PDA

View Full Version : Copal 1 to 0 adapter

Atracksler
19-May-2017, 16:52
Can anyone recommend a copal 1 to 0 adapter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan Fromm
19-May-2017, 17:26
Excuse me, but what are you looking for?

An adapter that will let you mount a #0 on a board drilled for #1? They're on eBay, B&H has them.

An adapter that will let you mount cells designed to fit a #1 in a #0. Impossible.

An adapter that will let you mount cells designed to fit a #0 in a #1? Custom item, ask skgrimes.com for an estimate.

xkaes
19-May-2017, 18:12
I agree. You need to clarify. Adapters are often used to put lenses designed for a smaller shutter into a larger shutter. Right now, and regularly, these are on EBAY. Do a seach for "copal shutter adapter". Right now you will find adapters to put 00 lenses on a #0 shutter, #00 lenses on a #1 shutter, and #0 lenses on a #1 shutter. You can also find, occasionally, other adapters for more unusual situations, such as putting a Leica mount lens or T-mount lens on a #1 or #3 shutter. BUT using ANY adapter will likely render the shutter's f-stop scale difficult to use -- or meaningless.

Leigh
19-May-2017, 18:21
The thickness of the Copal #0 and #1 shutters are exactly the same: 20mm +/- 0.025mm.
So lens elements will have the same spacing if moved between them with zero-thickness adapters.

If the adapter has any thickness at all, you can't do it.

- Leigh

Dan Fromm
20-May-2017, 05:41
I agree. You need to clarify. Adapters are often used to put lenses designed for a smaller shutter into a larger shutter. Right now, and regularly, these are on EBAY. Do a seach for "copal shutter adapter". Right now you will find adapters to put 00 lenses on a #0 shutter, #00 lenses on a #1 shutter, and #0 lenses on a #1 shutter. You can also find, occasionally, other adapters for more unusual situations, such as putting a Leica mount lens or T-mount lens on a #1 or #3 shutter. BUT using ANY adapter will likely render the shutter's f-stop scale difficult to use -- or meaningless.

Joe, I just did the search you suggested. I found no (0) adapters that will allow mounting cells made to fit in a smaller shutter in a larger shutter.

Oh, and by the way, mounting cells made to fit a #00 shutter in a #1 shutter isn't a trivial exercise. The #00 shutter's tube length is 16 mm, the #1's is 20 mm.

You may be thinking of front mounting. What the OP has in mind is far from clear.

xkaes
20-May-2017, 06:04
You're right on all points. I was thinking of front mounting. I have adapters to put 39mm (enlarger), 43mm (and up), as well as T-mount, Minolta SR, and RMS (microscope) lenses on the front of #1 and #3s shutters.

Here is the seller's store. Some interesting possibilities:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/procameras_pt/m.html?item=322499648560&hash=item4b167a1c30%3Ag%3AZvQAAMXQiw5RXvia&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Pfsor
20-May-2017, 06:14
Guys, you need to calm down. There isn't any adapter that would allow mounting lens cells from Copal 1 to Copal 0 shutter. It doesn't exist for multiple reasons - the aperture scale would need to be changed too and lenses were sold with their corresponding shutters with no need to bless them for another shutter type. Lens manufacturers are not completely stupid either, yet another reason. Just my grain of knowledge.

Dan Fromm
20-May-2017, 06:29
Guys, you need to calm down. There isn't any adapter that would allow mounting lens cells from Copal 0 to Copal 1 shutter. It doesn't exist for multiple reasons - the aperture scale would need to be changed too and lenses were sold with their corresponding shutters with no need to bless them for another shutter type. Lens manufacturers are not completely stupid either, yet another reason. Just my grain of knowledge.

It is physically possible. #0 and #1 shutters both have 20 mm tube lengths. What's needed is a pair of threaded bushings that will fit flush with the #1's tube and are threaded M29.5x0.5 internally. All getting them requires is paying as much as, e.g., skgrimes, will charge for turning them.

I see no reason to do this. The adapters will probably cost more than a replacement #0 in good order. Aperture scales can be made, I've had skgrimes engrave scales on lens barrels and, when that was the best way, shutters.

What I want, and can't see a good way to make work, is adapters that will let me put cells that fit a #00 in a #0 or #1. I have several lenses in #00s (47/5.6 SA, 58/5.6 Grandagon) that I'd much rather have in larger shutters. #00s, especially the 58 Grandy's SynchroCompur, are just too fiddly. And the Grandy's front cell is so large that it makes reading/setting shutter speed difficult.

Pfsor
20-May-2017, 06:37
Well, Dan, I did not state it cannot be done. You can also use your SUV to plough your garden for a new carrot season. But no SUV are made for that.
I mean, if somebody has a wild idea to use beer to make bread I will not go to my local library to look for a bread maker using beer instead of water. Maybe it's just me, using the gray matter this way. Cheers!

Atracksler
20-May-2017, 17:18
Whoa.

I have a copal 1 lens board for my cambo actus.

I want to mount a copal 0 lens in there.

Is there a recommended adapter to mount my copal 0 lens into my copal 1 lensboard?

Sorry to have stirred up so much controversy.

//ad

Dan Fromm
20-May-2017, 17:21
See post #2, first suggestion.

europanorama
14-Dec-2018, 07:12
Whoa.

I have a copal 1 lens board for my cambo actus.

I want to mount a copal 0 lens in there.

Is there a recommended adapter to mount my copal 0 lens into my copal 1 lensboard?

Sorry to have stirred up so much controversy.

//ad
I had the same idea. or similar. will use pinhole-stuff Copal 0 from shinkfoto on Copal 1-Shutter Zoneplates and Zonesieves need shutter since exposure time are short. and register must match also otherwise less sharp images.see his text. pinhole-plates less sensitive to matching register. (lens to film-distance matching diameter).
Rafcamera can make and will make for me. meanwhile i have got two cheap compur-shutters....only need now plate to hold in copal 1-lensboard.
Must enlarge Copal 1-holem on camera anyway to fit Copal 3. and then all the plates to fit compur 0 and copal 1-shutters. for special camera.
will show when ready.