PDA

View Full Version : ilford 500h multigrade head cooling fan question

zsolt
26-May-2017, 01:41
Greetings

i have an Ilford 500H head ,really happy with it,but if i turn it on it sounds like a helicopter is about to take off...everything is so quiet in the darkroom and than brrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu:)was wondering if anybody here who uses it as well could make it somehow more quiet,or replace the fan...dont know..just got to a point where if i could, i would make something..just dont know if lets say a computer fan would be sufficient here

any idea-experience welcome Gentleman
Thanks!

Leigh
26-May-2017, 01:50
I have the same Ilford head. It's quite quiet.

Those are called "muffin" fans here, perhaps different terminology in Europe.
In any case, they're very common in electronic equipment.

Most likely your fan bearings are shot, requiring replacement of the fan.
I suggest contacting Ilford for a replacement.

The common products are not designed to operate in a high temperature environment.
Those in the Ilford head might be special products. I would not substitute standard ones.

- Leigh

zsolt
26-May-2017, 02:42
I have the same Ilford head. It's quite quiet.

Those are called "muffin" fans here, perhaps different terminology in Europe.
In any case, they're very common in electronic equipment.

Most likely your fan bearings are shot, requiring replacement of the fan.
I suggest contacting Ilford for a replacement.

The common products are not designed to operate in a high temperature environment.
Those in the Ilford head might be special products. I would not substitute standard ones.

- Leigh

Thanks for the quick answer Leigh!

forgot to mention,but i have 2 heads actually..2x 500H,and both does the same "helicopter sound"
so i think-thought that this is the sound it gives..maybe both has the bearing you mentioned above shot than
is it possible?is it a common "problem" what i experience?
Zsolt

mpirie
26-May-2017, 05:04
You need to check there isn't anything touching the blades of the fan too.

One option (depending how capable you feel) is to open up the head and apply some light oil to the top and bottom bearings. If it quietens down the noise, then you know it's the bearings.

Another option could be to spray some electrical cleaner into the bearings.

If you can't find replacement fans, you could arrange some ducting and fans outside the head to allow cooling. I'd suggest you make sure the air is sucked out of the head and not blown in to avoid dust.

Mike

Jac@stafford.net
26-May-2017, 05:29
The fan is probably made by EBMPAPST of Germany. It is a centrifugal exhaust type. Take measurements (height, width, depth). Their general site is http://www.ebmpapst.us

I saved this page some time ago: http://www.ebmpapst.us/en/products/compact_fans/centrifugal_compact_fans/radial_compact_fans.php

Search airflow from 47 to 100
AC power
60 Mhz

That should narrow your search down to half a dozen units.
If you do not find an exact match, then the fan was built on contract,
so some improvisation is necessary.

I have the same head and am prompted by your post to take a
good look through it soon.

zsolt
26-May-2017, 07:13
You need to check there isn't anything touching the blades of the fan too.

One option (depending how capable you feel) is to open up the head and apply some light oil to the top and bottom bearings. If it quietens down the noise, then you know it's the bearings.

Another option could be to spray some electrical cleaner into the bearings.

If you can't find replacement fans, you could arrange some ducting and fans outside the head to allow cooling. I'd suggest you make sure the air is sucked out of the head and not blown in to avoid dust.

Mike

Good ideas here Mike!Thanks!
nothing is touching the blades,im sure,yes,i took it apart before,actually had to:)
anyways..i would like to give this oil or electric cleaner idea a try..but i have nothing else than olive oil:)
i have something like this wd-40,what we use for rusty screws and metal stuff to clean that scroops,would that worth a try?or should it be really this electrical cleaner that you mention?i wait for your answer and try it;)

Zsolt

zsolt
26-May-2017, 07:20
The fan is probably made by EBMPAPST of Germany. It is a centrifugal exhaust type. Take measurements (height, width, depth). Their general site is http://www.ebmpapst.us

I saved this page some time ago: http://www.ebmpapst.us/en/products/compact_fans/centrifugal_compact_fans/radial_compact_fans.php

Search airflow from 47 to 100
AC power
60 Mhz

That should narrow your search down to half a dozen units.
If you do not find an exact match, then the fan was built on contract,
so some improvisation is necessary.

I have the same head and am prompted by your post to take a
good look through it soon.

Thanks a Lot Jac!for the numbers,and the link too!
if the experiment from the idea of Mike shows that its the bearning that makes the noise than i will buy 2 in an eyeblink in the size i need..
but if its not the bearing,than i might just become more sensitive to the fan noise..not sure
but now i have 2 path to walk..Thanks Guys!
Zsolt

mpirie
26-May-2017, 14:20
I wouldn't use olive oil, it'll break down and gum up the bearings.

WD40 will work at a push but only for a short time, and only to show whether it's the bearings or not.

Don't think that WD40 will work forever more, it won't ....... if the bearings go quiet, then time to replace the motors.

Mike

Jac@stafford.net
26-May-2017, 14:50
I wouldn't use olive oil, it'll break down and gum up the bearings.

WD40 will work at a push but only for a short time, and only to show whether it's the bearings or not.

In my modest experience, WD40 is not a lubricant, however it is pretty good for purging water (including salt water) from electronics ... oh and for removing baked on gasoline deposits from cylinders and heads, but that takes a long soaking time, like months.

Luis-F-S
26-May-2017, 15:52
I bought several fans for my DeVere 5108 off the auction site very reasonably. Got the model # off the fan and did a search. Have 4 spares now. L

George Richards
26-May-2017, 21:35
Here's a link to one version of the fan, there is one with ball bearings and another with a bronze bearing. I don't know which one is used. Available for about $80 from most electronic parts sellers such as Newark.com.

WS40 is not a good lubricant, it dries out and becomes sticky.

http://img.ebmpapst.com/products/datasheets/AC-centrifugal-fan-RL901806-ENU.pdf?_ga=1.244835973.1484169566.1478308582

mpirie
27-May-2017, 03:55
I believe the "WD" in WD40 stands for Water Dispersant, so albeit it has some lubricating qualities, it's not a long term solution.

Mike

Leigh
27-May-2017, 14:06
I believe the "WD" in WD40 stands for Water Dispersant, so albeit it has some lubricating qualities, it's not a long term solution.
Water Displacement... but close enough. :cool:

- Leigh

Jac@stafford.net
27-May-2017, 14:16
Water Displacement... but close enough. :cool:

Thanks, Leigh.

Driving East on RT 80 at night between no-wheres. across the Iowa plains, 1979, in a driving North blizzard with my mate and daughter, my Subaru shuddered and stopped dead, and I coasted to the breakdown lane. My mate never understood why I carried a tool bag, and had no clue when I retrieved it, lifted the bonnet, and in the blast of snow I removed he distributor cap covered with snow and flooded the distributor with WD40. We were off and away in ten minutes to a motel. She never, ever, understood the alternative if I had not prepared. For that and similar reasons she is my EX.

zsolt
27-May-2017, 23:08
Thanks Guys for the ideas..

yesterday my pc crashed...yaay..
but anyway..i took apart the 2nd head i have and dont use at the moment,i did a very brief wd-40.ing..and after found some kugellagerfett(alias bearinggrease)
and it did the job..it became more quiet,so the 2nd head needs a fan replacement.
will take the other apart next week,and if it has the same issue than i will order 2 fans..otherwise just 1
took some pictures when i took it apart,it was pretty dirty..will show it later if my girlfriend wakes up,its in her phone,but i dont know how to copy them to the pc..
anyway..
Thanks Folks!
Zsolt

zsolt
28-May-2017, 03:36
got the pics from the phone,yes,it was really dirty..

and the solution:

from now on i will do this more often,thats for sure..now that i know that it can look like this after a while.
next week i take the other apart too,and see if i need 1 or 2 fan to order.
Thanks everyone!
have a great one!
Zsolt