PDA

View Full Version : New Chinese 4x5 camera

Karl Beath
19-Jun-2005, 03:08
Hi to you all

Whilst browsing the UK ebay site, I came across this new Chinese 4x5 camera made by KTCamera in China. It has no name that I can see but was entitled "NEW!Schneider,Rodenstock,ZeissPortable 4×5 inch camera" on the ebay site. Does anyone know anything about these cameras.

Thanks in advance.

Karl

Dave Moeller
19-Jun-2005, 04:50
Karl-

Cameras like this have been showing up on eBay for the last few months. It seems someone in China has set up shop building 4x5, 6x12, and 6x17 cameras using focusing helicoils and backs that take either standard film holders or that include roll film transports. Judging from what I could learn on the auctions, the cameras are very basic designs, but if you want a point-and-shoot 4x5 this is another option that might be easier to use than a Graflex or MPP camera. Not as flexible as the others, certainly, but very simple...and the focusing helicoil would make focusing a little easier. This same seller also shows up with 6x12 backs for Graflok back cameras occasionally.

Not having actually seen one in person everything I have to say is just conjecture, but I imagine that the cameras are fairly basic, a bit crude, but get the job done. In the case of the 4x5 I'd personally stick with an old press camera, but if I was in the market for a 6x12 back I'd take a long look at the backs sold by this seller (eBay user ID "ktchina").

Be well.

Brian Ellis
19-Jun-2005, 05:02
I always ignore anything on ebay where the seller has thrown in some names like "Schneider, Rodenstock, Zeiss" that are totally irrelevant to the product being sold. The only purpose of throwing those names into the subject line is to snag people doing a search for Schneider, Rodenstock, and Zeiss equipment. I figure someone who would stoop to that level in order to attract viewers probably isn't someone I want to do business with.

Karl Beath
19-Jun-2005, 07:09
Hi Dave, Brian

Thanks 4 yr comments. Brian I take your point about using names to get interest. I know from the ad, that he does supply mounts for Schneider and Rodenstock, perhaps this is why is uses the names. One does need to be careful though.

Dave, what I really wld like is Horseman SW612, but who am I kidding, I can't afford one. The Fotoman 612 looks like like an alternative, however on the present model you can't view each shot before shooting, I understand that they are producing a pro version. Anyone useing a Fotoman 612, I wld like to hear fom you.

Back to the Chinese 4x5, the item number on the UK ebay is 7523689525 perhaps have a look at it tell me what you think.

Cheers
Karl

Ted Harris
19-Jun-2005, 07:50
Brian, in the earlier ads he actually was supplying lenses with the cameras.

Karl, do a lot of looking before you make yoru final choice. I spent years going back and forth between 6x12 backs the Horseman SW612, the similar Linhof and the Fuji GW 617. While all of them produced some fine images that did meet my needs and I do use a Canham 6x17 back from time to time on my 5x7, none of them did exactly what I wanted. So, I started looking at the 'real' panoramic cameras, those that give you a field of view similar to that of the human eye or greater, the wing lens and swing body cameras. After renting and borrowing a variety (including the Seitz Roundshot, Horizon, Widelux and Xpan) I settled on the Noblex 150. It is not perfect but it is a very well made, sturdy camera that functions flawlessly, which you can't say about all the swing lens cameras, and has superb optics. I think it paid for itself on the first commercial job where I had to use it. There is a real difference in the view from these cameras and those from the simple wide format cameras.

Herb Cunningham
19-Jun-2005, 09:25
there is a noblex clone made in Ukraine, I beleive, that Kiev Camer a sells.

Ted Harris
19-Jun-2005, 09:43
Herb, I believe the Novlex clone to which you are referring is the Horizon. It is good value for the money but it is still not cheap and the optics are significantly inferior to the Noblex; further, it often suffers from frame spacing problems.

CXC
19-Jun-2005, 10:36
Actually, to complete the circle, China is also in the rotating lens pan camera game, with the Widepan. The new one currently on eBay from a British seller is a little over half the US price.

This one takes 120 film and even at full US price is a grand less than a Noblex. I've been pleased with some recent stuff that has come out of my Widelux F8, and IMHO pans need to be printed fairly large, so I am sorely tempted by the Widepan. Though I would prefer sticking with 1:2.5 rather than 1:2.

I find it odd that lots of folks agree that 1:2.5 is a great pan ratio, but most of the cameras are 1:2 or 1:2.8...

Joe Hunt
20-Jun-2005, 15:39
CXC - "I find it odd that lots of folks agree that 1:2.5 is a great pan ratio, but most of the cameras are 1:2 or 1:2.8..."

Since the Noblex 150 negative is 5cm x 12cm, the ratio is 1:2.4 and quite close to what those folks want!

It also occurs to me that "6x17" (ratio 1:2.8) is more like 5.6x17, giving a ratio of 1:3.

CXC
20-Jun-2005, 20:19
Joe, that was my bad. I forgot to take into account that a 6x12 is actually a 5x12, a very nice ratio. Soon as I win the lottery, my first purchase will be a Noblex...

europanorama
10-Sep-2018, 20:01
Herb, I believe the Novlex clone to which you are referring is the Horizon. It is good value for the money but it is still not cheap and the optics are significantly inferior to the Noblex; further, it often suffers from frame spacing problems.
There is no Noblex-clone.
Widepan 140 and 140 II and Phenix(almost the same) arealmost identical Panon Widelux 1500-clones. only image is 110mm not 122mm. but still 1/250 produces overexposure at start. confirmed by Phenix.
Horizon 205 PC/Pan 120 is "improved" Widelux 1500 with continous exposure series.
Novlex doesnt exist and Horizon is a brand no model...