PDA

View Full Version : Prescott Area?

profvandegraf
12-May-2017, 15:57
I am traveling to Prescott AZ in mid June, looking for ideas for short jaunts off the beaten path to shoot with my 8x10. I will have access to a car but won't have a lot of time to spend driving too far. Any ideas?

Thanks

bloodhoundbob
12-May-2017, 20:48
I am traveling to Prescott AZ in mid June, looking for ideas for short jaunts off the beaten path to shoot with my 8x10. I will have access to a car but won't have a lot of time to spend driving too far. Any ideas?

Thanks

Downtown Prescott has historic Whiskey Row and Watson Lake with rock formations is much photographed. A short drive over Mingus Mountain takes you to historic and much photographed Jerome. Of course, Sedona with the red rocks is less than an hour away. These are just off the top of my head, so locals can give you other options. Good shooting!

Alan9940
12-May-2017, 20:53
I definitely wouldn't miss the Granite Dells area. Enjoy your trip!

Sal Santamaura
12-May-2017, 21:57
...I will have access to a car but won't have a lot of time to spend driving too far. Any ideas?...What's "too far?" It's a mere 2 hours 20 minutes from there to Grand Canyon National Park's south rim. I'd not hesitate to recommend you make the effort, especially if you've never been to the park before. There's a good chance monsoonal atmospheric churning will afford excellent photographic opportunities at that time of year.

bloodhoundbob
12-May-2017, 22:00
I definitely wouldn't miss the Granite Dells area. Enjoy your trip!

Thank you for seconding Watson Lake. Very scenic area, indeed.

Kinografx
12-May-2017, 22:40
Just as an fyi, there's a junk store in the antique row in downtown Prescott that has a nice Burke & James 8x10 package (dont remember the lens), it's been sitting there for at least a couple years and I think they had about a $4-500 price tag on it. And also the hike up Thumb Butte is pretty nice!

profvandegraf
13-May-2017, 15:09
Hour or so max drivetime. Plan on heading out early getting back by lunch, several days while visiting my parents. Although maybe Grand Canyon is in the cards hmmm, it would be a shame to get so close and not go the extra miles.

bloodhoundbob
13-May-2017, 15:29
Hour or so max drivetime. Plan on heading out early getting back by lunch, several days while visiting my parents. Although maybe Grand Canyon is in the cards hmmm, it would be a shame to get so close and not go the extra miles.

Granite Dells at Watson Lake is only about four miles from downtown. Jerome and Sedona are within your one hour parameter. As Sal suggested, Grand Canyon is well worth it if you can get there.

DavidFisk
24-May-2017, 19:42
Slightly more than an hour away is Sedona. Get up really early and you can be back by lunch.

bloodhoundbob
24-May-2017, 20:09
Granite Dells at Watson Lake is only about four miles from downtown. Jerome and Sedona are within your one hour parameter. As Sal suggested, Grand Canyon is well worth it if you can get there.

I forgot to mention that if you do go to Sedona, be sure and drive up to the airport, which IMO has the best views in the area.

Jim Andrada
27-May-2017, 22:25
Some of the best red rock views are visible from the Enchantment resort. Tight security, guests only, you can't get in - UNLESS you call ahead and make a lunch reservation. As long as you have a reservation they'll check your name and wave you through. And there are good shots from the restaurant's outdoor balcony.

And they'll check that you actually turn up at the restaurant within a few minutes of driving in - some of their accommodations go for $1500 or so a night and some guests stay for a long time.

DolphinDan
1-Jun-2017, 16:29
If you can make it in the afternoon, the following places have nice sunset views:

1. Jerome: the Grand Hotel

Coming from Prescott on highway 89 (might be 89A) going north, you will turn left on a narrow road that parallels 89/89A as you come into Jerome. Drive all of the way to the end of this narrow road, and you will see the hotel. Stay for dinner at the Asylum restaurant in the hotel; great food and views.

2. Sedona: Upper Red Rock Loop Road

the 2 better ways to get to Sedona-

highway 89/89A into Cottonwood. Then turn right onto highway 89A and drive straight to Sedona.

highway 69 which turns into 169 and on to I-17 north, get off at Exit 287 and turn left onto highway 260. Drive 260 into Cottonwood, then turn right onto highway 89A and drive straight to Sedona.

Both routes take about the same time. You arrive from the west into Sedona. At the Red Rock High School on the right, you will see a traffic light. Turn right at the traffic light, that is upper red rock loop road. Several scenic views from that road, especially at sunset when the setting sun paints the rocks even redder/warmer.

Note that Google or Apple maps might tell you to drive I-17 north to Highway 179. You have to drive through several roundabouts to get to Sedona that way. And during tourist season (which is right now, especially on the weekends) 179 is very crowded with folks driving up from Phoenix. Only reason to come that way is to photograph Cathedral Rock from Baby Bell Rock, and that is only a good photo at sunset or on a cloudy day.

+1 on Enchantment Resort like Jim says. Again, really pretty afternoon/evening views if you sit in the restaurants or go up on the roof after eating.

Hope this helps.

Namaste
Daniel