PDA

View Full Version : Bag bellows stinks of tobacco smoke

Lars Åke Vinberg
15-Jun-2005, 19:13
I just bought a bag bellows for Toyo 45G monorail from someone in Canada. It really stinks of tobacco smoke. Is it washable?

The bag bellows is made of a satin-like cloth material, looks like good quality. No Toyo logo, so I don't know if it is Toyo or other brand. I'm guessing cold water, some mild detergent will do the trick.

Donald Qualls
15-Jun-2005, 20:18
Water is bad for the stiffeners between folds; they're likely cardboard (pasteboard, they'd call it some places), and water will swell, warp, and distort them, possibly making the bellows permanently misshapen.

You might try cleaning the exterior of the bellows with a spray cleaner like 409, Fantastik, or equivalent product (usually sold in a trigger spray and a 750 ml to 1 liter bottle, advertised to clean anything in the kitchen); these won't wet the bellows enough to damage anything, and are pretty good at removing odors. Alternately, Febreze is an American product specifically touted to remove odors from fabric -- this sounds right up its alley; just spray it on and wait a bit. You may also be able to obtain a product specifically made for removing tobacco odors or stains from fabric -- this would be the best of all, but I don't know any brand names even for the USA.

Wrapping and stuffing with newspaper, possibly through several cycles, is a good way to get a lot of odors out, but the nicotine and tars from cigarette smoke are pretty stubborn -- I've seen nicotine stains come through multiple layers of oil based paint in a bathroom, and the nicotine is the part of tobacco that really smells bad (the tars don't smell all that bad if they're not too concentrated -- and I'm speaking as a non-smoker).

Andrew O'Neill
15-Jun-2005, 22:11
I second the Febreeze stuff. Works nicely on a stinky focussing cloth that I got from an old photographer who smoked like a chimney. A lot of us also use it on our stinky hockey geer here in Canada.

george jiri loun
16-Jun-2005, 01:51
Leave it in sun.

Armin Seeholzer
16-Jun-2005, 04:46
Hi Lars

I had the same problem with my Sinar bag bellows and I washed him out first with warm water and sometthing like calgon wich smells very fine and strong and then washed it again with cold water and tried it at the sun. And after it was try I used a spray for tents which hold it flexible and waterproof. Did it 2 years ago worked perfect.

Donald Qualls
16-Jun-2005, 04:54
Doh!! BAG bellows -- please ignore above comments about stiffeners; if you can separate the cloth from the frame, laundering in gentle cycle with delicate fabric detergent (like Woolite) should be just right -- same treatment you'd give fine lingerie (and I don't mean cotton jockey shorts). A little fabric softener will help with the smell, too -- that "April fresh" scent covers a multitude of sins...

SHY
16-Jun-2005, 05:55
Take up smoking ;-)

S.

Mike Cockerham
16-Jun-2005, 06:09
There is a product called Odor Xit that will remove the odor.

www.odorxit.com

Mike

Matt Mengel
16-Jun-2005, 07:14
Charcoal absorbs odors-just dont use Matchlite

Joseph O'Neil
16-Jun-2005, 07:16
I'll second the Febreeze suggestion. I had a similar situation to you once, stuff works like a charm. A soft wipe off first with a damp cloth just to remove any surface particles, then after it dries, spray it, even if you have to do it twice over a couple of days.
joe

John Kasaian
16-Jun-2005, 08:35
When I was a janitor at a Ladies dorm back in college(yeah, they had Ladies Dorms back then) we had something called "Gorilla Drops" that could get the stink out of anything(except a freezer full of frozen chicken and fish that thawed out for two weeks in the middle of a 100+ deg. summer! Now that left a memorable impression!) I don't know where you'd find the stuff though.

Good Luck!

Paul Fitzgerald
16-Jun-2005, 08:45
Hi there,

You could try finding an auto detailing shop, they have sprays, drops, even ozone generators to eliminate odors from cars (leather & fabric upholstery; heater ducts). They should be able to sell you what you need for tobacco smells.

Good luck with it.

dan nguyen
16-Jun-2005, 10:40
How about put it in a plastic bag with lot of baking soda, close the plastic bag and leave it a couple days....

jose angel
16-Jun-2005, 12:35
You can try immersing it for a week in deodorant sand used for cat´s excrements. You can find it in diffrent fragances.

Brian Vuillemenot
16-Jun-2005, 16:48
Just be sure to remove the cat's excrements first...

Capocheny
16-Jun-2005, 19:35
Lars,

Take a larger sized plastic bag and place your bellows in it... then, take a box of baking soda and sprinkle generously around the bellows. Seal the end of the bag and let it stay in there for a day or two. The powder should absorb the odor from the bellows.

Hope this helps..

Cheers

d.s.
19-Jun-2005, 06:46
I bought some new Toyo film holders a couple of years ago, from B and H, and the smelled like they had been in a fire. Some other people here reported the same thing. The smell was more like a fire or strong chemicales than tobacco smoke. Could it be that your Toyo product smells the same?

Any way I would use the baking soda treament or that special charcole to remove the smell. I'd be afraid that anything liquid might harm the bellows.

dee

Lars Åke Vinberg
19-Jun-2005, 10:49
Thank you all for you _very_ creative responses! This as been a most entertaining thread.

In the end, it turned out that the bellow frames fit a different kind of Toyo than my 45G. I have located a set of frames so I have some more work to do before I can use it.

-Lars