PDA

View Full Version : Truck drivin out west

baronvonaaron
3-Jun-2017, 15:50
At the end of the month I'm going to be driving a Uhaul truck from Los Angeles to Denver to deliver some theatre scenery. I've only got two days to make the trip so I can't make any big detours. I've driven all around the southwest and the northwest, but never through Utah and western Colorado. Where should I stop along the way for some photo opportunities? Will I be allowed to drive a 15' truck thru national parks/forests?

I'll also be driving the same scenery from Denver to Philadelphia in September, also taking recommendations for detours on that trip.

Jac@stafford.net
3-Jun-2017, 16:19
If I had hired you I would be alarmed that you would take time off to pursue your own interests. When you do that, you introduce an opportunity for complications that could make you fail to deliver on time.

LabRat
3-Jun-2017, 17:31
Don't bring your pinhole... The exposures will take too long... ;-)

Enjoy the ride!!!

Steve K

DG 3313
3-Jun-2017, 19:49
At the end of the month I'm going to be driving a Uhaul truck from Los Angeles to Denver to deliver some theatre scenery. I've only got two days to make the trip so I can't make any big detours. I've driven all around the southwest and the northwest, but never through Utah and western Colorado. Where should I stop along the way for some photo opportunities? Will I be allowed to drive a 15' truck thru national parks/forests?

I'll also be driving the same scenery from Denver to Philadelphia in September, also taking recommendations for detours on that trip.

I haven't taken that route but, I like how you think. Get the job done and everybody needs to stop from time to time....why not stand behind a camera when you do..........

xkaes
4-Jun-2017, 06:03
Take the most beautiful road in the US -- UTAH Route 12 (https://www.scenicbyway12.com/). It runs from Bryce Canyon NP to Capitol Reef NP. I first drove it when it was a dirt road. Now it is a wide, paved road. No problem for a 15' truck -- except that you will want to stop every five minutes to take pictures!

Uhhhh, makes that every TWO minutes!

Richard Raymond
4-Jun-2017, 12:03
Let's see... drive time from Los Angeles to Denver along the I15 to I70 route is 16 to 20 hours in a UHaul. While there are some quick off and ons just north of St George in southwest Utah I would recommend simply pushing the first day to Grand Junction, CO then get up early and take some photos climbing up the 70 past Vail and around the summit of the pass before heading down into Denver. There are no quick routes through Zion and Route 12 is nice but can be slow. At least an extra 2 hours of driving time added to the schedule.
Ric

David Lobato
4-Jun-2017, 12:28
If you are driving on Interstate 70 through Grand Junction Colorado, Colorado National Monument is well worth the short detour and a great place for photos. It's your best bet on I-70.

baronvonaaron
5-Jun-2017, 09:29
Ok good notes, I'll consider pushing on to CO. the scenic byway also looks gorgeous.

the people paying me know that I'm a photographer and have encouraged quick stops. adding a couple hours seems reasonable. I spent 3 years on tour with Ringling bros driving vans and RVs, so I've got a pretty good intuition for ETAs. haha if we didnt make detours on that job we'd all have gone more crazy then we were when we started.

xkaes
5-Jun-2017, 09:38
Keep in mind that the Utah route 12 is basically traveling the hypotenuse of a triangle created by I-15 and I-70. So it is shorter as the crow flys, but a bit longer as the shutterbug snaps.

Sirius Glass
5-Jun-2017, 15:38
Off I-70 on 191 Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park

biedron
5-Jun-2017, 22:17
Take the most beautiful road in the US -- UTAH Route 12 (https://www.scenicbyway12.com/). It runs from Bryce Canyon NP to Capitol Reef NP. I first drove it when it was a dirt road. Now it is a wide, paved road. No problem for a 15' truck -- except that you will want to stop every five minutes to take pictures!

Uhhhh, makes that every TWO minutes!

I agree that Route 12 (and then Route 24 through Capital Reef) is an awesome drive. But I think you would do better to not try to shoe-horn it into a few extra hours. Do it when you have time to enjoy the drive and explore the area.

Bob

Leszek Vogt
6-Jun-2017, 04:01
You have tons of slot canyons and thousands of wonderful visual distractions. It just feels like a v. frustrating trip IMO.
I've spend 70 days in SW few years back....and I feel I need another 70 :p. I'd concentrate on 2-3 good stops....and the
rest will just have to wait till you can check out more thoroughly. Enjoy.

Les