PDA

View Full Version : Zone VI Ultralight

Gary K. Heppell
23-Sep-1999, 22:09
Has anyone tried the new Zone VI Ultralight? I've read of some disappointment wi th its predecessor. Please note, I want a field camera, I'm a beginner at large format, and I don't want to spend big bucks.

Thanks for your help.

Richard S. Ross
24-Sep-1999, 13:18
If weight is an issue, hence your interest in this camera, and you don't want to spend big bucks ($1500 is getting in to big bucks by most measures), why not look at the smaller wood fields such as Wista, Tachihara, or the Horseman Woodman. All are available new for < $1000 and under four pounds. I just started in LF, and settled on the Wista for exactly those reasons. My primary concern was weight as I am using this camera mostly for backpackingl. Build quality was next. The Wista is definitely more solid than the other two based on my examinations at various stores.

Best of luck.

Darron Spohn
24-Sep-1999, 15:10
The Zone VI Ultralight is a completely new design, done in- house by Calumet. It is not related to the old Zone VI camera. I was at a workshop a few months ago and one of Calumet's reps had the Ultralight with him. If you're looking for a wood camera this one is worth the money.

However, because you're new to LF and budget is a concern, why not shop around for a used camera? You can save big bucks, invest in lenses, and upgrade to a new camera in a few years. Just a thought (and the way I'm going).

Speed Graphics, Super Graphics, and the like are easy to find in excellent condition and hold their value well. You'll give up some movements and gain some weight, but the savings could be worthwhile.