: A similar method is used for the front tilt - push the guides a little so that the locking bolts don't stay in the detents.

Can't help with the first one off the top of my head ....

Cheers,

Paul_5410
27-Jun-2005, 16:50
Hello Paul,
There are two clamping locks on the front and rear standards. When they are locked there should be no movement.

I THINK? the two screws you are referring to are the rear base plate pivot guides. You also have a small rivet in the center. All those should have easy movement. Your locking down of the standards occurs with the outside knobs (slide in the back & focus rack in the front) and the compression clamps which can be adjusted to a good tight clamp.) Look there for the rear wobble.

Take a small 3" cresent wrench and gently snug all the acorn nuts because they tend to loosen over time. Remember, wood expands and contracts with moisture content. Be gentle, NEVER TORQUE ANYTHING on this camera. It is little more than a fancy box kite.
Enjoy,
Paul

Robert C. McColloch
27-Jun-2005, 17:23
Paul -

1. “ … two screws that hold the verticals of the rear standard to the base.” ?

Are you referring to the PHILLIPS-head screws (i.e., the ones that hinge the back)?

If so, just tighten them a little till the wobble is eliminated (reduced?).

2. “… rear tilt backwards?”.

To do this, loosen the knobs on each side of the back standard; straighten up the back … [now notice how the metal brace has a NOTCH in it]. This notch locks-in the back standard in its normal position. [if you want to pull the back further, pull it past the notch – then, screw the knobs tight to hold the back in position].
3. “Does this camera do [a] forward tilt from the base?”
(I assume you mean the rear standard?) If so, the answer is
“Yes”.
By the way, in architectural photography, it often necessary to tilt the tripod head upward to get the entire building – to do this, the back standard is moved forward till the bubble level is centered; then, the forward standard set parallel to the rear standard. This way the distortion is eliminated such that it looks like you are looking directly into the building as if you were at a much higher vantage point.
[more than you ever wanted to know about this subject!]
I hope this has been helpful?

Robert C. McColloch
27-Jun-2005, 17:34
Paul -

1. “ … two screws that hold the verticals of the rear standard to the base.” ?
Are you referring to the PHILLIPS-head screws (i.e., the ones that hinge the back)?

If so, just tighten them a little till the wobble is eliminated (reduced?).

2. “… rear tilt backwards?”.

To do this, loosen the knobs on each side of the back standard and straighten up the back … [now notice how the metal brace has a NOTCH in it]. This notch locks-in the back standard in its normal position. [if you want to pull the back further, pull it past the notch – then, screw the knobs tight to hold the back in position].

3. “Does this camera do [a] forward tilt from the base?”
(I assume you mean the rear standard?)

If so,
the answer is
“YES”.

Regarding use of a back- standard forward tilt and forward-standard backward tilt , in architectural photography, it often necessary to tilt the tripod head upward to get the entire building – to do this, the back standard is moved forward till the bubble level is centered; then, the forward standard set parallel to the rear standard. In this way the distortion is eliminated such that it looks like you are looking directly into the building as if you were at a much higher vantage point.

I hope this has been helpful?

Paul Cocklin
27-Jun-2005, 17:34
Thanks a lot everyone! All questions answered and are systems are go! Although I do have a red mark on my forehead from finally realizing how to get rear backtilt and front base tilt. DOH!

Thanks again!

Paul