PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Norma tripod head question

rajmohan-fotograf
16-May-2017, 14:27
Hi folks,
My first post here!
I am about to acquire a Sinar Norma, but don't yet have a way to mount it on my Gitzo Series 4 tripod. From the comments, it sounds like the Sinar head is the way to go - would anyone be able to share an image or two of the head, without and with the camera mounted on it (and on a tripod), so that I can get an idea of how it looks and what I should look for while shopping?
Thank you very much!
Raj

Keith Pitman
16-May-2017, 14:44
Look on Ebay for "Sinar Pan Tilt Head." There is a Chinese seller that has new knock offs that look very good. Otherwise, you will be looking at used heads.

Daniel Unkefer
16-May-2017, 15:20
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4176/34521427212_c1b3c65964_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/UAxkAU)DSC05763 (https://flic.kr/p/UAxkAU) by Nokton48 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/), on Flickr

Here's my 8x10 Norma, with wide-angle bellows, 165mm Super Angulon, Sinar Norma Shutter, Norma Pan/Tilt Head, and Foba C40 Tripod (Norma Tripod)

rajmohan-fotograf
16-May-2017, 17:31
Look on Ebay for "Sinar Pan Tilt Head." There is a Chinese seller that has new knock offs that look very good. Otherwise, you will be looking at used heads.

Thanks, Keith - I saw this, and it does look good. Do you have any experience with it? Perhaps I might be better off with a used Sinar head.

rajmohan-fotograf
16-May-2017, 17:34
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4176/34521427212_c1b3c65964_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/UAxkAU)DSC05763 (https://flic.kr/p/UAxkAU) by Nokton48 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/), on Flickr

Here's my 8x10 Norma, with wide-angle bellows, 165mm Super Angulon, Sinar Norma Shutter, Norma Pan/Tilt Head, and Foba C40 Tripod (Norma Tripod)

Thank you, Daniel. This is great. Could you please let me know how the Norma head attaches to your tripod? Do you need a 3/8 screw or clamp to fix the head to the tripod? I have a Gitzo Series 4 tripod without a center column (just a top plate with a 3/8" threaded hole).

Jeff Keller
16-May-2017, 20:06
You Gitzo should have a threaded stud in the hole. Indeed with the flat top plate it is just a bolt of the appropriate length.
jeff

Daniel Unkefer
16-May-2017, 20:57
It simply screws together. The head has a stud which orients the camera and keeps it from spinning.
I consider the Norma Head to be part of the original camera. My first choice for a tripod head.

The 3/8" female hole on the bottom of the Norma Head will fit your Manfrotto.
I use the Manfrotto sometimes myself with these heads. It will work with no downsides.

-Dan

Jerry Bodine
16-May-2017, 21:05
At the bottom of this page you'll see some "Similar Threads" that contain some pics of the head. The top surface interfaces with the rail clamp of the camera. Both have the same diameter. The earlier models of the head had two simple pins sticking up and two screw heads (180* apart). The pins were spring-mounted so they could be pushed down to the head surface for whatever reason (was never obvious to me). These pins made it easy to quickly position the hole on the bottom of the rail clamp exactly over the attaching threads on the head's screw. The two screw heads sticking up matched the locations of notches on the rail clamp, so that when the rail clamp was tightened down the rail clamp could not rotate on the head. The large handle locks "pitch" position (aircraft term for nose-up / nose-down) of the camera by activating a disk-brake type of mechanism. This mechanism is a relatively large diameter joint that contains disks of a special non-metal material for friction control. The attachments for rail clamp-to-head and for head-to-tripod should be 3/8-16 threads to insure adequate strength.

rajmohan-fotograf
17-May-2017, 02:56
Jeff, Dan and Jerry - thank you very much for the detailed information. Being a complete neophyte in the LF world, I appreciate your sharing your experience and knowledge with me.

Alan Gales
17-May-2017, 09:08
Google is your friend.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sinar+Tripod+head+images&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjpmr2ip_fTAhVrx1QKHW7FCtgQsAQIIQ&biw=1120&bih=659

I used to own a 4x5 Sinar P. I used a Ries head and the camera wanted to spin on the head. I'd have to clamp it down really tight to prevent this. As mentioned above the Sinar head prevents the camera from spinning.

Greg
17-May-2017, 10:43
At the bottom of this page you'll see some "Similar Threads" that contain some pics of the head. The top surface interfaces with the rail clamp of the camera. Both have the same diameter. The earlier models of the head had two simple pins sticking up and two screw heads (180* apart). The pins were spring-mounted so they could be pushed down to the head surface for whatever reason (was never obvious to me). These pins made it easy to quickly position the hole on the bottom of the rail clamp exactly over the attaching threads on the head's screw. The two screw heads sticking up matched the locations of notches on the rail clamp, so that when the rail clamp was tightened down the rail clamp could not rotate on the head. The large handle locks "pitch" position (aircraft term for nose-up / nose-down) of the camera by activating a disk-brake type of mechanism. This mechanism is a relatively large diameter joint that contains disks of a special non-metal material for friction control. The attachments for rail clamp-to-head and for head-to-tripod should be 3/8-16 threads to insure adequate strength.

Some variations out there... My gray Norma era rail clamp does not have 2 indentations for the pins to align with and with my black Norma tripod head, the 2 pins screw into head directly, not being spring-mounted.

rajmohan-fotograf
17-May-2017, 13:16
Google is your friend.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sinar+Tripod+head+images&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjpmr2ip_fTAhVrx1QKHW7FCtgQsAQIIQ&biw=1120&bih=659

I used to own a 4x5 Sinar P. I used a Ries head and the camera wanted to spin on the head. I'd have to clamp it down really tight to prevent this. As mentioned above the Sinar head prevents the camera from spinning.

Thank you, Alan - yes, I'm leaning more and more toward the Sinar.

rajmohan-fotograf
17-May-2017, 13:18
Some variations out there... My gray Norma era rail clamp does not have 2 indentations for the pins to align with and with my black Norma tripod head, the 2 pins screw into head directly, not being spring-mounted.

Thanks, Greg! I noticed this on the head that is currently advertised on ebay - there are 2 pins that are screwed into the head, and are flush with the surface of the head. I'll need to examine the rail clamp to see whether I need a head with the protruding pins for added security!

neil poulsen
17-May-2017, 13:59
Personally, I would want to add a Linhof quick release adapter to the head, mounting the plate to the Norma.

Greg
17-May-2017, 16:46
Personally, I would want to add a Linhof quick release adapter to the head, mounting the plate to the Norma.

Two things....

If you end up unscrewing the 2 pins, put them in a clear 35mm film plastic case at once and mark the film case. I accidentally had the 2 pins roll off the countertop. It took me almost 20 minutes to find them, they are very small. Replacement OEM (Sinar) pins, if you could even find them, I'm sure will not be cheap. I have noticed recently that those clear plastic 35mm film cases are getting harder and harder to find. Fortunately many years ago I thought twice about discarding the dozens and dozens of them that I had collected in the back of a drawer and chose to put them all in a marked box and store them on a shelf in the basement. Have given away most of them to friends for various uses but still have probably 36 of them left which should last me into the future.

On my Sinar head, I use a Kessler Kwik Release receiver mounting platform and a Kessler Crane Kwik Utility Plate when using my Chamonix 11x14. Trying to center the Sinar tripod head's mounting screw with the female counterpart under the 11x14's bed while precariously balancing the 11x14 on the head was a nightmare. With the Kessler mounting platform and their Utility Plate. mounting the camera is a dream. Plus there is a double locking mechanism in the Kessler Kwik Release receiver mounting platform. From my experience the Linhof quick release adapter is an excellent product. The Kessler is just excellent plus, plus, plus.

rajmohan-fotograf
19-May-2017, 17:19

Thank you for this suggestion, Neil - I'll look into it.

rajmohan-fotograf
19-May-2017, 17:22
Two things....

If you end up unscrewing the 2 pins, put them in a clear 35mm film plastic case at once and mark the film case. I accidentally had the 2 pins roll off the countertop. It took me almost 20 minutes to find them, they are very small. Replacement OEM (Sinar) pins, if you could even find them, I'm sure will not be cheap. I have noticed recently that those clear plastic 35mm film cases are getting harder and harder to find. Fortunately many years ago I thought twice about discarding the dozens and dozens of them that I had collected in the back of a drawer and chose to put them all in a marked box and store them on a shelf in the basement. Have given away most of them to friends for various uses but still have probably 36 of them left which should last me into the future.

On my Sinar head, I use a Kessler Kwik Release receiver mounting platform and a Kessler Crane Kwik Utility Plate when using my Chamonix 11x14. Trying to center the Sinar tripod head's mounting screw with the female counterpart under the 11x14's bed while precariously balancing the 11x14 on the head was a nightmare. With the Kessler mounting platform and their Utility Plate. mounting the camera is a dream. Plus there is a double locking mechanism in the Kessler Kwik Release receiver mounting platform. From my experience the Linhof quick release adapter is an excellent product. The Kessler is just excellent plus, plus, plus.

Hi Greg,

Sadly the head I've seen advertised does not have the screws. If I find one with them, I'll be extra careful, as you suggest.

The tips about the Kessler accessories are great - I'll have to look into these. Thank you!

Jerry Bodine
23-May-2017, 13:26

Neil - fwiw, another option would be like a number of us Norma users do: simply leave the rail clamp on the head; then it's just place the rail in and close the clamp.

neil poulsen
23-May-2017, 20:41
Thank you for this suggestion, Neil - I'll look into it.

I have a black Norma 8x10, to which I've added a Sinar F back for 4x5. (I rather like combining the Norma front standard with an F rear standard. As for "black", I believe that's the color of the most recent Sinar Norma releases.) In particular, my black clamp freely allows adjusting side to side tilt. Together with the Sinar tripod head, one obatins all three degrees of freedom.

The Linhof quick release is thin, so it keeps the camera low; yet, one still has a quick release system. Great combination.

rajmohan-fotograf
24-May-2017, 16:42
This sounds good, Neil. I may have found a workable solution, but it will take a few days for me to acquire the necessary bits and to test it out - I'll report back if and when I succeed :)