PDA

View Full Version : Shanel shutter info needed

blue4130
5-Apr-2017, 05:17
So I am looking at putting an old brass lens into a shutter. There is a Shanel #5A available at a reasonable cost, but the seller doesn't have specifics on thread size of the front mount. I tried to find online, but there isn't a whole lot of info that I can find. Any one know what the threads are on the 5A or the 5B?

Dan Fromm
5-Apr-2017, 06:35
http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?threads/fs-large-shutters-copal-3-and-shanel-5a.140410/print Kumar might know.

There's a law of nature to the effect that old brass lenses in barrel into modern shutters do not go.

blue4130
6-Apr-2017, 16:41
Why would old brass lens not go in a shutter? Historical accuracy or some technical limitation that I am not thinking of? Surely it will work if I have the correct adapter machined,no? The lens covers 8x10 but I am using it on 4x5, so I don't see mechanical vignetting to be an issue (the shutter hole is roughly 20mm bigger than the lens barrel)

B.S.Kumar
6-Apr-2017, 18:53
Dan, there's no reason old brass lenses won't go into shutters. Most of those lenses had imperial thread pitches, so an adapter would be necessary. Using a shutter like the Shanel is a very practical solution, just like a Packard or Sinar shutter. I measured the Shanel 5A and 5B-S shutters - with a scale, not a caliper, so measurements are not 100% accurate:

The 5A does not have an aperture mechanism. The 5B and 5B-S have speeds from 1 second to 1/100th + B. Both have M and X sync.
5A: Body diameter: ~115mm Front diameter ~63.8 mm Rear inner diameter ~59 mm Rear outer diameter ~63.7 mm Pitch 1mm Maximum aperture size ~51 mm
5B-S: Body diameter: ~115mm Front diameter ~64.3 mm Rear inner diameter ~67.3 mm Rear outer diameter ~72 mm Pitch 1mm Maximum aperture size ~50 mm

Due to their large size, they need a spacer ring to clear the front of field cameras like the Wista and Technika, whose standards will prevent the lens boards from being mounted.

Kumar