PDA

View Full Version : Traveling by Air with a Tripod

Robert Kalman
13-May-2017, 20:46
When I fly, I pack my Reis wooden tripod into a Lightware rolling stand bag. This is what it looks like https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/248767-REG/Lightware_RC1038_RC1038_Rolling_Stand_Bag.html. My film holders, a few tools (screwdrivers, a Leatherman, a spanner wrench) and my film tent also ride in the bag.

TSA always opens the bag before putting it into the hold, probably because they see the legs' spikes on the Xray. (I know that they open it because they insert a leaflet that informs me that they've opened it). They invariably mess up my neatly arranged stuff, and they rarely zip the bag up properly. Also, at least twice, one of the tripod legs has emerged with a crack in the wood, because the bag gets mishandled.

So, I'm wondering if I should just send the tripod into the hold by itself, without being in a bag. What do you think?

How do you travel with a tripod when you fly?

Thanks. Robert

B.S.Kumar
13-May-2017, 23:29
Just an idea - how about replacing a section of the bag with a heavy duty transparent plastic so that TSA can see what's inside without having to open it? And keep everything else in their own individual bags so that at least they're not scattered around.

Kumar

Luis-F-S
14-May-2017, 05:17
They will open it regardless just live with it

Christopher Barrett
14-May-2017, 05:39
I expect that a bare tripod will incur damage much faster than one in a bag. My Gitzos have been flying in this bag (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31199-REG/Lightware_C6037_C6037_Flip_Lid_Cargo.html) for a couple decades. It's very simple, so easy for the TSA idiots to close it back up. I've never had anything in it damaged, poking out or really even out of place for that matter.

Good Luck,
CB

xkaes
14-May-2017, 06:01
Another option -- depending on your travel plans -- would be to ship it ahead of time, through other means, ex. FEDEX, UPS, USPS, DHL, etc. Depending on the weight, etc, I've found it often cheaper to ship separately -- and with less hassle.

John Kasaian
14-May-2017, 07:43
I have a rigid black colored shipping tube that I think was used to ship blue prints(?) The cap on one end buckles on. It holds my Ries with the head creatively configured. No zippers.

jp
14-May-2017, 08:03
Ship it ahead if possible like xkaes suggests.

faberryman
14-May-2017, 08:07
I just carry on my tripod strapped to my backpack and no one from the TSA checkers to the flight attendants have ever said anything. It's not as big as a Ries though.

Mike Bates
14-May-2017, 09:18
The rolling stand bag looks to TSA like a travelling golf club bag, but the contents aren't golf clubs. So they open it to see what's up.

According to the B&H sale page, "The RC1038 Stand Bag has a rigid, interior back plate for stability." You might be able to permanently attach a couple of nylon web straps to the rigid back plate to firmly secure the tripod to the inside of the bag.

Robert Kalman
14-May-2017, 11:27
The rolling stand bag looks to TSA like a travelling golf club bag, but the contents aren't golf clubs. So they open it to see what's up.

According to the B&H sale page, "The RC1038 Stand Bag has a rigid, interior back plate for stability." You might be able to permanently attach a couple of nylon web straps to the rigid back plate to firmly secure the tripod to the inside of the bag.

Actually, the bag has a set of interior straps. They hold the tripod in place, but that hasn't prevented some damage. But thanks for thinking of it!

Robert Kalman
14-May-2017, 11:28
Lots of thoughtful suggestions. Really appreciate all of your comments!

Thanks!

George Hart
14-May-2017, 13:14
I use the same Lightware bag as Christopher Barrett. I have a small lock to join the zip fasteners together, so it can't be undone for inspection. I have never had any trouble with it through customs, but maybe that's because my Gitzo 1325 tripod doesn't have spikes. In addition, there's plenty of room in the bag for some shirts, or dirty linen on the way back!

Jac@stafford.net
14-May-2017, 13:32
[...] In addition, there's plenty of room in the bag for some shirts, or dirty linen on the way back!

Can you believe this product? http://www.unfinishedman.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Brief-Safe-Underwear.jpg

Bob Salomon
14-May-2017, 14:13
I use the same Lightware bag as Christopher Barrett. I have a small lock to join the zip fasteners together, so it can't be undone for inspection. I have never had any trouble with it through customs, but maybe that's because my Gitzo 1325 tripod doesn't have spikes. In addition, there's plenty of room in the bag for some shirts, or dirty linen on the way back!
TSA lock? If not they can easily open or break your lock or pry open the zipper if they want to visually see what is in your bag.