PDA

View Full Version : Quickload Question - Correspondence of film code to envelope code

Doug Herta
19-Mar-1998, 18:27
I have been working with Quickloads (Astia and Velvia) and have been experimenti ng with very small aperatures. I adjust shutter speed with aperature to get the same exposure so I can examine the transparency for diffraction. When I get my film back I am often not able to tell which of three exposures are from which F -stop. I notice an alphanumeric code on the Quickload envelope that changes seq uentially as well as a code on the top part of the transparency. Is there some type of correspondence between these two sets of codes? Can I enter the envelope code in my notes and relate it to the code on the returned transparency? (Is t his making any sense?)

Any input would be great!

Rob "John Henry" Rothman
19-Mar-1998, 18:51
I don't know the answer to your question, but two thoughts occur to me. First, since these are "test" shots anyway, why not just include a piece of paper, chal kboard, etc., somewhere in the scene on which you mark down the aperture in use? Second, have you tried contacting Fuji technical support? They might be able to answer your question as to codes.

Scott Schroeder
11-May-2005, 21:36
Anybody know how to do this? Relate the envelope number to the negative alphanumeric code. It seemed easy by process of elimination, but I hit a snag and need some verification.
Thanks for any help.

Hiro
13-May-2005, 13:30
I've asked Fuji, and a short answer is you can't use these codes to match the envelope and the film.

The codes represent the production lot and the section within the lot so that both the envelope and the film can be tracked back (separately) if there is a quality problem. For the purpose, codes are assigned to the envelope and the film independently and are not related to each other despite their similar appearance.

If you can't tell the difference on the films (speed/aperture combinations, small aperture changes, etc.), isn't the result of the experiment "no effect"?

Will Strain
13-May-2005, 13:49
Not an easy solution, but what we did once for a calibration test, is take the film out of the quickload packet, and use a craft punch to notch the edges 1,2,3 notches...etc. To match our codes. Then take the film in a regular film box.

Not elegant, but servicable.

Michael Chmilar
13-May-2005, 13:59
The labs I have used will attach my "codes" to the developed film (ie. the clear plastic sleeves each transparency is returned in).

In the field, I write notes on the Quickload packets. At home, I number the packets, and copy the numbers and notes to a database. The lab puts a sticker with the number on each clear plastic film sleeve. I can use the number look up information in my notes.

Optionally, you can ask the lab to return the empty Quickload packets, and then you don't have to transcribe your notes.