PDA

View Full Version : Kauai

Matthew Cordery
15-Jun-2005, 12:10
Going to Kauai in early Sept with She Who Will Be Obeyed. ;-) Anyone been there shooting b&w? Normally, I shoot TMX but noticed I had a lot of trouble with it on the Big Island due to the constant breeze....can be a bugger to shoot plants when they won't stop moving and your exposure is around a 1/2 second or more.... Anything cool I shouldn't miss? Will be there about 9 days.

Capocheny
15-Jun-2005, 12:36
Matthew,

When you're there... be sure to visit The Princeville Hotel & Resort. It's a beautiful place and if you get out to where the pool is... look out towards the ocean. It appears as if the pool and ocean are contiguous. The inside of the hotel is pretty spectacular too!

Although we didn't make it up there on our trip... ask about the Black Beach (I think that's what it was called.) I've been told it's a great place to shoot.

Cheers

Matthew Cordery
15-Jun-2005, 13:16
Henry, Thanks for that. We're thinking of spending about 2-3 days on the south coast and then 2 days in Kokee and then the rest of the time up on the north coast. Thanks for the info! I have one question, I'd like to try making one of those beach shots where the sea foam gives the water a misty appearance. Are those a) a single time exposure or b) multple short exposures? If so, what sort of exposure times are we talking about? I realize it depends on the individual situation but just got to thinking about it....

Paul Cocklin
15-Jun-2005, 13:42
Matthew,

If you're talking about making the waves seem as if they are fog (or misty), I've always had success with a single long exposure. Depending on the wave frequency, I've had to use ND filters to slow the shutter down to around 4 to 8 seconds. Have a great trip, I'm green with envy. Cheers

Paul

QT Luong
15-Jun-2005, 13:51
I have not yet released my images of Kaui, but will do so on July 1st at the address:
http://www.terragalleria.com/pacific/kauai
Be sure to check them at that time for ideas. A terrific location to get the images you are talking about is at the W end of Kee beach with boulders in the foreground with the Na Pali cliffs in the distance. There is at times heavy surf. You'll see what I mean on my gallery. Best results will be obtained 15 min after sunset around f22 30s/1 min at
100 ASA.
Waimea Canyon has great interplay of light and shadows in the afternoon.

Ken Lee
15-Jun-2005, 13:59
First thing, go for a helicopter ride. The helicopter ride will aquaint you with the entire island and itshistory, and you will see many astonishing views not visible from ground level, not accessible by foot, etc. I would put the helicopter ride in the same category as my first visit to the Grand Canyon. It's that awesome an experience, especially if you've never been in a helicopter before.

Be sure to sit in the front seat. If you don't like helicopters, buy their video. In fact, even if you take the ride, buy the video. When you try to shoot through the floor or windows of the helicopter, you get tons of glare and dirt. When they shoot their video, they do it under ideal circumstances, with a steadycam, etc. etc.

Much of the natural beauty is in the center and north of the island. If you like walking or packing, travel to the northernmost portion of the highway, which is after Princeville. There you will find the beginning of the trails which go around to the unspoiled portions of the island, the Na Pali coast, etc.

QT Luong
15-Jun-2005, 15:05
Helicopter rides: Inter-Island based at the Port Allen airport near Hanepepe flies without windows. Take the widest lens you have, since the pilots fly *very* close to the formations. My 24mm (on 35mm) wasn't wide enough.

Randy Redford
15-Jun-2005, 17:37
Totally unrelated to photography, but for the time of your life, there is an ultralight flight out of the south coast area. You can arrange for a 1/2 or 1 hour flight. Somewhat pricy, but well worth it.

Jim Ewins
15-Jun-2005, 17:41
I'll second QT's recomendation, Kee beach is or can be unbelievable. And sunsets Ohhhhh. Just continue up the road from Princeville.

Sharon S.
15-Jun-2005, 18:12
...one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen, Lumahai Beach on the north side before you get to Princeville...It was the "nurse's beach" in "South Pacific" and it's a beauty. Also, the charm of Hanalei...

S

Garry Teeple
15-Jun-2005, 19:57
Also check out the Manaholo wet and dry caves. I was there in February and the winds made it hard to just keep the camera on the tripod, got some good shots of palm trees bent in the wind though.

Christian Olivet
15-Jun-2005, 21:47
I am from Maui and yes the wind factor is present in summer. I am having a hard time on my weekends because it is the only time I get to shoot the 8x10 but with these winds it is frustrating. Most times I don't even load my camera because it is blowing 20 mph wind solid with gusts of 25 to 35 mph. Kauai has less of a wind factor than Maui having only one major volcano in the center of the island and not two like here.
I have been using Efke 80 but TMY 400 would be the best bet on windy days and maybe calm ones too.
Where to go... Everywhere. Kauai is stunning and there is no bad place to be. Just keep film handy and obey your wife! :)

Christian Olivet
15-Jun-2005, 21:50
Wait, something I would love to do if I went there again is to take a boat ride to experience the Na Pali coast from the ocean. The cliffs are imppresive and many times you get to see caves or even land on a secluded beach. If you are really lucky you may see dolphins too. Whales are gone back to Alaska.

Matthew Cordery
15-Jun-2005, 21:59
Paul, with that one long exposure, is that ASA 100 film like TMX?

QTL, I'll be sure to check it out! Thanks!

It's a bit of a toss up between the helicopter ride or the horseback ride. I love helicopters and would probably be happiest tied to the side but SWMBO loves horses....

As for the whales, I've seen them off the coast of Maui. Had one come up right underneath the boat and blow a lot of 'whale humidity' all over some tourists.....

Michael Gordon
15-Jun-2005, 22:18
I'd recommend that you get the Ultimate Kaua'i Guidebook (http://tinyurl.com/7arbd). They'll send you to plenty of unusual places where the tourists don't go. I highly recommend the fascinating Glass Beach on the south shore in late afternoon/sunset.

Get the book, find your own things, and make unique images. Here's one of mine from a trip last July.

http://mgordonphotography.com/gallery/gallery_waterfall.htm

This is probably a no duh, but if you're loading holders daily on Kaua'i and you don't stay in an air-conditioned joint, you might have problems with sticky film. Beware.

QT Luong
15-Jun-2005, 22:53
Beautiful, Michael. Out of curiosity, which waterfall was that ?

Matthew Cordery
15-Jun-2005, 23:23
Michael, that's a unique perspective! Nicely done! I have the ultimate book. already pored over it.

Michael Gordon
16-Jun-2005, 09:57
Thanks, QT. It's unnamed (it's not very substantial at all), and I'd prefer not say where it is. It's freshwater pouring directly into a rocky ocean cove.