PDA

View Full Version : Arca Swiss 110mm Convertable?

dodphotography
5-Apr-2017, 17:59
Hey all... if I were to purchase a 4x5 F Line with 110mm front standard would you be able to convert this with the 8x10 rear standard package?

Something tells me it's only available for 141 front Standards but I've had a few long nights of being high on developer and fixer and I'm not thinking straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mstrickland
5-Apr-2017, 18:00
I believe the conversion kits include both front and rear frames.

dodphotography
5-Apr-2017, 18:04
I believe the conversion kits include both front and rear frames.

Hmm, well that would change things.

Christopher Barrett
5-Apr-2017, 18:29
Yeah, I don't believe there is an 8x10 to 110 bellows. Rod knew my boards were 110 when I ordered my 8x10 and the solution was a 141 to 110 reducing board for the lenses.

-CB

dodphotography
5-Apr-2017, 18:37
Yeah, I don't believe there is an 8x10 to 110 bellows. Rod knew my boards were 110 when I ordered my 8x10 and the solution was a 141 to 110 reducing board for the lenses.

-CB

I was trying to find a cheaper way around things.

I only shoot 4x5 because it practically allows me to shoot color. But without a doubt my primary format, way of seeing, way of making my best work is 8x10.

I'm almost there financially for a New AS order. Almost.

biedron
5-Apr-2017, 21:21
Rod Klukas may chime in here at some point with the official take on things, but I am pretty sure that:

1) 8x10 conversion sets come with bellows frames at both end of the bellows, and an 8x10 format frame and ground glass etc. at the large end. No format frame at the small end. Format frames are what fit into the function carriers that allow tilt, swing and focus movement. The bellows frame snaps into the format frame.

2) The front of new 8x10 conversion kits fit 141mm format frames; older ones fit 171mm format frames. So in neither case will they fit a 110mm format frame (the current front standard size for 4x5). But, the current 4x5 rear format frame is 141mm and older ones were 171mm, so I think you could just use your 4x5 rear frame as the front frame on an 8x10 conversion.

3) Of course I could be wrong...

As Chris said, there are converter boards to fit 110mm lens boards you may have into a current 141mm format frame; likewise there are converter boards to fit 110mm lens boards into an older 171mm format frame (possibly only available used or third-party knock-offs).

Hope this helps

Bob

Mark Darragh
6-Apr-2017, 00:01
Some years ago I purchased an old 8x10 conversion kit (171mm version) to complement my F Line Field. As I understand, the 8x10 sets only come with the bellows and rear frame/ground glass etc. As Bob suggests, it is quite feasible to use the rear format frame of the F Line Field as the front for the 8x10. Most of my lenses live in 110mm Arca boards which work well with a 110 - 171 adapter.

Based on my observation, on the used market there appears to be more of old 171mm gear available. Rod Klukas might be able to confirm if there are still new 171mm legacy parts available.

You could certainly build a custom bellows set with a 110mm front but you would limit the potential for any front rise unless you used something like the Arca extender for front format frames. Another potential problem is that the rear elements of many of the bigger lenses suitable for 8x10 are too big to fit through the 110mm frame. Not an issue if you use more compact lenses though.