PDA

View Full Version : Intrepid 8x10 Camera

Daniel.E
25-May-2017, 07:29
Already reached its goal!! Looks very interesting and they'll be making their own 8x10 film holders.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1436129614/intrepid-8x10-camera-an-affordable-large-format-ca

ghostcount
25-May-2017, 08:05
Already reached its goal!!

After 10 minutes of announcement. Early bird is gone.

AuditorOne
25-May-2017, 08:46
As far as I am concerned these guys are golden right now. My original Intrepid 4x5 works wonderfully and I suspect that this 8x10 will as well. I ordered mine with the reducing back so I can use my New55 film as well.

Peter De Smidt
25-May-2017, 08:48
I wish them well, and it's great to see that people are excited about 8x10!

Gregg Obst
25-May-2017, 11:02
I also ordered mine with the 4x5 reducing back. They have been completely responsive to requests for the development of a 4x5 back and lens board adapters leading up to the Kickstarter and I love backing a company who backs my hobbies no matter how niche the rest of the photography world deems them to be.

Sweep
25-May-2017, 12:39
Weird situation where the cheapest 10x8 camera is Made in England and more 'premium' products, such as Shen Hao, are Made in China.
I was going to write 'good luck' to them but they obviously have found a niche to exploit so it is probably just good business.
Hopefully with this new found enthusiasm for 10x8 there will be an increased pressure for the return of Velvia 50 to USA and Europe and it should be a nice boost for the likes of Ilford too.
On the downside there will be more people fishing from the pool of available lenses, which will no doubt push prices up, and the second hand prices of Sekonic l-508/558/758 will likely rise also.

Daniel.E
25-May-2017, 12:48
On the downside there will be more people fishing from the pool of available lenses, which will no doubt push prices up, and the second hand prices of Sekonic l-508/558/758 will likely rise also.

Yes that's a good point... or the already expensive Polaroid processors, not to mention the holders. I'm awfully tempted to support the project but I already have enough with my 4x5 and a workflow that suits me well. Oh and where am I going to find an 8x10 enlarger :confused: ?

locutus
25-May-2017, 13:22
at 480GBP for the camera they have definitely hit the 'sweet spot' of cheap and 'cheapness'.

I'll spend this week thinking long and hard if i really want to go down the 8x10 road for contact printing portraits......

Alan9940
25-May-2017, 13:23
I need another camera like a new hole in my head, but I just supported this project! ;) Since 8x10 is my favorite format and I ain't gettin' any younger (64 years young now), I just couldn't resist this size camera at 4.8 lbs! I hope the final product is as good as what I've read about their 4x5. Nice to support an innovative company, too.

Fred L
25-May-2017, 17:29
<5 lbs is ridiculous ! wonder what wood is used in the ply ? like others, sooo tempted to back this but also very curious about their film holders. Wish they would post more photos of the 8x10 holders cuz I need more holders like the desert needs more sand ;)

It's also heartening to see a company keeping things simple and not go overboard with the CAD designs

letchhausen
25-May-2017, 17:45
I signed up for one as well. Though I've got my hands full with 4x5 etc I mainly shoot color. I'm interested in 8x10 to shoot B&W and contact print at home with Lodima paper. Though the lens range was shorter than I would like (my 350mm and 450mm spend the most time on my Ebony) I felt like I wouldn't be shooting the same things I do with 4x5. Instead I would focus on different types of images that would have a life as 8x10 prints. Besides being in the price range that I would like, most important is that it's light. I've looked at the C1 over the years and hemmed and hawed over the weight, realizing I wouldn't use it. I figure if I really like 8x10 I can offload the Intrepid in the future to get something that will take longer lenses. But it might be perfectly fine being the camera for the specific things that I use it for. What's also exciting is nearly 200 8x10's sold in one day. That's pretty incredible.

Alan9940
25-May-2017, 18:32
I figure if I really like 8x10 I can offload the Intrepid in the future to get something that will take longer lenses.

Just curious... What do you call long lenses? According to the specs on the Kickstarter page, the min/max bellows extension is 40 - 600mm. Don't know about you, but I'd consider 600mm as long as I'd ever wish to go with 8x10. For fact, I don't even own one. The longest lens I've ever used in 35+ years of shooting 8x10 is 480mm; and, I hardly ever use that!

Alan9940
25-May-2017, 18:36
OMG, I just visited the Kickstarter page and they sold 30 cameras since I placed my order a few hours ago! That's incredible!! Sure hope the film manufacturers stand up and take notice of this level of interest...

Toulcaz31
26-May-2017, 01:34
In summary :

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170526/c63e62496e0183d05e0c69507bd73ee5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

locutus
26-May-2017, 01:48
Thank you for that overview, very informative.

Peter De Smidt
26-May-2017, 08:35
Of those, the Bellatrix looks the most interesting to me. My concern would be the durability and rigidity of the material.

Fred L
26-May-2017, 11:19
I think it was here iirc, but someone had some info on the material used in the one of the new cameras out there and its lifespan, and it wasn't encouraging. Everyone is 3D printing but does a camera made this way really solve any problems that may have existed ?

Plywood is a known material and I believe has very good dimensional stability.

AuditorOne
26-May-2017, 12:20
This is quite amazing really. In just a very few days this project is now over 607% funded with 200+ backers.

I wonder how this will effect the price of used 8x10 cameras. The price of this camera new, along with the 4x5 reducing back (I would also like to see one for 5x7), and a couple film holders is still less then many used cameras currently posted on e-bay.

These boys may have just cornered the market for 8x10 cameras for the next year or so.

Alan9940
26-May-2017, 13:36
Photography is such a gain/lose endeavor! A couple of days ago we see the announcement of a very affordable, lightweight 8x10; today, we hear that LF Acros is nearing extinction. Oh, well. Guess I'll shoot more Foma 100! :)

letchhausen
26-May-2017, 23:56
Just curious... What do you call long lenses? According to the specs on the Kickstarter page, the min/max bellows extension is 40 - 600mm. Don't know about you, but I'd consider 600mm as long as I'd ever wish to go with 8x10. For fact, I don't even own one. The longest lens I've ever used in 35+ years of shooting 8x10 is 480mm; and, I hardly ever use that!

I've never shot 8x10 so I don't know that context. In 4x5 I mainly use my 350mm and my 450mm most often and there are times I wish I had the bellows draw to use a 600mm on 4x5. The Ritter (812mm) and Canham (914mm) cameras have longer bellows than the Intrepid. For me 135mm is what I call wide angle and is the shortest lens I own. I rarely use it.

But like I said, the Intrepid seems like a good place to start.

Peter De Smidt
27-May-2017, 08:57
Remember, too, that using a lens at maximum extension on many 8x10s isn't all that much fun.

mdarnton
27-May-2017, 09:25
I'm in. This seems like a no-brainer. Right now I'm using an Ansco view that's 2X thicker, folded, and 3X heavier, but otherwise very similar. The Ansco has back swing, but no front; the Intrepid is opposite. Otherwise it's a wash. I never take the Ansco anywhere because it's too much work, but this one. . . I was initially wary, but then saw someone else's 4x5, and it's a very nice camera, smartly designed. My favorite focal length is around 14", so it's perfect for that.

The only turn-off for me is the bare plywood look, but that's a small objection. When I get mine, maybe we will see how well black india ink sticks. :-) That's all it needs to be perfect.

MAubrey
27-May-2017, 09:34
The only turn-off for me is the bare plywood look, but that's a small objection. When I get mine, maybe we will see how well black india ink sticks. :-) That's all it needs to be perfect.
The camera has a wax layer, so the question would be how the ink interacts with it.

mdarnton
27-May-2017, 09:53
I'm sure it won't stick. What I was thinking was take the base and try to clean off the wax with scraper and solvents, then color that, maybe more if I could reach it safely. Panda camera. This is not much different from what I do daily at work, except I don't have to work around bellows. :-)

I make my lens boards of the same baltic birch, and a coat or two of india ink isn't a fine finish but it looks good enough, then a thin varnish over that, and. . . not too bad.

It's probably more work than it's worth. Too bad they don't sell the camera parts as a kit, unfinished with the bellows detached.

axs810
27-May-2017, 20:57
Just amazed at the kickstarter results so far...and I'm surprised that the highest package is cheaper than most 4x5 field cameras on eBay but they give you a full arsenal for LF shooting.

I wasn't really into the intrepid at first but after seeing their last photo on instagram (Easy carry photo) I think I'm definitely going to back them now. Hard part will be the wait ;)

HoodedOne
28-May-2017, 01:26
It's probably more work than it's worth. Too bad they don't sell the camera parts as a kit, unfinished with the bellows detached.

Did you ask them?

interneg
28-May-2017, 02:46
Having handled one of the current production 4x5's, I think the 8x10 will be an extremely impressive camera for the price point. That said, it is all too easy to get the front standard to swivel around the single bolt attaching it to the base plate, even if the bolt is done up as tightly as possible - and as it seems the 8x10 will use the same means of attachment, the greater torque of a much larger front standard will, I suspect, make it much easier to knock the whole thing out of true. Sorting that problem properly would lift the camera from pretty good to exceptionally good.

On the other hand, I prefer non-folding cameras with even fewer movements, so 8x10 for me is a choice of custom made, relatively expensive & a waiting list, or sitting down & designing one myself. Above all else, Intrepid have shown that making a remarkably capable LF camera is surprisingly readily achievable (& affordable) with modern CNC technology.

Randy
28-May-2017, 13:27
In a perfect world, I could purchase both the 4X5 and 8X10 versions, but in an even more perfect world, both would have rear tilt / swings - am I the only LF user who never uses front movements...?

xtmevolution
29-May-2017, 00:07
i'm actually hope they will make 4x5 holder but size of 8x10, so there is no need to have additional back for 4x5, from another thread it was mention the 4x5 back for 8x10 might be hard to use because hard to pull the darkslide out from the holder because it is too close to the board.

cp_photo
2-Sep-2017, 10:15
I hope that some one will update this thread with an in-hand report on this new camera. I see that they opened up ordering of the 8x10 on their web site.

Graham Patterson
2-Sep-2017, 17:01
Intrepid should be shipping at the end of September to end of October for the Kickstarter group, I believe. So I am sure there will be a lot of experiences posted around that time. It will be interesting to see how many new owners are experienced with 5x4 or larger.

jon.oman
19-Sep-2017, 17:32
Well, I guess I've found my next 8x10! I just need to fill the piggy bank first.....

dasBlute
28-Sep-2017, 21:11
jonesing... I've 8x10 film, holders and lenses stacking up like cordwood around here...
if these don't start shipping soon, I'm gonna have to start buying more lodima and amidol.... :)

cp_photo
30-Sep-2017, 13:07
They posted an update today 9/30 on the Kickstarter page, from which it sounds like the earliest they will ship will be mid October (or later).
I'm still very interested to hear about the camera from an actual user rather than the company itself.

mdarnton
30-Sep-2017, 13:29
At 1/3 of what my Ansco view weighs, half the thickness when folded, and as cheap as it is, it will have to be pretty bad before I'm unhappy. :-) I would have liked to have back swings, but I will live without them.

Tim V
2-Nov-2017, 21:46
Has anyone received their Intrepid 8x10" camera yet? Can anyone post a review of sorts?

dasBlute
2-Nov-2017, 23:24
I do not think they have started shipping yet... last message said end of Oct. I'm patient :)

Tim V
3-Nov-2017, 02:03
THanks for the update. For some reason I thought I'd seen a post that they'd started shipping to early backers of the Kickstarter campaign. I'm thinking of it as a cheap entry point into 8x10", with an eye to upgrade to either 11x14" or a more solid 8x10" platform later... After the initial hype, what are people thinking of this new Intrepid? Other than rear swing, what's it really missing? Rigidity and hard wearing components?

Simon B
4-Jan-2018, 10:16
I have mine. Arrived 20th Dec, but I was one of the early backers. Appears pretty well-made, the only gripe I have is that the back doesn't rotate in the way illustrated on the prototype, but instead you have to remove a couple of flat-head knurled bolts and lift the back out & rotate 90deg then screw the bolts back.

https://flic.kr/p/EyBrhL

Simon

Fred L
4-Jan-2018, 13:37
let us know when you've had a chance to put it through its paces. btw, what backer # were you, if I may ask ?

Robert Brazile
5-Jan-2018, 05:56
Mine also arrived Dec 20. I was backer 27. I'm finding it about like the 4x5, light, flexible, but also a bit flexy. Totally usable for my needs. The back rotation is a bit clunky, as Simon indicated, but easy enough.

Simon B
11-Jan-2018, 08:13
Fred L - I was Backer #19

Simon

Fred L
11-Jan-2018, 15:14
I'm a long way to go but am under 200. Hope the back tab issue has been fixed otherwise I'm going to have to hack the back, ad probably other things ;)