PDA

View Full Version : Outage 2 recovery

Tom Westbrook
2-May-2017, 20:05
Hi-

Apologies for the long downtime. I believe things are back to normal & nothing should have been lost this time.

If you find any issues, post them here.

Lee Rust
2-May-2017, 20:08
Thank you, Tom!

BrianShaw
2-May-2017, 20:09
Welcome back. We missed you. Thanks for all the work it must have taken to recover!

Fred L
2-May-2017, 20:15
whew, withdrawal was getting severe. thanks for bringing everything back online !

Qamaro
2-May-2017, 20:17
welcome back missed you guys! glad to hear things are good.

Tom Westbrook
2-May-2017, 20:17
Thanks, but Brian, our server & network benefactor, did all the work. I only had to restore the database to get the Forum back up. On the bright side, we have a new server.

OKAROB
2-May-2017, 20:19
Glad you are back, I almost purchased a lens without first consulting this sight. Sure glad I didn't, this is a valuable site!

Thanks!

Luis-F-S
2-May-2017, 20:26
Boy, it was a long weekend! Glad you're back on line! L

Ulophot
2-May-2017, 20:31
Wunderbar! In touch with real film photographers again. I was getting worried.
Congrats on the new servers. and thanks, always, for this wonderful forum!

Rich14
2-May-2017, 21:01
Well the hot and cold sweats, the tremors, the nausea, and most of all the anxiety were pretty bad. But I've gotten another fix now. *Whew* Hard to put down the habit. 4 days cold turkey! Don't do that again!

Welcome back!

Leigh
2-May-2017, 21:05
Congratulations, Tom, and Thank You very much. Glad we're back up.

- Leigh

Lee Rust
2-May-2017, 21:31
Thank you, Brian!

dsefcik
2-May-2017, 21:37
Thank you..!!

Paul Cunningham
2-May-2017, 21:56
Glad to see you back again!

diversey
2-May-2017, 21:58
Thank you!

David Karp
2-May-2017, 22:10
Thanks to all involved! It is amazing how much I missed the site.

monotux
3-May-2017, 00:05
I'm glad you are back, and I'm very glad that you seem to have working backups as well! :D

PS. Have you considered using LetsEncrypt certificates for this site? It's free and fairly simple to setup, it's just a simple vhost and a cron job away.

Pfsor
3-May-2017, 01:27
Hi-

Apologies for the long downtime. I believe things are back to normal & nothing should have been lost this time.

Am I the only one who would like to know what happened and why? There is not one word of explanation...

B.S.Kumar
3-May-2017, 01:35
It's good to be back!

Thanks,
Kumar

mono
3-May-2017, 01:38
Welcome back!
I missed the LF forum!!

Simon Benton
3-May-2017, 03:55
Thanks for all the hard work and effort to bring the Forum back to life!

resummerfield
3-May-2017, 08:33
A big THANK YOU to all who keep this forum going!

Pawlowski6132
3-May-2017, 09:33
Azure.

Vaughn
3-May-2017, 09:47
Can't upload images -- say .jpg is not a valid file.

Peter Collins
3-May-2017, 10:40
This outtage showed me how important this forum is to me. Thank you for all the hard work! Are you guys accepting donations?

Michael Graves
3-May-2017, 11:19
Can't upload images -- say .jpg is not a valid file.

Same here. And with PNG and BMP files as well.

Vaughn
3-May-2017, 14:10
Just tried with the same file -- no problem now!

Kerosene Hat
3-May-2017, 18:40
Just when I thought I couldn't go on anymore...thanks to you and Brian for the hard work!!!

Michael Graves
4-May-2017, 06:14
Search and Unified View are still throwing database errors for me.

Keith Pitman
4-May-2017, 16:57
I've always found it hard to do plumbing. Sure glad I was never an IT techie!

Leigh
4-May-2017, 17:35
Search and Unified View are still throwing database errors for me.
Both Search and Unified View work fine for me.

Try clearing your browser's cache.

- Leigh

Thalmees
6-May-2017, 09:05
Thanks for all the hard work and effort to bring the Forum back to life!
+999

A big THANK YOU to all who keep this forum going!
+1000
Both wrote it better than my way in writing in English.

This outtage showed me how important this forum is to me. Thank you for all the hard work! Are you guys accepting donations?
+1001
This is what I'm thinking about.
Thanks Peter.
I'm thinking also to open a special thread for this purpose. But, it's already here, outage recovery, enough for my own words.
For the sake of better reaction, I invite members who have several thousands of posts to LFPF, to open a thread discussing donation to the forum/site, and how to be organized.
To all Admin and Moderators, please think of the subject seriously.
I remember, years ago, it was an active subject, but do not know what everybody have been settled on.
I'm sure, a lot of forum mates are willing to donate, and the forum has its periodical coasts more than any personal website.
Please do not respond only to this post(or Peter's post). Take a serious step, open a thread, will not take more than a week or two of discussion to settle on the best decision.
Thanks so much to the people running this place.

jnantz
6-May-2017, 14:34
Hi-

no need to apologize!
thanks for all the stuff
you folks do behind the scenes
to keep the site up and running !

John Kasaian
7-May-2017, 08:51
no need to apologize!
thanks for all the stuff
you folks do behind the scenes
to keep the site up and running !
Yessir!:)

Old_Dick
11-May-2017, 11:46
Hi Folks,

If you know anyone who uses TDS for their ISP, they can not get to this web site. I'm getting here by PROXY. Brian is aware of the problem and I have been conversing with him on the problem. The bottom line is, the only way here is by PROXY, if you are using TDS as your ISP. People at TDS could not ping or traceroute to this site. I'or Brian let you know when it is fixed.

Jac@stafford.net
11-May-2017, 13:10
Can the site owner tell us why he does not charge for access to this site so that a better server/software can be had?
I'm in already!

Ralph Barker
12-May-2017, 04:30
Can the site owner tell us why he does not charge for access to this site so that a better server/software can be had?
I'm in already!

The owner has always felt that accepting donations, charging for membership, or otherwise "going commercial" would diminish the original objective of the site, and take us down a path that would often be inconsistent with our goals. Our server and bandwidth resouces are donated, in part due to the free, non-commercial nature of the site. Until fairly recently, vBulletin has been the premier software for this type of discussion site. We might eventually be forced to change, but the expense of changing is less of an issue than the amount of time involved in doing a conversion.

Old_Dick
12-May-2017, 06:39
Good news for TDS ISP customers. It is now working. Have to thank Brian for his help.

Thalmees
12-May-2017, 06:46
I'm in already!
Hello Jac,
Thanks so much for reviving the subject.
Please let me iterate my invitation to the owner/admins/mods and all members.
My apologies being persistent, but discussion will not hurt anybody, even if it comes in imperfect language or style:cool:.
That means accepting subscriptions. It could be, but there are more than one way to formulate help. Do not think opening subscription is the best way, though I(and most others are, I think) agree happily, if the Owner/admins/mods settled on that.
It could be just accepting donations, with or without any privileges.
I think donation is the best way at least until it prove its worthlessness, which I doubt it too much.
The server and bandwidth resources have been donated, why we(members) do not donate as well?
Not to forget the time/efforts that also been donated by the people running the forum.
Plus, donation, because it's donation, it does not necessitate to be followed by any reward to the donator.
Any member who share his/her experience is donating in some way.
Another plus, donations do not require too much arrangements, involvement or minimum. It can be considered as participating in one of the LF film campaign through on of the forum members.
The whole concept, meaning, relations and attitude of this forum is essentially a donation in a way or another.
My 2 cents.
Thanks so much.

Oren Grad
12-May-2017, 07:37
Thalmees -

We appreciate your concern and support. Your point about the different kinds of "donations" that support the Forum is well taken, too!

Adding to what Ralph said, we aren't interested in raising money just for the sake of raising money. As some of you have noticed, we do now have B&H and Amazon affiliate links (see the menu bar at the top of the page) which can provide us with a modest stream of money to support minor expenses associated with the Forum, without costing the user anything.

We're mindful of the disruption and inconvenience caused by the database hiccups we've been having. If we get to the point where we conclude that it's necessary to license new Forum software, and if the income from the affiliate links isn't enough to cover that, we'll figure out the least obtrusive way of financing it. As Ralph said, though, the major expense of such a transition will be the time required.

Jerry Bodine
14-May-2017, 13:49
...If you find any issues, post them here.
I've encountered an issue with the multi-quote function ... it doesn't seem to be working. I clicked on it to put two different posts into the Quick Reply window, but they don't appear there. They always have in the past. Don't know if it's just me.

Delfi_r
14-May-2017, 14:31
The multiquote is working, at least for me. I understand the difficulty to have all working. We were trring to move a vbulletin form this week and the database it's not working... so thanks for all the work and some patience for the details for the rest of us.

Oren Grad
15-May-2017, 14:38
I've encountered an issue with the multi-quote function ... it doesn't seem to be working. I clicked on it to put two different posts into the Quick Reply window, but they don't appear there. They always have in the past. Don't know if it's just me.

Jerry -

When I try multi-quote, the quotes don't appear in "Quick Reply", but they do appear when I click the big "+ Reply to Thread" button.

Jerry Bodine
15-May-2017, 14:42
Thanks, Oren. I'll give that a try next time I want to multi-quote.