PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between Fujinon W & A lens?

bmgmusic
28-Nov-1999, 17:25
Is the difference much the same as between Schneider Symmar and G-Claron, one op timized for infinity, the other for close up?

Glenn Kroeger
28-Nov-1999, 19:42
Yes, Fujinon W are like Symmars and Sironars, Fujinon A lenses are optimized for closeup, but unlike most G-Clarons, the Fujinons are multicoated and work very well at infinity. The A's make great lightweight lenses for field work.

Patrick Raymore
28-Nov-1999, 21:11
The symmars are corrected for 1:20 to infinity. The G Clarons are 1:1 lenses. The Fujinon A series is corrected for 1:1 to 1:10.

Also remember that the Fujinon A series is a stop+ slower than the W series. Depending on what you do the W series can be a whole lot easier to focus.

Masayoshi Hayashi
29-Nov-1999, 12:24
According to Mr. Sakamoto at Fuji Optical Co. in Japan, the coating of a Fujinon A 180mm has not been changed since early 1970's (since the introduction of EBC coating). That is Single Coated EBC. "A" stands for Apocromatic. G-Claron is not.

Tito Sobrinho.
29-Nov-1999, 22:16
Hi, Masayoshi: G Claron is an apochromatic design. The old Fujinons only had a single coating in the early '70s. By the time they started multicoating, EBC was added to their lens flanges. Tito.

Patrick Raymore
30-Nov-1999, 17:26
I have both versions of the Fuji 180mm A setting in front of me right now. It is obvious which one is EBC coated. The EBC coated lens has a strong green tint. The lens designation (script) is written on the outside perimeter of the front cell. The older 180 has a faint pink tint but reflects multiple coats from the inner elements. The designation is on the inner front retaining ring. Since I have no idea when these lenses were manufactured I can not tell when the change in coating occurred. I have tons of Fuji brochures and I can probably date (approx.) the change but I can not see the purpose.

My G-Claron is single coated.

Masayoshi Hayashi
2-Dec-1999, 00:09
We're drifting off from the original question a little bit but... Tito, about your comment, is G-Claron really APO? I haven't seen any comment of APO on G-Claron before so I assumed it's not. But it's quite understandable G-Claron is APO in life size range though. Thanks for correcting me.

I asked Mr. Sakamoto about the Fujinon A 180mm when I bought a used one. He told me the EBC on this lens is SC but from Pat and Tito's comment, it sounds like if EBC, then the lens is MC?? Thanks for clarification.

Hap Mullenneaux
7-Dec-1999, 17:40
How does the Fujinon L compare? I'm looking at a Fujinon L 210mm f/5.6.

Thanks, Hap

Tito Sobrinho.
9-Dec-1999, 00:31
210mm f5.6 Fujinon L(single coated) LS (EBC Multicoated). Tessar type (3-4)with an angle of coverage of 59 degrees, image circle at f22 of 240mm. Covers 5x7. Tessar type of lens will give you excellent contrast and brilliance. They have been around since 1902 and are the most imitated design so far. Tito.

Patrick Raymore
9-Dec-1999, 13:51
I have heard only good things about the 210 L. I don't know if the Fujinon 210 L was ever Multi-coated, so you should check carefully if you are concerned about multi-coating. I have never had the lens myself but a photo friend has it and is happy with it. The lens is heavier (~320 grams) than the 180 AS (170 grams) or the Nikkor 200 M, because it uses a Copal #1 but compensates with a fast F5.6 aperture.

Patrick Raymore
10-Dec-1999, 13:18
One last comment on the 210 L. Being a tessar design it has less coverage than the regular Plasmat designs commonly available.