PDA

View Full Version : Black Spot

12pmc
14-May-2017, 13:37
Dear All,

I have random black spots/ blotches appearing on some of my prints. Not very big approx 2mm in dia and looking like a small ink drop on blotting paper... No particular rhyme nor reason, and on different papers. Any ideas would be most gratefully received.

Thanks
Peter

koraks
15-May-2017, 01:04
What papers and developers do you use? Is the problem limited to one particular developer? Are you mixing your own developer from raw chemicals? Have you excluded any potential sources of fogging from your darkroom?

12pmc
15-May-2017, 04:55
What papers and developers do you use? Is the problem limited to one particular developer? Are you mixing your own developer from raw chemicals? Have you excluded any potential sources of fogging from your darkroom?

Koraks,

The papers are Ilford FB warmtone and Ilford Art FB , Dev is Tetnal Eukobrom no raw chemicals, this is only Dev I use. My darkroom is full light tight and safe lights tested and ok. So mystery, it may come from some contamination but I have no clue how to find out.

Thanks for your questions
Peter

koraks
15-May-2017, 05:09
That's very odd indeed! Maybe switch temporarily to another developer to see if the problem goes away. Another potential cause would be pinholes in the bags the paper is stored in; I can imagine this kind of defect could cause the kind of spots you're describing. But the problem doesn't ring a particular bell with me!

alexmuir
15-May-2017, 05:42
I suppose you will have checked already, but do the spots relate to any sort of mark on the negatives? If not, do they appear during processing of the prints, or sometime after they are fixed, washed and dried?
Alex

12pmc
15-May-2017, 12:33
I suppose you will have checked already, but do the spots relate to any sort of mark on the negatives? If not, do they appear during processing of the prints, or sometime after they are fixed, washed and dried?
Alex

Alexmuir, no corresponding negative defects. The spots appear sometime after processing prints.
Peter

alexmuir
15-May-2017, 14:28
Sometimes staining can occur after the print is finished if there was a problem with fixing, or washing the print. It could also be some contamination due to atmospheric conditions. I once had a problem with some Ilford FB paper I had removed from its packing and stored in a paper safe in my darkroom. It was stained as a result of changes in temperature and humidity. I now store my paper in its original packaging. I hope you find a solution.
Alex.