PDA

View Full Version : New Book by Merg Ross

Jim Becia
1-Jun-2017, 18:56
Merg has just published a book of his work. If you go to http://www.mergross.com/book.html the information is there.

Jim Fitzgerald
1-Jun-2017, 21:35
Awesome Jim. Thanks.

Tony Karnezis
2-Jun-2017, 02:07
One of the best ways I can think of to spend $30.

Congratulations, Merg. I'm really looking forward to seeing the book and giving it as a gift.

Eric Biggerstaff
2-Jun-2017, 07:09
All,

I had a wonderful surprise come to me in the mail last week, my friend Merg Ross sent me his new book "Beyond Casual Vision" which covers Merg's more than 60 years as a fine art photographer. I had the honor of penning a profile of Merg for View Camera magazine several years ago and have found inspiration both in the man and his work ever since. The book features not only his lovely images but his life in art as well. There are few photographic artists working today who have the connections to the history of our medium as deeply as Merg. I would HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone who loves the art of photography.

Merg is a frequent contributor to this forum and a true gentlemen so I hope several of us will purchase this fine book. You can order it directly from his site at:

http://www.mergross.com/book.html

Oren Grad
2-Jun-2017, 07:56
Threads merged. Thanks to Jim and Eric for sharing this!

DennisD
2-Jun-2017, 10:12
Congratulations, Merg, on your new book.

Looking forward to receiving a copy.

Knowing of your work, your many contributions to photography and to this forum, I'm sure the book is wonderful.

Dennis

David Karp
2-Jun-2017, 11:03
This is awesome.

Michael Kadillak
2-Jun-2017, 18:40
I look forward to adding it to my Brett Weston portfolio reprint series, the last four books of which I got from Lodima Press today. A place of rightful adjacency in my bookcase. Thanks Merg!

jvo
2-Jun-2017, 19:54
i don't see where you can buy the book? the information is there but no links or instructions to make a purchase!

Tony Karnezis
3-Jun-2017, 02:00
Hi jvo. You can pay Merg on Paypal using his email address to identify him. Be sure to put your mailing address in the note section. Cheers.

Roger Thoms
3-Jun-2017, 15:54
Just ordered my copy via PayPal, followed the link in the original post and used the email address there.

Roger

Jim Edmond
5-Jun-2017, 14:16
I’ve just finished reading the first chapter of Merg’s book, thanks to his very prompt shipping. If you’re a fan of the f.64 school of photography, don’t miss out on this one. The reproduction quality of his carefully composed images is high, and his recollections of experiences with the greats of West Coast photography is interesting and entertaining.

Jim Noel
5-Jun-2017, 14:27
I would like to have the book, but will not use Paypal because of major unresolved problem in the past. Any alternative? USPS money order for instance?

Michael Clark
5-Jun-2017, 14:51
Just received my copy of Mr. Ross's new book, looks very real good from what I glanced at, thanks Merg.

Mike

Roger Thoms
5-Jun-2017, 19:04
I would like to have the book, but will not use Paypal because of major unresolved problem in the past. Any alternative? USPS money order for instance?

Jim, go to this link http://www.mergross.com/book.html from the first post. Merg takes will take a check or USPS money order. His email is also there.

Roger

David Karp
5-Jun-2017, 20:37
Just received mine today. I have only had a few moments to look through it quickly. I am delighted. Don't miss it!

Jim Jones
6-Jun-2017, 05:52
Beyond Casual Vision is a well-printed portfolio spanning 63 years of photography by a master in the West Coast tradition. It is a valuable extension to my few dozen books on Weston and his friends and fellow photographers. While many other authors give more details as posthumous outsiders, Ross was involved with many of the iconic photographers from most of the 20th century. He even extended the attention to detail so obvious in his photography to the packaging and prompt mailing of the book.

Alan Curtis
11-Jun-2017, 05:17
I just finished Beyond Casual Vision. Simply stated it is fantastic. The very well written narrative takes you through Merg's fascinating photographic history developed with his experiences with the photographic legends that most of us only know of by their photographs. Merg's photographs are very well reproduced, they span from an image he made at about 13 years old to fairly new, all with the same strong vision we recognize. If I published a photograph I made at 13 it would be a slightly out of focus one of my dog.

Do yourself a favor and get a copy, you will enjoy it.

Gary Nylander
11-Jun-2017, 09:51
I also received a copy of Merg's book, Beyond Casual Vision, as others have noted here, outstanding work and excellent commentary on his life as a photographer andworking along side some of the greatest photographers in recent history. I have written a mini review on my blog: http://garynylander.blogspot.ca/2017/06/book-review-beyond-casual-vision-by.html

dasBlute
11-Jun-2017, 19:40
just received my copy, have been through it slow a few times... some of the images are in "the canon" now - for me at least-
one-of-a-kind bullseyes that make one glad for eyes... I'll let you decide which ones I mean :) Haven't read all the text, but
am just sojourning with the images for now, quite a journey....

Jim Fitzgerald
12-Jun-2017, 21:59
Merg, all I can say is "stunning!" Thanks for doing this book. It should be in every serious photographers library. I'm still trying to absorb it all.

David Karp
12-Jun-2017, 23:16
The text is quite enjoyable. I can only imagine myself or my kids setting out alone at such a young age for a cross-continental trip to meet such luminaries! The photos are wonderful. I am so glad to own this book.

dsphotog
14-Jun-2017, 15:42
My copy arrived yesterday, I didn't want to set it down, to write this post!
Truly wonderful!

Jim Graves
18-Jun-2017, 20:21
What a great book ... a fascinating life history and the photos that resulted. An easy read with eye candy ... thoroughly enjoyed it.

Merg Ross
22-Jun-2017, 20:32
"Beyond Casual Vision" was published in celebration of my 76th birthday, and sixty-plus years as a photographer. My belated thanks to those who have kindly commented here, and to those who have written me personally. Hearing from my fellow exhibitors of decades ago has been an unexpected treat, and recalls the significance of an earlier time. There are still a few of us left!

It is especially gratifying to see the book announced on this forum, which has provided me with knowledge and friendships over many years. It has been the ideal meeting place to discuss, share, agree, and civily disagree on various aspects of photography.

With gratitude and best wishes,
Merg

Alan Curtis
23-Jun-2017, 10:28
I checked the Chronology section of "Beyond Casual Vision" and tomorrow is Merg's 76th.
Happy birthday Merg.

QT Luong
24-Jun-2017, 14:46
Besides the strong and pure vision in the photographs, I found the memoir to be very engaging. I was surprised to see how back then a fresh high-school graduate could knock at the door of so many photography luminaries or instantly sell prints to prominent museums - for 40% of the highest price Weston ever charged. This is maybe the most overdue of any monograph, but it's been worth the wait to learn about Merg's remarkable life in photography. Happy birthday Merg.

David Karp
24-Jun-2017, 17:46
Happy Birthday Merg. And thanks again for making the effort to write that book and share your vision with us.

Merg Ross
27-Jun-2017, 20:24
Thank you for the birthday wishes. Indeed, it was a happy one!

Cheers,
Merg

Jim Becia
28-Jun-2017, 16:59
While I have not read the book in its entirety, the photographs are simply stunning. Merg's eye is observant and artistic. As I turned page after page, I kept thinking, this image is great, this image is great, etc. Merg knocks it out of the ballpark. If you haven't ordered this book, get yourself a copy.

DennisD
28-Jun-2017, 20:48
Merg's book is a treasure.

Not only are Merg's vision and his resulting images remarkable, the written content is most enjoyable. Merg tells a wonderful story of a life in photography. Merg's experiences and observations provide a most interesting and worthwhile read.

Thank you, Merg... And belated Happy Birthday wishes... And many, many more !

Best regards,

Dennis

Merg Ross
11-Jul-2017, 20:29
Merg's book is a treasure.

Not only are Merg's vision and his resulting images remarkable, the written content is most enjoyable. Merg tells a wonderful story of a life in photography. Merg's experiences and observations provide a most interesting and worthwhile read.

Thank you, Merg... And belated Happy Birthday wishes... And many, many more !

Best regards,

Dennis

Dennis, thank you very much for the kind words.

And to Jim (Becia), thanks for your comments and original post. I am most appreciative.

AtlantaTerry
11-Jul-2017, 21:34
Merg,

Are autographed copies of your book available?

Thanks.

John Kasaian
11-Jul-2017, 22:15
I've been thoroughly enjoying Merg's book!
Even though I've gone through it several times since it arrived, I keep picking it up and find myself entranced by the photographs and the engaging biography all over again.

The reproduction of the photos is exceptional---I was fortunate enough to see several of the originals at an exhibition and the impressions I took from the reproductions are amazingly faithful to the originals---that's really something special when viewing abstract subjects in a book!
Thank you, Merg!

Merg Ross
11-Jul-2017, 22:24
Merg,

Are autographed copies of your book available?

Thanks.

Yes, books are signed. For PayPal, use my email address.

Thanks for your interest.

Merg

http://www.mergross.com/book.html

Merg Ross
2-Aug-2017, 08:46
I've been thoroughly enjoying Merg's book!
Even though I've gone through it several times since it arrived, I keep picking it up and find myself entranced by the photographs and the engaging biography all over again.

The reproduction of the photos is exceptional---I was fortunate enough to see several of the originals at an exhibition and the impressions I took from the reproductions are amazingly faithful to the originals---that's really something special when viewing abstract subjects in a book!
Thank you, Merg!

Thank you, John. I recall that day we met, many moons ago.

I have received a number of comments on the quality of the reproductions. For the record, scans were made by Brooks Jensen (Lenswork Publishing) from my original silver prints. We used stochastic printing, duotone with adjusted warm gray ink to match the originals. Over several months of pre-press tweaks, and two trips to press, we got it right. Credit is due Brooks for his skill and incredible patience!

Glad you made the summer trip, hope you are busy printing.

Merg

Peter De Smidt
12-Jul-2021, 10:58
My book just arrived in the mail. It's excellent! I highly recommend anyone interested in photography to get one.

gary892
19-Jul-2021, 18:23
I received Merg's book today in the mail. Very pleased with the book's size and content. Photographs are enlightening and thought provoking.

I am tired of the "coffee table" books that are frequently pushed out. My "Coffee Table" is not large enough to hold them all.

Congratulations Merg on a high quality book.

Regards

Gary

Merg Ross
21-Jul-2021, 21:15
I received Merg's book today in the mail. Very pleased with the book's size and content. Photographs are enlightening and thought provoking.

I am tired of the "coffee table" books that are frequently pushed out. My "Coffee Table" is not large enough to hold them all.

Congratulations Merg on a high quality book.

Regards

Gary

Thank you, Gary.

The title of this thread reflects an earlier time, as the book is no longer new. However, it will be my only book, and I want to thank those who have appreciated and supported my work over the years on this forum.

Best,
Merg

Bob Wagner
14-Aug-2021, 16:50
I must add my congratulations to Merg Ross for his book, and my recommendation that anyone who hasn't seen it to get a copy. Such an interesting story spanning an eventful career along with wonderful photographs. Mine came signed with a gracious note that added to my appreciation and regard for Mr. Ross and the book.

All the best to you Merg,
BW

Merg Ross
17-Aug-2021, 20:41
I must add my congratulations to Merg Ross for his book, and my recommendation that anyone who hasn't seen it to get a copy. Such an interesting story spanning an eventful career along with wonderful photographs. Mine came signed with a gracious note that added to my appreciation and regard for Mr. Ross and the book.

All the best to you Merg,
BW

Thank you, Bob. Most happy to hear that you enjoyed the book.

All the best,
Merg

jmdavis
24-Aug-2021, 09:18
I received my copy yesterday, and gave it a first reading last night. I very much enjoy the stories and the printing quality of the photos is excellent in my opinion.

Thanks again

Michael Graves
24-Aug-2021, 09:48
It's a gorgeous book. And I greatly appreciated the individualized signature.