View Full Version : Another crowd funded 8x10

Dan Fromm
10-Apr-2017, 04:51
Not on Kickstarter, but ...

https://fr.ulule.com/woodymanproject/

locutus
10-Apr-2017, 06:27
Thats a.... VERY minimalist design!

I think 800 euros is a bit over the top for it and also makes it sit in this no mans land of not being cheap enough yet also expensive enough that a cheap secondhand camera with higher quality is not that much more.

Cant imagine this will be as successful as the Intrepid to be honest.

John Kasaian
10-Apr-2017, 06:29
Interesting!:cool:
I don't recognize the shutter on that Fuji lens and that 8x10 Woodyman on a selfie stick looks, well, courageous!
What is the story on those bellows? I don't understand French :o

Fr. Mark
10-Apr-2017, 08:58
I don't speak enough French either to get all the information off their site, but that design looks like it has more in the way of rear movements v. the 4x5 Intrepid, not sure about the coming 8x10 intrepid. I'm just excited that a lot of innovative thinking is being put into 8x10. I'm also curious what they might come up with in film holder technology, too.

Jim Noel
10-Apr-2017, 09:27
Thats a.... VERY minimalist design!

I think 800 euros is a bit over the top for it and also makes it sit in this no mans land of not being cheap enough yet also expensive enough that a cheap secondhand camera with higher quality is not that much more.

Cant imagine this will be as successful as the Intrepid to be honest.

I agree, a very good used camera is cheaper.

Nodda Duma
10-Apr-2017, 09:37
The decline of film coupled with the flood of used cameras will continue to depress the market for new large format cameras for many years to come.

Oren Grad
10-Apr-2017, 09:54
I don't recognize the shutter on that Fuji lens...

It's a "white face" Copal 3. Actually, IIRC it's a 3S. I have a 250 Fujinar SC that I purchased long ago. I have a vague recollection that at the time the price was low and I bought it thinking I wanted it for the shutter, but then when it arrived it was so nice that I decided I didn't want to take it apart.

Oren Grad
10-Apr-2017, 10:07
The weight (3.2 kg) is certainly appealing. If the construction quality is any good and the camera is decently rigid - hard to tell from what's shown - then I'd consider it good value at the price.

Jody_S
10-Apr-2017, 10:56
You won't be able to use anything wider than a 210mm on that camera. Maybe not even that.

vinny
10-Apr-2017, 11:00
those bellows are the best thing about it!

Serge S
10-Apr-2017, 14:35
I read it over and they don't address the bellows.
Spend more time discussing why LF and the camera in general

I don't recognize the shutter on that Fuji lens and that 8x10 Woodyman on a selfie stick looks, well, courageous!

mdarnton
10-Apr-2017, 16:04
It may all tighten down well enough after the knobs are secure, but I would not have put those couple of seconds in the middle into the film, where he is messing with the front movements and the whole front end is wobbling around like a bucket of loose parts. Now I need to see more to assure me.

Anyway, the Intrepid 8x10 is stiff competition that I will be most interested in seeing. I already have warned my wife that I may have to buy a New camera (usually what I buy can be justified by pennies-on-the-dollar used and obsolete pricing structures.)

asenabed
18-Apr-2017, 11:46
Is 4'5 inch same like 8x10cm

Изпратено от моят SM-G800F с помощта на Tapatalk

Fr. Mark
18-Apr-2017, 19:48
I'm not sure I'm understanding the question. 2.54 cm = 1 inch exactly. 4x5 inches = approximately 10x12.5cm. 8x10 inches = approximately 20cm x 25cm. Actual film sizes and area of film exposed are slightly different. With glass plates 8x10 inches may be 8x10 inches. When film started metal inserts were made to go in glass plate holders, that forced film to be a little smaller than 8x10 inches. Does this help?

asenabed
19-Apr-2017, 02:09
I'm not sure I'm understanding the question. 2.54 cm = 1 inch exactly. 4x5 inches = approximately 10x12.5cm. 8x10 inches = approximately 20cm x 25cm. Actual film sizes and area of film exposed are slightly different. With glass plates 8x10 inches may be 8x10 inches. When film started metal inserts were made to go in glass plate holders, that forced film to be a little smaller than 8x10 inches. Does this help?
Friend I will use 4x5 or 8x10 to work with tourists on the street in Europe.I am not there yet and don't know what camera should buy for the portraits.On e-bay I found camera 13x18cm.Can be transformed easy?

locutus
19-Apr-2017, 04:11
4x5 and 8x10 are far more common then metric sizes.

Which of the 2 you would want depends also on your output, are you going to scan, enlarge, contact print?

asenabed
19-Apr-2017, 09:00
4x5 and 8x10 are far more common then metric sizes.

Which of the 2 you would want depends also on your output, are you going to scan, enlarge, contact print?
Friend I will flush then on the streets with portatil darkroom.Can camera 13x18 can be transformed.I don't understand a lot but I thing is only about cnange the filmholder

xkaes
19-Apr-2017, 10:00

The Fujinmar SC lenses came in COPAL #3 shutters. Details are at:

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byseries.htm