PDA

View Full Version : Ektachrome

macandal
9-Mar-2017, 10:37
I recently began buying (expired--of course) 4x5 sheets of Ektachrome. I think what I got was a box of Ektachrome 64. I've noticed different types of Ektachrome, there's the 64, 100, 200, some with no ISO stated, and then there's "duplicating" film. Can someone explain all the varieties of Ektachrome there were (in 4x5), especially the "duplicating" type and how one of the different varieties is more sought after than other?

Thanks.

Jmarmck
9-Mar-2017, 13:11
In 35mm and 120 world Ektachrome 64 was replaced by 100 in the early 1990s......or earlier. There was also a 64T version for was tungsten lighting. As for duplication I am not aware of any specific emulsion.

stawastawa
9-Mar-2017, 15:24
well there is a lot of ektachrome ... I can't tell you much about it but there is this table:
http://photoweb.ru/exusr/pdf/kodak/ppi668.pdf

and yes there is Kodak Ektachrome Duplicating film. I have it in my freezer but have not shot it yet.
As a starting place I hear: "about 8asa with an 85b filter for starters processed in E6" , FYI "has no contrast"
read more here (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?52429-Ektachrome-duplicating-film) and here (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?88949-Kodak-Ekachrome-Color-Duplicating-Film-6121-anyone)

Show us what you get if you work-it out! and tell us how =)

Peter Gomena
9-Mar-2017, 15:35
Ektachrome duplicating film was used to duplicate transparencies. You can use the sheet form to contact print originals or enlarge smaller transparencies onto it. It is a tungsten-balanced film, not a daylight film, hence the need for the warm filters to use it in daylight. Architectural photographers sometimes would use it as a camera film in high-contrast situations precisely because of its low contrast. It is low in contrast because duplicating always increases contrast a little.

macandal
9-Mar-2017, 16:28
Ektachrome duplicating film was used to duplicate transparencies. You can use the sheet form to contact print originals or enlarge smaller transparencies onto it. It is a tungsten-balanced film, not a daylight film, hence the need for the warm filters to use it in daylight. Architectural photographers sometimes would use it as a camera film in high-contrast situations precisely because of its low contrast. It is low in contrast because duplicating always increases contrast a little.So, is it safe to assume that Ektachrome duplicating is a bit more difficult to handle and one should stick with "regular" (for lack of a better word) versions of this film?

Thanks.

David Lobato
9-Mar-2017, 17:07
There were more than one ISO 64. EPR 64 was daylight balanced. Good color, medium contrast. I used a lot of it in the 80's and liked it a lot. EPT was tungsten balanced, a good film for indoor lighting with very good reciprocity characteristics.

There were more than one ISO 100 films. EPN 100 had the most accurate color for commercial and industrial color work with artificial lighting. Its color was considered bland for landscapes and nature. EPP 100 had a pumped up saturation, which was it's main attribute, and the typical Ektachrome blue cast. For a short time there was Lumiere 100, an experiment in saturation that didn't last long. Then came the E100g and E100VS films with normal and enhanced saturation.

The only one I never used was EPN 100.

Mrportr8
14-Mar-2017, 07:31
So, is it safe to assume that Ektachrome duplicating is a bit more difficult to handle and one should stick with "regular" (for lack of a better word) versions of this film?

Thanks.
Duplicating film had lower contrast to offset the fact that each time you duplicate a transparency the contrast would increase with each generation. I've never used it for general photography and doubt many others would have since it was designed for a specific application and not available at the corner drugstore or camera shop like the other standard films.

Pere Casals
14-Mar-2017, 08:57
Duplicating film had lower contrast to offset the fact that each time you duplicate a transparency the contrast would increase with each generation. I've never used it for general photography and doubt many others would have since it was designed for a specific application and not available at the corner drugstore or camera shop like the other standard films.

This is.

"duplicating"

Thanks.

I've just started using Fuji CDU-II duplicating film, similar to the Kodak product. Presently I've a 8x10 box of 50 sheets. It is also developed with standard E-6.

I plan to use it to make contact copies from velvia sheets, or to enlarge from 4x5 sheets (or 6x7cm) to 8x10. In that process color head of the enlarger can be used to correct color and density, and also burn/dodging can be done to get a desired transparency, and one can do it color by color, for example burning in red some clouds.

This is to enjoy it in the light table, if one is to scan the result then it can be done in Photoshop.

Duplicating film can also be shot, but you have to expect dull images that have to be corrected in photoshop. You also can later contact copy that duplicating film shot on Provia/Velvia to get an standard result, inverse to the normal procedure.

Here you can see duplicating film samples, adjusted later (I guess) with photoshop or the like: https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=fuji%20cdu-ii

stawastawa
14-Mar-2017, 11:11
I have also heard that people enjoy shooting CDU II at night.

Pere Casals
14-Mar-2017, 12:18
I have also heard that people enjoy shooting CDU II at night.

Yes !!!! :)

It has 3 stops more latitude than Provia and the low contrast makes it an ideal candidate for contrasty night scenes.

Still it's very low ISO 20, and I don't know yet what happens with reciprocity and color shift.

I found a very cheap 50 sheet 8x10 box at the ebay, recently expired but frozen. For the moment I've only made a test strip with a 6x7 contact copy to check the thing, worked perfect.

When I bought it I was not shure about what I was going to do with it, I only saw 50 8x10 slide sheets ;) but now I see as it an "special" asset.

This Flickr user https://www.flickr.com/photos/jaz99/ kindly explained me how to use it. He also is shooting nice Ektachrome, a trend that will come back soon !!!! Thanks Kodak!

I've also an asset of Ektachrome 13x18, so I'm really eager to finish my E-6 sheet processor to put all that at work !

The greatest thing about LF is that one thinks that with a box of 20 sheets one is to make 20 great photographs that he will remember for ever, one after the other one