PDA

View Full Version : Super angulon XL 47mm or Grandagon 55mm?

ruilourosa
29-Mar-2017, 08:58
I am about to buy one of these... any experiences?? any is better?

Thanks

Bob Salomon
29-Mar-2017, 10:01
Apo Grandagon.

Thalmees
29-Mar-2017, 11:48
I am about to buy one of these... any experiences?? any is better?
Thanks
Hello ruilourosa,
IMHO, in general, Rodenstock lenses has better rendering.
Schneider Super Angulon XL 47mm/5.6, is not the equivalent of Rodenstock APO Grandagon 55/5.6, comparison is not fair.
I know and use the 47XL. Very super wide, it's sharp enough but not very sharp and I think not supposed to be at that extreme wide angle. Consider please it's limited flange focal length and IIIc center filter. I use it with flat lens board on Sinar with wide angle bellows II, still around 5mm extra after infinity.
Some claim it does need a center filter for reversal films only, but I do not think so. It does need a center filter even with B&W films.
Reviewing specifications, 47XL looks much wider than Grandagon, considering adding subject size effect of focal length plus 10° of coverage, together.
Focal length:--------48mm-----Vs-----55mm
Coverage:-----------120°------ Vs-----110°
FFD:-----------------59mm-----Vs----- 68mm
Hope this helps.

Armin Seeholzer
29-Mar-2017, 11:59
I had booth of them and only the 47 XL is still with me! The 55mm is not bad at all, but for me it was sometimes still to long, so I buy'd the 47 XL and had booth for at least 4-5 years but at the end the 47mm saved 2-3 times my ass for architecture pics in a small old town and also inside in small rooms!
From sharpness point of view I could not see really a difference, its just the widest lens for 4x5 inch if the 47 XL can't do it no other lens can do it!

You don't get mine Armin

EdSawyer
29-Mar-2017, 12:56
Schneider Super Angulon XL 47mm/5.6 is the one to get.

Jac@stafford.net
29-Mar-2017, 13:36
Apo Grandagon.

:) I rather expected Bob to say that. Both are excellent lenses. Make your choice on necessary coverage. I will say that I have never been disappointed by a Rodenstock lens, but when coverage is critical in this range, the S/A wins. Just know what you are doing if you use a centre filter.

Now, if you want to go crazy on 6x12cm, try the Rodenstock 35mm lens. Almost too wide. Amazing!

Myriophyllum
30-Mar-2017, 05:26
Hi,

the Apo-Grandagon 4.5/55 is one of the greatest lenses I ever used.
Mostly with center filter (Rodenstock) at f16 on 4x5".
If You don't need the extra angle of the SA 47XL, take the 55.

Best wishes
Jens

Armin Seeholzer
30-Mar-2017, 11:34
I use the SA 47 XL almost without CF it is my hero lens!