PDA

View Full Version : 240mm Heliar use on Linhof Technika

Robclarke
5-Apr-2017, 09:08
I am thinking of buying a voigtlander 240mm f4.5 heliar to use as a portrait lens on my Linhof master technika. I am wondering if it is usable on a technika and if so what I need to get done for it to fit.

I presume that the hole in the lensboard is not one of the standard sizes and I would need to get one drilled to fit? Is there anything else I need to consider to try and use one of these on a Technika.

DrTang
5-Apr-2017, 09:57
you may need a top hat board because of the width of the shutter will not fit between the standards..so you might have to offset it forward to get it in front of the standards

Bob Salomon
5-Apr-2017, 10:13
Technika boards are available factory milled for 0,1 and 3 size Copal and Computer shutters.
However some 240mm lenses, and longer might have a rear element that protrudes too far behind the front standard and those lenses will block being able to latch the board in place since the top edge of the rear barrel will hit the rear of the front standard.
If you have a lens that has this problem then Linhof does offer a special "Z" board. This board has the hole positioned slightly lower on the board to prevent the problem. However, these boards are only made on special order by the factory. Same cost as the regular 3 hole board.

Arne Croell
6-Apr-2017, 06:05
I am thinking of buying a voigtlander 240mm f4.5 heliar to use as a portrait lens on my Linhof master technika. I am wondering if it is usable on a technika and if so what I need to get done for it to fit.

I presume that the hole in the lensboard is not one of the standard sizes and I would need to get one drilled to fit? Is there anything else I need to consider to try and use one of these on a Technika.
It can be done, although it is a tight fit. The opening needed for the Compound IV shutter just barely fits within the radius of the light trap ridge on the back of the Technika board. The flange ring holding the lens has to be mounted on the front. When I got a 24cm Heliar without flange ring, I had a mechanic make an aluminum replacement ring and epoxied it to the front (see center image) It still holds after 16 years. If you have the flange, you have to tap three threads for the screws to screw it on. Because things are tight, there are only a few positions where all three screws can be used (see right hand image). Because the lens has to be dead centered within the light trap ridge, it will be offset with the front standard in zero position on a Technika.

Arne

David Lindquist
6-Apr-2017, 10:00
Arne, very good to see you here again, it's been awhile! (I missed your two postings on March 31.)
David

Arne Croell
6-Apr-2017, 10:08
Arne, very good to see you here again, it's been awhile! (I missed your two postings on March 31.)
David

Thanks, David! The last 2-3 years I was swamped with work and moving, so something had to give.
Arne

Robclarke
6-Apr-2017, 23:53
Thanks for your help so far. The one I am looking at buying comes with a flange. The seller says it would need to be cut down to fit on a technika board. Would I also need a spacer ring to ensure the sides of the shutter don't bump into the struts of the front standard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Arne Croell
7-Apr-2017, 07:45
I used mine on a Technikardan, which has slightly different struts. No need for a spacer there. However, the shutter had to be positioned with the brake cylinder not at the top (see the left image further up) to not interfere with the locking mechanism at the top. I can check it on my Technika this evening.

Thanks for your help so far. The one I am looking at buying comes with a flange. The seller says it would need to be cut down to fit on a technika board. Would I also need a spacer ring to ensure the sides of the shutter don't bump into the struts of the front standard?

Robclarke
7-Apr-2017, 07:46
I used mine on a Technikardan, which has slightly different struts. No need for a spacer there. However, the shutter had to be positioned with the brake cylinder not at the top (see the left image further up) to not interfere with the locking mechanism at the top. I can check it on my Technika this evening.

Excellent that would be great. Thanks for your help.

Arne Croell
7-Apr-2017, 18:43
Yes, for mounting it on a Technika a spacer is apparently needed, as the shutter rim interferes with the lower horizontal part of the struts, where the lens board is most recessed wrt the front of the struts.

Arne