PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Attaching bellows to rear box

Curtis Nelson
21-Jun-2005, 10:08
Hi,

I'm at the point in my camera design where I need to decide how to attach the bellows to the rear box of the camera. I'm thinking I'll glue a small rim or frame around the inside of the box as a sort of mounting point, but how do you attach the bellows frame to that? Should the bellows just go straight into the box from the front standard, or should I pull the front of the bellows through the rear of the box and let the bellows frame rest on the 'outside' of the rear box? Does it matter? Also, how do most LF manufacturers handle this with wooden field cameras? What about fixing the bellows frame in place - just use some contact cement? The bellows will not be replaceable, so I'm after a permanent solution.

Thanks,

Curtis Nelson

Calamity Jane
21-Jun-2005, 11:15
In both the cameras I have build AND the enlarger, I make a wooden frame that is attached to the bellows - the bellows actually pass thru the frame and is then folded and glued back over the frame. I use 1/8x1/4" harwood, like maple. The frames are then secured to the camera with #4x3/8" brass screws. Use felt in the joint between the bellows and the camera.

I like this style because the frames make the bellows removeable, hold the belows in shape, and also makes the joint easily light proof.

jose angel
21-Jun-2005, 13:10
In my 5x7" (metal folding), the bellows is directly glued with contact cement to the rear standard (on the side pointing to the front standard -go straight-). I have changed the bellows and glued it in this way. As you know there is a risk when glueing with contact cement, you have only one chance! I try to remember that Linhof Technikas use the same system.

DELTAFOUR1212
9-Feb-2012, 07:24
Thank you Calamity Jane!

That was my biggest stumbling block making my wetplate camera. :confused:

I always wondered how you attach the bellows to the camera and make it look like a professional job instead of looking cobble- rig! :)

Delta

In both the cameras I have build AND the enlarger, I make a wooden frame that is attached to the bellows - the bellows actually pass thru the frame and is then folded and glued back over the frame. I use 1/8x1/4" harwood, like maple. The frames are then secured to the camera with #4x3/8" brass screws. Use felt in the joint between the bellows and the camera.

I like this style because the frames make the bellows removeable, hold the belows in shape, and also makes the joint easily light proof.