PDA

View Full Version : Bottle cap size?

Kirk Gittings
3-Apr-2017, 05:43
I have some nice amber bottles from some cold brew coffee that I buy. They would be useful for storing photo chemistry but they have metal caps which IME tend to corrode. I was thinking about trying to find plastic caps online but I can't figure out how to determine the size?

IanG
3-Apr-2017, 05:55
Kirk, I save plastic caps that I think may fit other bottles but there don't appear to be standards. It's pot luck it seems.

Ian

Jim Jones
3-Apr-2017, 06:19
Wrap Saran wrap over the top of the bottle before screwing the metal cap on.

Jac@stafford.net
3-Apr-2017, 06:53
Been there! Try http://www.qorpak.com/pages/HowtoSelecttheRightSizeCapforyourBottle
Scroll down for free printable measure

koraks
3-Apr-2017, 06:54

This, or wrap two layers of saran wrap around a cork that's cut to fit the bottle and use that as as stopper. Note that the saran wrap will likely be damaged when screwing on a cap, so you'd have to replace it often.

Thalmees
3-Apr-2017, 07:34
+1, and use until it starts to develop corrosion.
Another idea. I use my dark and thick glass of my Antacid syrup.
I know lots of photographers use antacid.
Gaviscon from GSK, is the best heartburn medicine for me, thick juice and instant relieve.
I actually "drink" it, and not alone in the house.
The bottles are thick dark brown bottle glass, of 300ml, could accommodate 350ml, and have a tough air tight plastic cap.
One of the best bottles I've seen or used.
Sorry if this outside the original post.

barnacle
3-Apr-2017, 11:10
Except... "Hi dear, this Gaviscon tastes a bit odd, and it's not as thick as usual. Is it a new flavour?"

Neil

Bob Salomon
3-Apr-2017, 11:38
Kaiser makes slip on Lens caps in plastic from 17mm to over 100mm. Go to their site and check the sizes and use a good mm ruler or caliper to measure the size of your bottles.
Or check with Crown Cork and Seal. They make most of the bottle caps they own Alcoa.

Kirk Gittings
4-Apr-2017, 09:22
Been there! Try http://www.qorpak.com/pages/HowtoSelecttheRightSizeCapforyourBottle

I'll give that a try. Thanks

Kirk Gittings
4-Apr-2017, 09:23
This, or wrap two layers of saran wrap around a cork that's cut to fit the bottle and use that as as stopper. Note that the saran wrap will likely be damaged when screwing on a cap, so you'd have to replace it often.

I thought about corks.
Do you know anything about how cork sizes are measured?

Kirk Gittings
4-Apr-2017, 09:24
Except... "Hi dear, this Gaviscon tastes a bit odd, and it's not as thick as usual. Is it a new flavour?"

Neil

If she's going into my darkroom looking for Gaviscon, then we have bigger problems to look at.....

Kirk Gittings
4-Apr-2017, 09:25

Always an option. I'd love to find the right size plastic cap first though.

koraks
4-Apr-2017, 09:26
I thought about corks.
Do you know anything about how cork sizes are measured?
Nope, I'd probably just cut some to size from wine bottle corks....

Kirk Gittings
4-Apr-2017, 10:10
If I go with a stopper I think I'd like to find chemically resistant rubber.

Jerry Bodine
4-Apr-2017, 11:52

Jac, thanks for that link. I've often wondered about the standards.

Kirk, after you've nailed down the sizes of your bottles and caps with that measuring chart, if you let us know we probably can help locate some online sources for plastic caps.

Kirk Gittings
4-Apr-2017, 19:26
Jerry you can order caps from the same site.

Thalmees
5-Apr-2017, 05:15
Neil

If she's going into my darkroom looking for Gaviscon, then we have bigger problems to look at.....
LOL:D.
Did not expect my Gaviscon will deviate far that way!
Hopefully my language did not help to describe the bottle properly.
While my Gaviscon is truly thick, the bottle is "hard" as well!
Thanks for the sense of humor.

Mark Sawyer
5-Apr-2017, 10:45
Just take one of the empties down to Ace Hardware and check their little black rubber corks for the right size.

Kirk Gittings
21-Apr-2017, 17:26
Just take one of the empties down to Ace Hardware and check their little black rubber corks for the right size.

:)

Eric Woodbury
21-Apr-2017, 18:20
Lots of black, beige, or silicon rubber stoppers at Amazon. Size decoder ring is here,

https://www.sciencecompany.com/Black-Rubber-Stoppers-Size-Chart.aspx

If you have a brewing supply in ABQ, you could try them.

Louie Powell
22-Apr-2017, 05:19
Many years ago, I wrote an article for a photography magazine titled 'Jugs, Jars and Jeroboams' - the subject was recycling of commercial containers for darkroom storage.

There are standards for threaded bottles and the associated closures. For example, the most common size for 16 and 32 oz containers is the 28mm cap.

Unfortunately, as one of the cited references shows, there are also standards for threading, and this means that there still can be variations within that standards 28mm diameter. The variation seems to be a function of the number of turns required to completely seal the bottle, so I suspect that for darkroom work, you would want a closure that requires more turns.

My sense is that glass containers tend to be uniform, and a generic 28mm closure will usually fit.

But plastic containers are another thing. Recently, I've been making wooden caps for plastic soda and water containers (intended to allow the container to be reused as a water bottle with a little class) by turning a wooden cap that fits over the plastic closure that came with the bottle. I've found that the cap from one bottle frequently won't fit on another bottle, and it's necessary to start with the cap that came the bottle that I'm planning to recycle. I suspect that this is because these plastic bottles are mass-produced/injection molded and designed to be disposable, it is very easy to make the cap and bottle match each other without concern for whether they match anything else.