PDA

View Full Version : Have I Killed My XTOL Developer

IanBarber
2-Apr-2017, 07:29
I have just developed 2 sheets of 4x5 using Xtol which I use Replenished.

I have done something daft and was wondering if I may have now killed the Developer...

I developed the film and then poured the developer into a Graduate
I used my normal Stop Bath (Ilford's) and then poured that back into it's own bottle through a plastic funnel
About 5 minutes later I poured the developer from the graduate back into it's own bottle but I used the same funnel without cleaning the funnel

Could I have now killed the developer by using the same funnel ?

IanG
2-Apr-2017, 08:17
Probably not because the amount of stop bath left on the funnel after 5 minutes would be minimal compared to the volume of developer. Only way to find out is to process a test sheet but I doubt there will be any difference to normal.

If it had been fixer the answer would be quite different.

Ian

IanBarber
2-Apr-2017, 09:31
Probably not because the amount of stop bath left on the funnel after 5 minutes would be minimal compared to the volume of developer. Only way to find out is to process a test sheet but I doubt there will be any difference to normal.

If it had been fixer the answer would be quite different.

Ian

Thanks Ian. BTW looks like your inbox is full :)

Thalmees
2-Apr-2017, 11:29
Only way to find out is to process a test sheet
+1.
Hello IanG,
You may test activity by piece of film cut from small format in room light.

IanG
2-Apr-2017, 11:57
Thanks Ian. BTW looks like your inbox is full :)

Not any longer :D

Thinking about it while sat in the darkroom I realised the Sodium Metaborate buffering in the Xtol should easily cope with the slight trace of acidity from any residual Citrate from the stop-bath left on the funnel.

Ian

IanBarber
2-Apr-2017, 12:35
Not any longer :D

Thinking about it while sat in the darkroom I realised the Sodium Metaborate buffering in the Xtol should easily cope with the slight trace of acidity from any residual Citrate from the stop-bath left on the funnel.

Ian

I will let you know tomorrow, just exposed a test sheet, will develop it in the morning :)

IanBarber
3-Apr-2017, 04:23
Thanks Ian, all appeared to be ok :-)

http://www.digitalmonochromeforum.co.uk/attachments/all-saints-frickley-jpg.3287/

IanG
3-Apr-2017, 05:08
Thanks Ian, all appeared to be ok :-)

http://www.digitalmonochromeforum.co.uk/attachments/all-saints-frickley-jpg.3287/

You'll have learnt a useful lesson,I doubt you'll make the same mistake again :D

Ian

Peter Collins
3-Apr-2017, 17:41
IanG and friends, there is a huge difference between learning a useful lesson, and remembering it later when some grey hairs have appeared in one's toupee. I am proof of that statement....

cowanw
4-Apr-2017, 10:27
IanG and friends, there is a huge difference between learning a useful lesson, and remembering it later when some grey hairs have appeared in one's toupee. I am proof of that statement....

Why? Did your Mom and Dad forget something, way back when?:confused: