PDA

View Full Version : The Nicaraguans: Twenty Years Between Portraits

Robert Kalman
23-Apr-2017, 16:23
I have a show of 19 diptychs opening on Tuesday, May 2nd at the Soho Photo Gallery in New York City.

In the early 1990’s I traveled to Nicaragua to make formal, 4x5 portraits of villagers in the small, rural pueblo of Larreynaga. Twenty years later, I returned to remake their images and to reconnect with their lives. The resulting portraits pull in opposite directions: while they distinctly mark the passage of time, I believe they are also timeless.

peter schrager
23-Apr-2017, 16:29
Sounds like a really heartfelt show..i used to live,on white street in on the corner of west Broadway...tge little 2 story house on the corner

stawastawa
23-Apr-2017, 18:28
Wish I were in the area to see it. congrats and may it be well received!

johnmsanderson
24-Apr-2017, 05:16
Excellent, congrats, Robert.

Richard Wasserman
24-Apr-2017, 06:23
Robert, this looks like a fantastic project. Congratulations on the show!

Thalmees
24-Apr-2017, 10:06
Congratulation Robert.
Wish you all the success.

Monty McCutchen
24-Apr-2017, 15:29
A beautiful idea and the photo shown here promises a great show. I hope it is as well received as the hard work that went into it deserves

Monty

Ron789
24-Apr-2017, 16:39
Congratulations, Robert! The 2 photo's in your announcement are superb.
I just returned from a 2 1/2 week round trip in Nicaragua and I was impressed by the country, its history and the people. Is there any place I can see more of your photo's?
I live in The Netherlands and though I would love to visit your exhibition, traveling to New York is just a bit too much (though I love that city; I was there a year ago).

Robert Kalman
24-Apr-2017, 18:31
Congratulations, Robert! The 2 photo's in your announcement are superb.
I just returned from a 2 1/2 week round trip in Nicaragua and I was impressed by the country, its history and the people. Is there any place I can see more of your photo's?
I live in The Netherlands and though I would love to visit your exhibition, traveling to New York is just a bit too much (though I love that city; I was there a year ago).

Very kind of you, Ron. There's a section of my website with more of the photos http://www.robertkalmanweb.com/gallery.html?folio=PORTFOLIOS&gallery=Twenty%20Years%20Apart
The exhibition itself can be seen here: https://www.artsy.net/artist/robert-kalman

Ron789
25-Apr-2017, 16:28
I much enjoyed the 2 websites you provided! I noticed that the gallery is advertising your prints for sale as "inkjet fine art prints". Since the images were made on 4x5" film I would expect analog prints. Are the prints really digital inkjet prints? I also noticed they are advertised as 16x20 in, but the frames with the 2 photo's are much more rectangular. Is 16x20" the size of just one image?

Michael Clark
25-Apr-2017, 20:19
Very nice prints and a great theme, and what an undertaken, looking people up after twenty years thats a lot of work and dedication and it shows very well.

Old Jim
28-Apr-2017, 10:45
Great photos and thought to do this. Looking at the photos on the websites you provided are just awesome!!!!