PDA

View Full Version : Problem using 90mm lens with Linhof Master Technika Classic

RussPhoto
6-May-2017, 13:47
Hello everyone!
Does anyone can tell me if I need to drop camera bed of Linhof Master Technika Classic when I use 90mm lens with normal lens board? Or I have to get a recessed one? I just noticed when camera bed dropped, front standard getting loose and it falls off the camera rails. When I use camera in normal position without dropping bed, everything looks fine and firm.

Jac@stafford.net
6-May-2017, 15:00
Perhaps you do not have the infinity stops on the rail.

Bob Salomon
6-May-2017, 16:02
You need the 001015 recessed Comfort Board for the 75 through 150. The only exception would be the 90 4.5 Grandagon since that lens only comes in a 1 shutter.

RussPhoto
6-May-2017, 23:16
Thank you Bob! I'm still confused, do I need to drop-bed to first position when using 90mm lens? I have Fujinon SW 90mm. My camera has no RF cam or infinity stops at all.
You need the 001015 recessed Comfort Board for the 75 through 150. The only exception would be the 90 4.5 Grandagon since that lens only comes in a 1 shutter.

RussPhoto
6-May-2017, 23:17
MT that I own has no RF cam or infinity stops at all, it is just like simple view camera. As far as I understand once the bed dropped focusing needs to be re-adjusted on ground glass. I'm using Fujinon SW 90mm on plain lens board
Perhaps you do not have the infinity stops on the rail.

neil poulsen
7-May-2017, 00:39
Not having had any experience with an the camera, an MT will technically require some drop bed to use with a 90mm or 75mm lens. (Perhaps with a 150 as well, but not sure.)

I was just at a workshop where the instructor uses an MT, and he specifically pointed this out to us. However, rather than going to the trouble of dropping the bed, he just raises the lens a little to where the bed isn't in the field of view, and if need be, tilts the camera down a bit. Tilting the camera down in this matter, may cause some convergence of parallels, but he didn't consider it enough to worry about.

I read on the Wista website that a Wista SP does not require dropping the bed for either a 75mm or a 90mm lens. Moreover, it's possible to switch to a bag bellows to avoid the bellows from inhibiting rise with these lenses. However, an SP has a maximum extension of just under 300mm.

rfesk
7-May-2017, 04:16
I read on the Wista website that a Wista SP does not require dropping the bed for either a 75mm or a 90mm lens. Moreover, it's possible to switch to a bag bellows to avoid the bellows from inhibiting rise with these lenses. However, an SP has a maximum extension of just under 300mm.

Unless you attach an extension to the back.

Bob Salomon
7-May-2017, 06:23
Thank you Bob! I'm still confused, do I need to drop-bed to first position when using 90mm lens? I have Fujinon SW 90mm. My camera has no RF cam or infinity stops at all.

Why not go to the Linhof web site and download the instructions from under the service tab. Your question in fully answered there.

B.S.Kumar
7-May-2017, 14:58

You're thinking of the Toyo 45A that uses back extensions. Wista metal field cameras can be used with extension beds, as well as long bellows.

Kumar

Michael Rosenberg
7-May-2017, 15:30
I have used an extension or high-hat board with my 90mm lens, and situated the front standard on the inner rail as far forward as possible. Then I drop the bed and focus using the rear movements. I dont see how a recessed board would be of any advantage.

Mike

Bob Salomon
7-May-2017, 16:05
I have used an extension or high-hat board with my 90mm lens, and situated the front standard on the inner rail as far forward as possible. Then I drop the bed and focus using the rear movements. I dont see how a recessed board would be of any advantage.

Mike
Of course you will. The way that you are doing it makes ensuring parralism between the lens and film, when you need it, impossible, and critical, geared focusing becomes push and pull. Plus, with some 90 mm lenses, on a flat board, the front standard will not be completely and securely on the rails.

Jac@stafford.net
7-May-2017, 16:54
I have used an extension or high-hat board with my 90mm lens, and situated the front standard on the inner rail as far forward as possible. [...]

That could not be more wrong, completely backwards.

RussPhoto
8-May-2017, 10:22
Thank you for all your input! Problem was solved by adjusting ex-centric "washer" on front standard. Now front standard with 90mm lens sits tight and nice at the very end of the rail (close to GG) with bed-dropped position and I can focus to infinity without any problem using plain Linhof style lens board. I don't think I need recessed one. Lens that I'm using with my MT is Fuji Fujinon-SW 90mm f/8

Rod Klukas
13-May-2017, 08:58

Actually they had a rail 300mm and a 500mm extension bed and a long bellows. I shot the 720mm Nikon tele on this system.
Not sure if still offered, but I see them used.
Rod