PDA

View Full Version : 8 hour printing session made into a 2 minute time lapse video :)

jbrianfoto
27-Mar-2017, 04:14
Good morning all - For fun I mounted a Nikon D3 on the ceiling of my darkroom a few weeks ago and let it run for a full Saturday's worth of printing. Just finished the video this weekend- it was a lot of fun producing it.

https://youtu.be/mqwFepAsl4c

Enjoy !

koraks
27-Mar-2017, 04:55
That's neat! I enjoyed watching that, thanks for sharing! A pleasant workspace you've got there also.

Old_Dick
27-Mar-2017, 07:52
Most wonderful, great work, space and process. Your timer is doing some work:)

bob carnie
27-Mar-2017, 08:27
Lots of prints done, is that 16 different images if so I am impressed

jbrianfoto
27-Mar-2017, 09:07
NAw - I made 3 of each, I jsut recounted, there were 18 done that day. I was beat afterwards, felt like I mowed 2 acres of lawn.

bob carnie
27-Mar-2017, 09:12
NAw - I made 3 of each, I jsut recounted, there were 18 done that day. I was beat afterwards, felt like I mowed 2 acres of lawn.

Thats still pretty damm good production in any darkroom You have a nice setup there.

Thalmees
27-Mar-2017, 09:54
Good morning all - For fun I mounted a Nikon D3 on the ceiling of my darkroom a few weeks ago and let it run for a full Saturday's worth of printing. Just finished the video this weekend- it was a lot of fun producing it.
https://youtu.be/mqwFepAsl4c
Enjoy !
Interesting really.
Thanks for sharing.

Lots of prints done, is that 16 different images if so I am impressed
+1
What about flattening and dust/pinholes if any?
Please elaborate as much as you can.
Thanks so much jbrianfoto.

Andrew O'Neill
27-Mar-2017, 09:56
I need to get a chair.

Tim Meisburger
27-Mar-2017, 13:33
Nice! I happened to be in Fredericksburg yesterday, wandering around with my wife, and we went over to Chatham House, but it so cloudy I didn't even get my camera out of the car.

dasBlute
27-Mar-2017, 21:36
that's a lot of time, I glaze over after about 4 hours, start making mistakes...

nice work, and nice music!

-Tim

jbrianfoto
28-Mar-2017, 08:57
Soooo - I let the prints dry on screens and sometimes fresh towels. Then I use my Seal 500 to hot press individual prints flat (usually 225 degrees for 2 minutes). I then let the prints sit underneath a Seal print weight (a big piece of hammer tone grey painted steel, weighs about 20 lbs) - until I'm ready to either mount or store the prints. Pinholes? I do get little depressions in some areas of my prints, but those are caused by crud that collects to the platen f my press. I try to keep it clean so this doesn't happen. I never have actually had holes in my prints. For dust and other small spots I use Spot-tone inks and a tiny little brush. I drip several colors into a white porcelain bowl and let it dry. When I need to spot something I dribble a few drops of distilled water on each shade and collect whatever I need to do the spotting.

Hope that helps :)

jbrianfoto
28-Mar-2017, 09:02
Nice! I happened to be in Fredericksburg yesterday, wandering around with my wife, and we went over to Chatham House, but it so cloudy I didn't even get my camera out of the car.

Ha ! You were very close. If you find yourself in the neighborhood again I'd love to meet you and your family. We're about 20 minutes form downtown F-Berg.

jbrianfoto
28-Mar-2017, 09:04
I need to get a chair.

Yes - it is very helpful. I process each print for 3 minutes with pretty much continual agitation. Being able to sit down is really nice. A HiFi is also equally important.

Pere Casals
28-Mar-2017, 09:45
Yes - it is very helpful. I process each print for 3 minutes with pretty much continual agitation. Being able to sit down is really nice. A HiFi is also equally important.

Thanks for sharing, now I'm lerning the wet and I feel it's a very motivating video to me. Prints look great, I can imagine how great !

Thalmees
28-Mar-2017, 10:40
Soooo - I let the prints dry on screens and sometimes fresh towels. Then I use my Seal 500 to hot press individual prints flat (usually 225 degrees for 2 minutes). I then let the prints sit underneath a Seal print weight (a big piece of hammer tone grey painted steel, weighs about 20 lbs) - until I'm ready to either mount or store the prints. Pinholes? I do get little depressions in some areas of my prints, but those are caused by crud that collects to the platen f my press. I try to keep it clean so this doesn't happen. I never have actually had holes in my prints. For dust and other small spots I use Spot-tone inks and a tiny little brush. I drip several colors into a white porcelain bowl and let it dry. When I need to spot something I dribble a few drops of distilled water on each shade and collect whatever I need to do the spotting.
Hope that helps :)
So it is not a matter of several hours! It's several days at least!
And, yes it helps, thanks so much jbrianfoto.

John Layton
28-Mar-2017, 11:48
Cool! ...but you really need to add some footage of yourself working with your enlarger. Just sayin!

jbrianfoto
28-Mar-2017, 17:30
Cool! ...but you really need to add some footage of yourself working with your enlarger. Just sayin!
You have a great idea here, I'll shoot some time lapse of me working the enlarger, then edit into this video. That way we all
Hear some more Dave Brubeck :)

Robert Brazile
29-Mar-2017, 06:35
Can we put in requests? Perhaps some "Blue Rondo A La Turk", or "Castilian Drums"? "It's a Raggy Waltz"?

Robert

jbrianfoto
29-Mar-2017, 11:06
Ha ! :)

Duolab123
2-Apr-2017, 20:22
Man, if you did all those prints from scratch, you are a blazing fast guy. I usually get close and then expose 1/2 stop on either side of what looks good wet, and then wait for the dry down to get to a final print. In the past I used a lot of Forte Polywarmtone, great stuff but the dry down density changes were huge, it was also crazy split toning that sometimes helped and other times got screwy. It takes me forever, good printing is what it's all about.
I like your setup. Keep more videos coming. Thanks for making the effort, shows people what they get with a real print! Properly cared for those prints will last for centuries.
Best Mike

jbrianfoto
3-Apr-2017, 04:02
Thank you Mike. I try to always use the same paper, this makes the dry-down more predictable. It has taken a long time, but it has finally gotten easier. Also, using the Ilford 500 head makes it really easy to switch from grade to grade without having to make time adjustments.