PDA

View Full Version : how to open quickload packet for processing?

marley
19-Jun-2005, 10:42
Hi all,

I want to make my first attempt at processing my LF. I've been taking Fuji quickloads.
I've looked around on the net, but so far can't find something as obvious as the correct
procedure to open the package to remove the sheet for processing. I'd like to have a
good idea before putting it inside the light tent - don't want to fiddle for hours and just
damage the film.

Please advise any tips/tricks you have for the easiest/safest way to open these
holders.

TIA

Paul Butzi
19-Jun-2005, 10:55
If you go to www.butzi.net/reviews/readyquick.htm (http://www.butzi.net/reviews/readyquick.htm) and scroll down to the sections on single sheet readyloads and quickloads, you'll see two relevent photos - one of the two halves of a opened readyload, and one of an opened quickload.

To open the packet, just grab the clip in one hand, the edge of the envelope in the other, and pull. The envelope will slide smoothly off the entire packet. If it doesn't come off easily, the problem is most likely that you're grabbing the non-clip end of the envelope in a way where you're also grabbing the edge of the plastic film carrier (the part with the clip on one end, and a hole to make it easy to grab through the envelope in the other, with the film in the middle).

Once you've got the envelope removed, it's pretty easy to strip off the clip and the plastic stub that attaches to the film, and on the other end of the film, the plastic 'handle' part. Start at the edge, bend the plastic carrier bit one way, and the film the other way, gently. If they don't start to peel apart, reverse the directions you bend. There's a little experience that makes it go more easily, mostly to do with which way to bend and how much. After you've done a few hundred you won't even think about it any more!

Seriously, take a look at the pictures. Give it a try in the changing tent, with just one packet. If it doesn't go smoothly, sacrifice one unexposed packet and examine everything in the light until you're clear on how it all fits together. But I'll bet the photos will do the trick. The big secret is to grab just the very edge of the envelope when pulling the packet apart to start.