PDA

View Full Version : D2 bellows cheap fix

rwl7532
15-Mar-2017, 12:55
I have an older D2 that I want to sell for cheap on craigslist. Problem is the bellows has problems - there are many light leaks. Corners on the left front and the outer edges of the front and side folds. It was only $65 when I bought it, but I want to put minimal $ into any repair and I would like it functional.

Suggestions please.

greginpa
15-Mar-2017, 13:25
black electric tape and or liquid electric tape.

stawastawa
15-Mar-2017, 14:22
I used black book binders tape.
If you search the forums there are a few other good recommendations.... ahha! I found my list, most of these are untried by me:

Bellows Repair:
*"ultra black"
*Elmer's glue, lamp black and a drop of dish soap
*liquid electrical tape
*bookbinders/photographers/gaffers tape
*black india ink and latex glue (Copydex). Mix as much indian ink as it takes to turn the Copydex black and use immediately to paint over the hole(s). Allow 24Hrs to set before using.

cleaning:
*w/ Isoproply Alcohol. if very dirty
*otherwsie just damp cloth

lexol for leather
(or better: Gliptone)
beeswax + something... (non-vegetable)

Bellows conditioning:
*saddle soap then water repellant
*Ballistol
*Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator

misc:
Famowood wood filler (the best stuff in the world)

Do lets us know what you used and how it worked

Eric Woodbury
15-Mar-2017, 15:18
Pinholes I fill with a black liquid rubber product in a tube from the auto store. Apply from inside bellow. Stays flexible.

Larger holes I'd use gaffers tape. I don't know book binders tape, but that sounds good.

BetterSense
15-Mar-2017, 18:35
mine has holes all over it, and I can't be bothered to fix it.

Jim Jones
15-Mar-2017, 20:04
For bellows with a fabric liner, extend the bellows and scrub a thin application of black liquid artist's acrylic liquid paint thoroughly into the fabric with an old soft toothbrush. Let the paint dry completely before compressing the bellows. However, I don't know if the D2 has a fabric lined bellows.

rwl7532
15-Mar-2017, 23:44
https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3724/33336420851_72c253bffd.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/SMPSuK)Sad Bellows (https://flic.kr/p/SMPSuK)

LabRat
16-Mar-2017, 01:30
Go to a good art store and buy a roll of acid free archival black art tape... This tape is thinner than other tapes, and rides around the folds well... This tape leaks a very little strong light, so a layer on the inside and outside will plug up the pore holes in the tape...

If you tape bellows, remember that if they are stretched completely out and taped, when you compress them the tape will be stretched more when closed and create strain points, so it will tension better if the bellows are at least a little compressed... The tape adhesive is strong enough for many years of holding and use, but can be carefully removed if not burnished if you screw up somewhere while doing this...

The safest way for a beginner is to buy the 2" wide tape and cut a # of strips the same length and start going along the long edge along the folds, while taking a burnisher to the middle or edge of the tape in the first valley, then the next valley etc, and once that's done, carefully fold over the corner and press those in with the burnisher (a Popsicle stick will do), then repeat with more strips... Go across, not along the bellows length...

With a little practice, good results can be had... If there is a big gap in the corners, some thin black paper under the tape will give the corner some structure and seal up better... And don't strain the bellows too much now, because they are delicate...

Good luck!!!

Steve K

jose angel
16-Mar-2017, 02:23
This bellows is too worn. It doesn`t have a good prognosis... It certainly needs to be replaced.
So my approach is to cover the full damaged area, that is, the whole corner from top to bottom, with a black synthetic cloth. Cordura type material is fine, but better a tighter material to avoid as much leaking as possible (anyway, I`d not care if the material is leaking a bit). Don`t use a very thick material, you need to keep the corner`s shape.
I`d completely extend the bellows. Draw the limits or the area to repair and apply contact glue to both sides (cloth and bellows). A "black witch" type glue is perfect (the one used to repair wet suits). Let it dry for a while and carefully join the parts (there is no chance of repositioning it). Then fully compress the bellows and let it dry. Repeat it on the four corners.
Personally, a bad fix will be like eating other`s seed grain. It may be not possible to repair a bad fix.
FWIW, the backing paper in roll films makes an interesting blackout material. I have used it quite a lot of times.

boatboy343
16-Mar-2017, 03:33
black 3m super weather strip glue from a napa auto parts store.
extend bellows half way
put a small light inside like a night lite so you can see the bad parts
put on with a small hobby glue stick(little popsicle stick)
dries fast so be careful
let fully dry overnight
repaired many a view camera and enlarger bellows with this stuff.

domaz
16-Mar-2017, 18:57
If you are going to sell it is it really worth it to fix it?

rwl7532
17-Mar-2017, 07:57
If you are going to sell it is it really worth it to fix it?

Yes and No. If I use it at all before I sell, I'd like it working.
Which brings to mind another aspect I'm curious about: If the safelight is on (red) and the enlarger light is only on for seconds, adverse affects from stray light from bellows holes/pinholes should be pretty minor, right?

David Karp
17-Mar-2017, 08:59
How cheap do you want to sell it? You might be able to do better by parting it out and selling it on eBay.

Is it in otherwise decent condition? If yes, you might do better by replacing the bellows. There are a couple of eBay sellers, one from Hong Kong and the other from Japan, who sell 2D bellows. Might be worth it.

rwl7532
17-Mar-2017, 09:41
How cheap do you want to sell it? .
Cheap enough that it is gone in a flash. My craiglist postings of the past are gone in a day. The object is to clear space which is limited. Of course wood working items (jointer, band saw) are in higher demad than an enlarger.

I found a replacement bellows - it will be here eventually. I refinished the baseboard (it was sad as well) and will include a 50mm f/4 Componon lens and 35mm neg carrier.

David Karp
17-Mar-2017, 10:04
Hah! I misread it. I was thinking camera, not enlarger!

You are the exception to the rule. For a while, all I saw was low prices for sales of darkroom stuff. Now, everything I see near me is overpriced.

Bill Burk
17-Mar-2017, 20:31
the enlarger light is only on for seconds, adverse affects from stray light from bellows holes/pinholes should be pretty minor, right?

Right... more light probably slips out between the seams where the lamphouse hits the negative carrier...

Of course if the light's blaring out the seams of the bellows that is a different story.

DKtucson
18-Mar-2017, 14:19
If the holes are numerous get some 420 denier black nylon packcloth and reline the inside. Fashion it into an oversize tube using contact cement and glue it top & bottom...spot glue it on the sides.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

rwl7532
18-Mar-2017, 19:21
If the holes are numerous get some 420 denier black nylon packcloth and reline the inside. Fashion it into an oversize tube using contact cement and glue it top & bottom...spot glue it on the sides.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I like the idea. I was thinking similar but on the outside. But no matter, I pulled the trigger on an eBay DII bellows. I'll post a pic upon the install.

rwl7532
23-Mar-2017, 12:34
mine has holes all over it, and I can't be bothered to fix it.

And you get good results regardless? Now that the replacement bellows is here, I'm willing to adopt that view. Pinholes galore but no where as bad as the bellows I pictured above.