PDA

View Full Version : Nagaoka vs. Technika IV

Yef
6-Mar-2017, 09:08
What would you choose as a portable camera for full body portraits, wight is a big issue for me. Trying to find the smallest camera for my need, a quick set up and stable back to get the plate in and out. I'll be using it only with rodenstock apo sironar s 210mm.

thank you

Willie
6-Mar-2017, 09:25
If weight is the issue you have only one choice.
If a solid camera that doesn't move or change after being set is more important - get the Linhof.

John Kasaian
6-Mar-2017, 09:26
Nagaoka=lightweight/Technika=heavy
Heavy=stable/Lightweight=not so much
If movements aren't an issue, you might consider a Pacemaker Crown Graphic

Yef
6-Mar-2017, 09:54
Is the Nagaoka that unstable ?

Jim Jones
6-Mar-2017, 10:06
My Anba Ikeda (very similar to the Nagaoka) is about half the weight of a Pacemaker. The Nagaoka needs to be used on a tripod or other solid support while the Pacemaker with a properly set up rangefinder can be handheld. Weight becomes unimportant when a camera is used on a tripod. Both would work fine with the Rodenstock 210. The Nagaoka is more versatile in regards to movements and for vertical format portraits. Movements aren't necessary for most portraits unless the plane of focus is deliberately slanted with a fast lens. The Nagaoka uses the very common Linhof style lens boards while the Pathfinder uses a proprietary board which is plentiful on ebay. The Pacemaker was designed for heavy use while the Nagaoka is lightly constructed for light weight. With careful handling it is durable. In normal use it is stable enough. In high wind or with a heavy lens the Pacemaker might be better.

Bob Salomon
6-Mar-2017, 10:13
If you are doing portraits the Linhof with its coupled rangefinder and accessory Multifocus viewer and handgrip would easily be the best choice. Look at Mary Ellen Marks portraits done with her Technika, hand held.

John Kasaian
6-Mar-2017, 10:36

I'm referring to the movements being locked down as stability. With older wooden cameras the locking mechanisms can wear with time---if you accidentally bump the camera you may knock out it of position easier than with a metal camera like the Linhof. If by stability we're talking about being on a tripod, arguably a heavier tripod is going to buck wind and vibrations better, but it is going to be bulky and heavier.
I only mentioned the Pacemaker as a possible compromise between the two cameras you mentioned (lighter than the Linhof, more rigid than the Nagaoka.)

Willie
6-Mar-2017, 14:55

Compared to a Linhof Technika, yes.
In reality, not all that sturdy as it is lightweight but you can use it without problems if you are careful. Won't last like the Linhof will.

Bob Salomon
6-Mar-2017, 16:05
I'm referring to the movements being locked down as stability. With older wooden cameras the locking mechanisms can wear with time---if you accidentally bump the camera you may knock out it of position easier than with a metal camera like the Linhof. If by stability we're talking about being on a tripod, arguably a heavier tripod is going to buck wind and vibrations better, but it is going to be bulky and heavier.
I only mentioned the Pacemaker as a possible compromise between the two cameras you mentioned (lighter than the Linhof, more rigid than the Nagaoka.)

And no backmovements as view cameras have.

Bill_1856
6-Mar-2017, 18:55
I have a Nagaoka and a Tech IV. The Nagaoka is in NO WAY UNSTABLE.
For portraits, I prefer a Super D Graflex.