PDA

View Full Version : Arca Swiss (Oschwald era) Cutting Rail making a telescopic rail

Ted Baker
12-May-2017, 13:24
I have an old Arca Swiss Model A (Oschwald Era) camera, I just have the plain 40cm rail without the bracket.

I came across across an article where a user had modified their camera by cutting the rail 13/27cm. The 13cm rail is long enough to store the camera, and the two rails sit on the bracket.

What type of rail and bracket does this old camera use?

Anyone else done something similar? Or is there a part from the more modern cameras that will achieve this.

The main goal is condense the camera to a minimum size for transport.

Rod Klukas
13-May-2017, 08:51
I have an old Arca Swiss Model A (Oschwald Era) camera, I just have the plain 40cm rail without the bracket.

I came across across an article where a user had modified their camera by cutting the rail 13/27cm. The 13cm rail is long enough to store the camera, and the two rails sit on the bracket.

What type of rail and bracket does this old camera use?

Anyone else done something similar? Or is there a part from the more modern cameras that will achieve this.

The main goal is condense the camera to a minimum size for transport.
Ted
The camera can be used on the modern Monorail II rails. We have a 15cm rail which will handle the cameras, even 8x10, just fine.
With a connecting bracket, and another rail, you have all you will need. So what you need if you do not have any monorail II, is called an optical bench.
Monorail II is taller or higher profile, than the rail available 1983 or older, which was supplied with the ABC cameras. It is a also a bit more sturdy as the higher profile is stiffer.
Hope this helps,
Rod

Ted Baker
13-May-2017, 14:25
Ted
The camera can be used on the modern Monorail II rails. We have a 15cm rail which will handle the cameras, even 8x10, just fine.
With a connecting bracket, and another rail, you have all you will need. So what you need if you do not have any monorail II, is called an optical bench.
Monorail II is taller or higher profile, than the rail available 1983 or older, which was supplied with the ABC cameras. It is a also a bit more sturdy as the higher profile is stiffer.
Hope this helps,
Rod

Thanks Rod, that's helpful!

Part of your reply is however slightly confusing.

Of the parts I might need you mention:

1. two rails
2. connecting bracket
3. optical bench instead of the connecting bracket

of each of these parts is there a Oschwald Era parts that can help, or do I need all new type II parts.

Currently I just have Oschwald era rail (is that type 1?) and no other parts, other brackets, rails etc.

Colin Graham
14-May-2017, 06:38
The rail clamp for the Oschwald-era cameras have an open U-shaped profile with knobs that clamp the rail in place.

http://www.rs-photographic.co.uk/shopimages/products/normal/u6559.JPG

I've never handled the newer Arca models, but the type II clamps appear to have a closed-top profile with cam levers and T-studs that fit into a slot at the bottom of the newer rail profile. Otherwise they look pretty similar.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images500x500/Arca_Swiss_042130_Extension_Bracket_II_Tripod_101376.jpg

I doubt the Oschwald era rails would work with the newer type II clamps, but I'm no expert.

mike rosenlof
14-May-2017, 06:51
I've got a late 90s F-line, and some of the older rails...

The new rails work fine in the older clamps. The old rails will not work in the new clamp. The height of the two rail types differ, so you might not want to mix types in one of the old clamps.

Ted Baker
23-May-2017, 08:20
Thanks,

For the many replies, I understand what I now need, just need to find it...