PDA

View Full Version : LF in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, NC

Gene Crumpler
14-Jun-2005, 15:45
Currently we have a LF (sorta) group in the NC triangle that meets once a month. The group is called the Triangle B&W Group. Although the Focus is on silver B&W, many of the members use LF. If you are interested, e-mail me genecrumpler@att.net for details.

Donald Qualls
15-Jun-2005, 06:56
Gene, we're already e-mailing, but for once a month I could probably find my way down to the Raleigh-Durham area for a meeting. I'd love to join a photo group; might help me get motivated to finish the darkroom mods on my bathroom and get the rest of the bits and pieces to actually start making some prints (for the first time since about 1981). I don't use 4x5, but I have a couple 9x12 cm plate cameras, and additional motivation to get out and use them would be welcome, too.

Bill Stice
15-Jun-2005, 07:32
Gene, I live in Cary and would be interested in knowing when and where your meetings are. I use large format a great deal. Thanks!

Bob Eskridge
15-Jun-2005, 10:12
I live just across the line in SC. I would love to make the two hour trip to the Raleigh area
at least once to meet some fellow B&W LF photographers. Let me know when you get together
in July. (My wife will be out of the county by then!)

Gene Crumpler
15-Jun-2005, 11:15
Bob;

Your e-mail address on the forum list bounced. Please e-mail me directly.

Guys and Gals;

The reason that I have not posted the information here is because the fellow who is the point of contact, has told me he does not want his address on the net. So you will have to contact me personally to get the information.

DrPablo
12-Aug-2006, 10:13
I know it's an old thread, but I'm moving to Greensboro (from Boston) in a few months, and I'll be working in either Durham or Chapel Hill (actually probably both). It would be great to meet up with your group. Also, not knowing the state very well, it would be nice to get some ideas of places to go shoot (other than the obvious, like the mountains). I'm very new to LF, but I've gotten interested in architectural photography. Feel free to share your ideas of any buildings I can shoot.

Donald Qualls
14-Aug-2006, 15:11
Say, DrPablo, I live in High Point (about 7 miles from Greensboro), and would be very interested in getting together for shooting expeditions. I shoot 1920s vintage plate cameras, a pre-War 4x5 Anniversary Speed Graphic, and need to get/make a new bellows for my Aletta monorail (the current one is too translucent to use outdoors) as well as make some upgrades to the rail and mounts to improve use of movements and shorter lenses.

DrPablo
14-Aug-2006, 18:01
Donald,
That sounds great, I'd be very interested to get together as well and to see your unique cameras. I'm living in Boston at the moment, and my wife is now living in our new place in Greensboro, and I'll be moving down permanently at some point probably this late fall or winter. I have a Calumet 45N, and as heavy and big as it is I'm finding ways to do some location shooting with it up here.

Dorothy Blum Cooper
5-Dec-2006, 21:58
If you two get together for any 'shooting'...let me know! I'll meet ya'!!!

Monty McCutchen
6-Dec-2006, 08:03
If the shooting road show ever makes it over to Asheville, I'm in! Hope it works out to meet some others who enjoy Large Format.

best,

Monty

jianghai
31-May-2007, 09:36
Does anyone know if this group is still going on and who to contact?

Donald Qualls
31-May-2007, 20:28
Been about a year since I last heard from 'em (costs too much for gas for the round trip for me), but if they're still there, Len Eselson is the one to contact -- squarepiks at earthlink dot net is his address.

You might look at Meetups.com and see if there's anything around you; I just found a group in the Triad that meets a couple blocks from my home and some of them apparently still shoot film. Wonder what they'll think if I show up with my Speed and a laptop bag full of lenses and film holders? :D